GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
brad7373
Go Kart Champion

Drives: gti
Stage 3 APR or Eurodyne

Ok, so im going to add a frankenturbo. Guaranteed. I have APR right now, and read that even stage 3 isnt the best for this turbo...

CAR IS DSG BY THE WAY

my question is, do i leave is stage 2+ for awhile until i can get the tune.

Tune to stage 3 and use the Frankenturbo

Or do i just have to do both the turbo and eurodyne all at once.

Honestly really like the flash yourself aspect of eurodyne.

Open to any options for my car, what ever is best for the frankenturbo.

I already have all supporting mods.

Last edited by brad7373; 04-29-2015 at 02:38 AM.
brad7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Velociraptor Thrust
FIA GT Champion

Drives: MK6 & G35
I think you are very lost with the terms used for modding this car.

Elaborate on what APR's stage 2+ is.

APR's stage III is a whole new turbo, bigger than the k04. I believe APR uses the GTX2867R.

Please list your mods.
Velociraptor Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 AM   #3
brad7373
Go Kart Champion

Just stage 2 , The shop said there was a reflash from APR that was stage 2+ ? i dont know im not a car tuner.

I have::

Intake
Straight pipe (eurojet)
apr tune

ill soon finish the exhaust and consider a intercooler if needed.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:36 AM   #4
KMK702
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI
Intercooler is needed if going bigger turbo k04 Frankenturbo ect. I'd go Eurodyne not APR stage 3. I wouldn't run the turbo long without a proper tune for it. Get an intercooler before finishing the exhaust. Catback is more or less just for sound. I have a k04 with a stock catback and get great performance.
KMK702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
brad7373
Go Kart Champion

besides APR where is another good intercooler. not trying to spend a lot. Any nice DIY cheap kits that are worth while.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #6
vwgti2.0t
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
It sound like you are currently APR Stage 2.
APR does not make a "2+" tune for the TSI..
What your tuner is probably talking about is flashing your car with a K04 file to try to get the frnakenturbo to run on. This probably won't work well.
DO NOT flash an APR stage 3 file on your car...that probably won't end well. Not to mention, you can't buy that tune seperately so it would be impossible.

You are going to need to run Eurodyne and get a custom tune to get the frankenturbo to run properly. It a LOT of work, and there still isn't an off the shelf file for it. That's really why nobody has the Frankenturbo. It doesn't make any more power than a regular K04 (if it does it's like 5whp), and there is a lot more than goes into tuning it. Even if you get the turbo for a grand, by the time you are done tuning you could have a K04 and off the shelf K04 file that is reliable and runs spot on all year long.
vwgti2.0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #7
lilfleck

Drives: '11 GTI Autobahn, DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
What your tuner is probably talking about is flashing your car with a K04 file to try to get the frnakenturbo to run on. This probably won't work well.
DO NOT flash an APR stage 3 file on your car...that probably won't end well. Not to mention, you can't buy that tune seperately so it would be impossible.

You are going to need to run Eurodyne and get a custom tune to get the frankenturbo to run properly. It a LOT of work, and there still isn't an off the shelf file for it. That's really why nobody has the Frankenturbo. It doesn't make any more power than a regular K04 (if it does it's like 5whp), and there is a lot more than goes into tuning it. Even if you get the turbo for a grand, by the time you are done tuning you could have a K04 and off the shelf K04 file that is reliable and runs spot on all year long.
what he said
lilfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #8
Velociraptor Thrust
FIA GT Champion

Drives: MK6 & G35
If your tuneing shop was telling you all this you need to find someone else. Sounds to me like they are trying to take advantage of you. GIAC has a f23 file, and DM has a k04 file they play with for the f23. But I don't think they just give the file out to people. Kinda need approval things like that. But f23 is cool, but k04 is just an easier option imo. I almost went f23. Had everything lined up but could not find a shop i trusted to do the install and tune for it.
Velociraptor Thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
Dooger213
Drag Racing Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****2.0t View Post
Just to add some insight, yes APR doesn't have a "2+" tune for the TSI but is labeled in APR's system as such when you ask for Stage 2 tune. When my tuner told me he flashed with 2+ I was thrown off so he showed me what his flash options where and there was no "2," just "2+"