GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R32 rear brake upgrade project

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
Didn't think this was going to be a project, so to speak. But when the brakes arrived, I realized it was going to require more work than just slapping 'em on...
The paint on the calipers was flaking and bubbling all over, so here they are:
1) after a little bit of sanding, 2) being painted with high-heat caliper paint from Pepboys, 3) finished product, 4) slotted rear rotors that go with them.
Final product will consist of the aforementioned parts along with stock GTI front brakes & pads combined with slotted rotors, Mintex Red Box pads for the rear, stainless steel brake lines, and super blue racing brake fluid.
Standby for more pics in the next couple of weeks. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• CIMG0155.jpg
    CIMG0155.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 424
  • CIMG0157.jpg
    CIMG0157.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 387
  • CIMG0159.jpg
    CIMG0159.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 462
  • CIMG0160.jpg
    CIMG0160.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 391

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Keep the updates coming. I'm wanting to do the same upgrade.

I was thinking R32 had blue brakes too???

How much larger are they, and are they single of dual piston?

Let us know how they feel when you get them on. Are you going to put your stock front brakes in the back?

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
I picked these up second hand. They were probably initially ordered from ECS or DBC without the blue powdercoating.
From the ECS website: "Converts the standard rear OEM VW/Audi 232x9mm non-vented brake system to the Audi TT/ VW 337 256x20mm vented system." Someone with more technical knowledge, please chime in to clarify what those numbers are referring to. lol
Still single piston. Rotor size is increased from 286mm to 310mm.

Last edited:

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
no front brake upgrade? thats where most of your braking is going to come from, adding better braking to the rear might upset the brake balance.

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
vw's tend to have slightly more rear brake bias. most people will see the back pads wearing out before the front.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
I find this rear braking idea hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible. When you brake, most of the vehicles weight shifts to the front wheels, and its much more efficient to do a vast majority of the braking with the fronts.

If VW uses an unsually high rear brake bias, it might explain the poor braking on the stock GTI. I was planning on starting a thread on this subject, but I am very disappointed in the stock brakes. I have considered doing a full R32 brake conversion, but I fear that I still won't be satisfied. My problem in that you are very limited by the size of brakes you can run with 17inch wheels as I have.

dsm1983

Go Kart Champion
I find this rear braking idea hard to believe, but I suppose it is possible. When you brake, most of the vehicles weight shifts to the front wheels, and its much more efficient to do a vast majority of the braking with the fronts.

If VW uses an unsually high rear brake bias, it might explain the poor braking on the stock GTI. I was planning on starting a thread on this subject, but I am very disappointed in the stock brakes. I have considered doing a full R32 brake conversion, but I fear that I still won't be satisfied. My problem in that you are very limited by the size of brakes you can run with 17inch wheels as I have.

Trust me, I see exactly where you're coming from. But the first time I ever heard about our cars using more rear braking, it was from a very reputable source.
The reasoning behind them being designed this way was that it causes less nose dive under heavy braking. Which makes sense.
And just so everyone's aware, eventually I'll probably go with larger brakes up front, along with a two piece rotor.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
Mild bias helps trail braking and rotation on corner entry.

A heavy rear brake bias is very dangerous. While cornering, if you attempt to brake, the rear will lose traction too easily causing snap oversteer, not the nice gentle kind we all love. Even in a straight line a heavy rear bias will cause the car to squirm.

Aonarch

Ready to race!

A heavy rear brake bias is very dangerous. While cornering, if you attempt to brake, the rear will lose traction too easily causing snap oversteer, not the nice gentle kind we all love. Even in a straight line a heavy rear bias will cause the car to squirm.

Dead on.

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion

x3.

What Loki said. If you have heavy rear bias on a front-wheel drive car with most of it's weight on the front axle, you are not using your full braking capability.

I did some bias calculations with the stock GTI brake system, and look what it came up with:

67/33 bias in the stock system. For light braking, I can see the system using more rear brake than the front, like you would with a bicycle when slowing gradually. When stopping hard, you're going to have more weight shift to the front, and the front brakes do most of the hard work.