GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

uglybastard's PSSMKLLR GTI owner journal

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
The 2011 2dr GTI 6-speed was bought used, March 2015; this was my only vehicle when i bought the thing. This GTI looked good when I bought it, but over time i noticed imperfections on exterior that i get to fix over time. Keeping this first post organized for cataloging purposes.

When bought:

.: Approx. 59,000 miles

.: "Clean CarFax" (I am a skeptic and cynic with regard to these services...)
.: 18" Detroits - rashed like a mofo; mounted with Dunlops
.: Carbon Steel Gray Exterior, Interlagos interior
.: RCD315 radio

No evident history of modifications, but probably had had some body work done at some point.

If you want to play the "Whats the weirdest thing you found in your Mk6" game, I have a contender for you all.... Fun story about the test drive - Took the thing for a spin, twice. second time i pull into a grocery store parking lot to look the exterior a bit better and decided to look under the hood to see what I was playing with.

Yep. That's a dead possum wedged in there. When I bought the car we had just received our last bad snowstorm of the winter, so I rationalized that when they were plowing the lot they fired this thing up to get all the snow out of the way, and this thing came along and found a warm place to sleep and got stuck.

I asked the dealer to remove the thing for me before buying - made sure they didn't charge me for it :LOL: The guy who removed it said it was huge (2+ feet). No, I didn't keep the memento, in hindsight i wish i had gotten taxidermy done.

Modifications

.: Summer WHEELS: 3SDM 0.06 18x8.5 et42, machine silver with Hankook Ventus Evo2 225/40R18
.: Winter WHEELS: Enkei TSP6 17" wheels, Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 225/45ZR17
.: Prior wheels used: Fifteen52 Tarmac, silver, 18x8.5 et45; Tires Hankook Ventus Evo2 225/40ZR18

Engine:​

.: K04 Hybrid Turbo (HPA)
.: Cobb Stage II tune
.: Integrated Engineering Cold Air Intake
.: Fluidampr
.: Neuspeed Intercooler pipe (IC outlet to throttle body)
.: Soundaktor delete
.: R8 Coils
.: NGK platinum spark plugs (PFR7S8EG)

Exhaust:​

.: 42DD 3" TBE
.: Steve Petty Motorsports Street catback

Transmission:​

.: S3 Short shifter
.: South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch
.: BFI stage 1 engine mount
.: BFI stage 1 transmission mount
.: BFI stage 1 dogbone insert
.: Torque Solution pendulum mount

Suspension:​

.: WRD Advantage Street Coilovers
.: Unibrace UB
.: Unibrace XB
.: VWR Sport springs
.: Koni orange struts (front/rear)

Interior:

.: Recaro Seats / eBay sliders / Planted Technology brackets
.: Carbonmafia Carbon Fiber Steering wheel
.: EuroKreations Rear Seat Delete kit
.: BFI shift knob - black leather
.: RNS510 radio
.: Bluetooth module bracket and plastic cover (This)
.: OEM 9w7 Bluetooth module (for A2DP ability)
.: OEM Rear window shade PN 5K0064361 (imported from europe, thanks ebay)
.: Backseat window shades (OEM)
.: Hardwired Valentine One with windshield mount.
.: Shift boot swapped from leather to something different.
.: Eurocubby
.: Golf R Dash Trim (silver)
.: Golf Door Cards (silver trim)
.: OEM Leather Seats
.: GTI seat handle inlays
.: Under seat trays (OEM) (Link)

Exterior:​

.: Seibon TM style carbon fiber hood
.: DutchPartsCo front splitter
.: OEM Front lip/valence, colormatched
.: ABT style grille w/ White painted Front Emblem
.: OEM Aspherical, heated, blue tinted sideview mirrors
.: USP hatch pop kit
.: Colormatched side skirts
.: Rear wiper delete (Urotuning kit)
.: bespoke rear diffuser
.: White painted rear emblem
.: Klii Motorwerkes rear badge insert (colormatch)

Lighting:​

.: Lamin-X film on fogs (smoked)
.: Colormatched Side markers
.: Helix-style sequential LED mirror signals
.: OEM Euro LED Tails, Dark Cherry
.: DeAuto LED license plate lights
.: Yellow Halogen Fog bulbs
.: DeAuto LED fogs (white/yellow/strobe)

Misc:​

.: [REDACTED] aluminum skid plate
.: CJM Ind. center vent mount w/ NewSouth boost gauge
.: USP Motorsports engine bay dress up bolt kit
.: CJM Cup Holder Delete

VCDS (noteworthy things):​

.: gauge sweep
.: city lights disabled for side markers
.: seatbelt chime disabled
.: steering wheel mute button
.: MFI DRL disable
.: Windows down/up with fob

Last edited:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Last week had these mounted:

Enkei TSP6 17"x8 in GUNMETAL, with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 225/45ZR17's

Thanks to Sonny from TireRack for his help with this - had to be special ordered from Enkei.

Buddy of mine says I should do coilovers to lower by an inch or so to eliminate the wheel gap.. maybe next summer?

Last edited:

Stinger

Ready to race!
Now you just need to lower that baby...

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Suspension to-do/wishlist (no certain order)

- Bilstein PSS coilovers
- Unibrace xB
- ??? RSB (will need to research this one a bit...)

Any recommendations on RSB options? might go pre-owned since its a hidden piece of metal...

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
if youre just going to do the rsb and not the matching fsb then go smaller like the 24mm whiteline. otherwise it'll be too aggressive.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
if youre just going to do the rsb and not the matching fsb then go smaller like the 24mm whiteline. otherwise it'll be too aggressive.

I was told a FSB would not be worth doing - it makes sens to me but could you confirm that it wouldn't add value?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
I did this a while back:

flat white to go with the plasdtidipped GTI lettering. I intend to repaint those instead of leaving them dipped, but that's a fall project.

I also will be adding some white to the front grille and emblem. top secret shit for now.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
I was told a FSB would not be worth doing - it makes sens to me but could you confirm that it wouldn't add value?

ive always said to anyone thatll listen that the matching set of both front and back feels way more stable than just the rear.

i went with a 27mm rear for about a year before adding the front one and during that year i had a lot of fun with a surprisingly tail happy car but also spun around a bunch of times in a very uncontrollable way. One time would have totalled my car if i was 15 feet closer to the other car coming the opposite way.

with just the rear the car felt really twitchy on the highway and once you do the front it becomes much more stable and the nose gets way faster to change direction as well.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
ive always said to anyone thatll listen that the matching set of both front and back feels way more stable than just the rear.

i went with a 27mm rear for about a year before adding the front one and during that year i had a lot of fun with a surprisingly tail happy car but also spun around a bunch of times in a very uncontrollable way. One time would have totalled my car if i was 15 feet closer to the other car coming the opposite way.

with just the rear the car felt really twitchy on the highway and once you do the front it becomes much more stable and the nose gets way faster to change direction as well.

Interesting. Think i may try unibrace xB first to see how that feels. Need money and time to install though.