GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions

Old 06-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
220volt
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI 2 Door Autobahn DSG
Trade in: DSG Autobahn for 6MT Autobahn

I want to trade in my 2013 DSG Autobahn (in impeccable condition) for similar Autobahn with 6MT. So I went to Carmax and I did find car very similar to mine, and here's the deal they offered.

My car:
MK6 2013 Gray Autobahn with DSG (2 door)
Mileage: Little over 10k (only 1 owner, myself)
Trade in offered for my car: $22,300

Their car:
MK6 2014 Black Autobahn with 6MT (4 door)
Mileage 12k (dealer owned, no owners)
Price: $25,000

Not a good deal in my opinion so I declined it. I mean, my car has less miles plus the DSG (extra $1,100). So the spread should not be that large. I understand they have to make money but I still don't think it is a good deal. What do you guys think?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
yeah.. wow, that trade-in is rough. Autobahns lose a lot of value over the first 1-2 years because they cost so much to begin with.

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
220volt
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
yeah.. wow, that trade-in is rough. Autobahns lose a lot of value over the first 1-2 years because they cost so much to begin with.
Yeah, they offered $21,000 to buy it outright. Even the dealer said yeah that might not be much, but it is out of my hands lol.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
GunKata
MILFn00dzHunter.com

Drives: '03 350Z Track, '11 Pcar, '06 Oddy
what is your payoff? considered selling privately? I'd ask for more off their car - will they include an extended warranty at that price?

No GunKata, no care.

Need remote help buying or selling a car?

Chicago Car Network

I can haz 350z racecar?

Gone: 2011 Audi A3 Quattro DSG K04

Also Gone: 2011 GTI Autobahn MT Stage 2 BBK Lots of Mods
GunKata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
220volt
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunKata View Post
what is your payoff? considered selling privately? I'd ask for more off their car - will they include an extended warranty at that price?
No I agree, I will definitely go private route.
The only warranty they offered was what is left on the factory. It is a Carmax so I am not sure if I can haggle for the price. I did tell them to let me know if car goes down in price.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Tkulhanc134
Formula 1 Driver

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
when i was at the dealership getting my mk6 serviced (which was autobahn 2-door manual), one of the salesmen told me that 2-door manual autobahn's are rare, not sure if i can call it BS, cause that happened when mk7 was right around the corner so clearly he's trying to get me a new one.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #7
cevil203
Oval Newbie

Drives: GTI
i'd be curious about doing something similar. Do people do this type of trade in? Are dealers reluctant? I'm actually the opposite, have a 4 dr 2013 autobahn (manual) with 27k and would like to go DSG
cevil203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 130k+
Dealers have to make money. They will gladly do this kind of trade, but don't expect an even swap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
220volt
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevil203 View Post
i'd be curious about doing something similar. Do people do this type of trade in? Are dealers reluctant? I'm actually the opposite, have a 4 dr 2013 autobahn (manual) with 27k and would like to go DSG
Ohh yeah. As long as they make money.

Damn, if yours had little less miles and no modes, we could just swap. Mine is also UMG
Old 06-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
PLF8593
FIA World Rally Car Newbie

Drives: '15 CSG 2dr manual GTI SE w/ LP
Also, there is no such thing as a 2014 Autobahn. It's probably a "Driver's Edition" - which does NOT come with the upgraded Dynaudio sound system.
PLF8593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
220volt
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF8593 View Post
Also, there is no such thing as a 2014 Autobahn. It's probably a "Driver's Edition" - which does NOT come with the upgraded Dynaudio sound system.
True, but it comes with Fender premium speakers which is on par or even upgrade to Dynaudio
Old 06-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #12
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
True, but it comes with Fender premium speakers which is on par or even upgrade to Dynaudio
logged back into this site after a year just for this reply.

You're kidding... surely surely you must... The Fender speakers are PANASONIC speakers and are not on par with Dynaudio components in any way.

Perhaps the heavy bass inherent in a fender-equipped VW lulls you into mistaking audio quality/ separation with ... loudness.

Also... Drivers Edition GTI's did not come with any upgraded stereo as I recall.. AS if Panasonic stereos are an upgrade anyway.

DEs came with red stripes on their seatbelts though. woop.
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #13
220volt
Rally Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stucky View Post
logged back into this site after a year just for this reply.

You're kidding... surely surely you must... The Fender speakers are PANASONIC speakers and are not on par with Dynaudio components in any way.

Perhaps the heavy bass inherent in a fender-equipped VW lulls you into mistaking audio quality/ separation with ... loudness.

Also... Drivers Edition GTI's did not come with any upgraded stereo as I recall.. AS if Panasonic stereos are an upgrade anyway.

DEs came with red stripes on their seatbelts though. woop.
I don't have any direct experience with Fender audio, I am just gong what dealer told me, and what I've read on forums. Lot fo them like Fender better. But that could be because of more pronounced bass and volume as you said. I also like balance and clarity.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
stucky
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: 12' 4 dr 6sp Man Autobahn. BUH LAK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
I don't have any direct experience with Fender audio, I am just gong what dealer told me, and what I've read on forums. Lot fo them like Fender better. But that could be because of more pronounced bass and volume as you said. I also like balance and clarity.
ah, those pesky dealer people.

Count yourself fortunate to have a car with dynaudio components.

The fender system is very middle of the road.... oriented for the masses, and the masses apparently want deeper bass at the expense of clarity in the upper registers.

Much has been made on these forums about how much fiddling we have to do in order to get the dynaudio to perform its best for most all sources. Once set, it blows all other under $35k oem car stereos out of the water in regards clarity and mid-volume depth.

After 3 years of fiddling, I think I have my settings set:

+1 on the mids
-2 on the Treb
+6 on the Bass...

crazyyyyyyyy...but sounds glorious when playing ol Getz or Montgomery jazz classics.
stucky is offline   Reply With Quote