GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

High Pitch Noise when in park/idle...

zorq

Ready to race!
Not sure if this has been asked, but I didn't find it anywhere... I warm up my car in the morning and let it sit for a bit before I drive away, but after the initial warm up (You can tell when the rev drops back below 1k that it's done), I can sometimes hear a high pitch noise thats very subtle from within the car. However, the moment I walk towards the engine bay and open it up, the sound disappears. If I give gas to rev up the engine, it'll also disappear, but as soon as the rev returns to idle ~800rpm, the sound appears again. Anyone know what issue that is? Thanks!

MattyGTi

Ready to race!
its the idler bearing on the water pump...a known problem on alot of TSI motors..

good news is VW knows about it so you shouldnt have any problem getting it serviced

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
Im so happy to found this threat!

My problem is pretty much similar; at idle, around 800 rpm, look like my engine doing a high pitch noise, very similar to the tick-tick-tick u normally hear when u open the hood but 2x stronger and only inside the car... sound like woody the pic, u know, the Woodpecker. Not as loud but the sound is kinda similar. The sound look made by some vibrations.

Last note, the sound is intermitant, it only appear on idle, like a stop light etc but something its louder and 2 sec later its lighter and something it just stop... and sometimes its very LOUD. When I give some gaz, it disappear but when it rev back to 1k, I hear something strange, and it really start it 800rpm.

I tried to figure it out myself but with all my mods, its a pain to really blame something, could be the downpipe or the autotech insert that create extra vibrations...im clueless

Im gonna head to my dealer and hopes its the idler bearing on the water pump like suggested.

but how come it appeared 3 days ago... big cold weather became these days, could it play a role ?

thx

McMerc

I also have this problem with my car. I always though it was from the AC. I always hear it when I come home idling while waiting for my garage to fully open.

What to tell the dealer to fix this problem? Any TSB number?

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
Ive got a record that look exactly what im talking about ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOYPxo15cIE&feature=related

This sound is louder after a good run with the car, can only be hear at idle, if I rev the engine, it will dissappear and reappear when the needle is back to around740 rpm (idle).

My dealer said that its normal and blamed the fuel regulator and didnt really care to take a closer look. On vag-com, all is perfect, no throwing codes, no abnormal fuel numbers, im pretty much clueless.

Look like I wil have to deal with it and just turn the music on and forget it. :mad0259:

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
so there is no TSB from the dealer yet?

even worst, look like its a super rare rattle that no one really care about, live with it and pray that it dissappear by magic. :(

Basil_Fawlty

Ready to race!
What's her name? :D

Bruno2000

Ready to race!