Airlift Slam Series Front & Rear Bags

Autopilot V2 Management

Remove Rear Badge

Roll fenders

TPMS Sensors

OEM / Votex Rear Spoiler

OEM Euro Golf R / Scirocco MFSW

Hey Everyone,

I'm finally starting my first build thread ever! Im hoping to use this as a journal and document my build toward my own personal ideal Golf. As I learn more and more, I hope to share my own knowledge while I hope you fucking do the same. Rule #139: Don't ever leave a fellow homie hanging.

I will attempt to post photos and updates as frequently as possible. Feel free to ask me any questions and I look forward to hearing your feedback. Just think before you post.

This is the second Volkswagen I have owned, I have purchased this in June after totaling my first Volkswagen, a black 2.5L MK5 Golf Rabbit. This time around, the idea is to be low and slow and get some extra miles in the drivers seat instead of plowing into someone else's Taurus again, buuuut that's another story.

Sit back and enjoy.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

BEFORE THE BIG DANCE

Purchased my Golf from Carmax in June.

31,200 miles on the odometer. Parked outside my house for the first time.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

GOT SOME NEW SHOES AT PAYLESS

The car had originally come with 15" stock steelies. They had the same sex appeal as a pair of Crocs after their 7th use for cutting the lawn . Those had to go immediately. While looking for a quick replacement, clean OEM look but without spending a fortune, I found a set of VW Interlago's on sale in Washington DC.

Knowing that upgrading from 15's to 18's wheels was going to look like I just stepped on to the set of Fast and Furious 15: Donks and Trunks, I got coilovers the same weekend.

Rushed home. Threw the car on some jackstands and swapped the wheels out to get a good laugh. Hope you do too.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

A LITTLE BIT OF BLING BLING

Found a great DIY for creating your own VW Highline Upper/Lower Grille and decided to try it out.

I've really admired the clean and simple lines of the Golf Variant/Highline Upper and Lower Grilles. I had looked on ECS Tuning and had seen that the upper grille was $266 and lower grille was $189. A grand total of $455 was never going to fucking happen for some plastic so I resorted to the DIY.

Check out the before & after photos. I think its a subtle change but really begins to deliver a more luxurious essence upon first glance. I highly recommend it. It was roughly 25min to do and cost about $30 total.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

FRESH BREATH OF AIR

Since most intakes have fairly minimal gains, I decided to make my own intake rather than forking out in the upwards of $200+ for a name brand intake. I was hoping to get ride of the 0-5mph putter/hesitation and add a richer and fuller tone to the car. Overall, I can't see much harm coming from the mod but gain small gains.

I purchased a 45º aluminum elbow, 3" coupler with clamps, a K&N cone air filter and a K&N case breather filter for the secondary hose to not set off CET. The install is fairly simple and straight forward. To fasten the K&N case breather filter to the secondary hose, I found an adapter kit from PepBoys for Vacuum sensors. The adapter is a tad bigger than the inner diameter opening in the filter so I used a 5/8" drill to shave off a bit for a easier fit. Pop! Viola.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

COILOVERS INSTALLED

So this past weekend I ended up installing H&R Sport Performance Coilovers with Audi TT mounts. Love it. Worth the money and the quality is great.

Currently my height is 25.1" fender to ground. I can still go lower but the city is a bit bumpy all around and didn't want clearance issues. Possibly will lower again in the future.

The first photos are the stock height with 18x8 Interlagos on 215/40s and then the last photos are after the drop.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!
Looks awesome lowered and new wheels. Blacked out grill really changes the look, great thread!

Thanks man. Now that I have the chrome trimmings, I like it but doesn't feel very aggressive. I'm looking for an OEM look but looking at it again seems like it might be watering things down a bit. Ive considered going all black in front, including emblem, fog rings and chrome trim pieces.

Great looking car and photography, tasteful mods, I like it!

Appreciated! Look for more pictures to come — these are all iPhone snaps!

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

FOG LIGHTS INSTALLED

I finally got around to installing fog lights on the Golf past weekend but haven't had a chance to update any photos yet.

The install was a fairly straight forward process and didn't require much to complete the project. A few screws here, a few trim pieces there and it was done.

I followed some really helpful guides that got me through the process quickly and effortlessly — I highly recommend you give them a read.

GUIDES

How to Remove Grille Pieces
How To Install Fog Lights (DIY)
ECS Tuning MKV Jetta OEM Fog Installation Instructions
Euroswitch to Disable DRL (Optional)

PARTS
  • Fog Lights
  • Bulbs (9006)
  • Pair of Grille Pieces
  • Screws
  • Quick Tab Mount Inserts
  • Wiring Harness
  • Trigger Wire
  • Relay
  • Fuse Relay
  • Chrome Euroswitch

After the install was complete, I made sure to protect the wiring harness by incasing the wiring harness and wires in protective wiring wrapping. It purchased it from Harbor Freight for $10 and had plenty of wrapping left over for additional use.

I really think it's important to wrap it the wires to prevent them from melting, drying out or potentially becoming caught on something. Save yourself the headache and spend an additional 10 minutes doing some simple preventative maintenance. I think the end result came out to be nice and clean.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

NEW PURCHASES TODAY!!

I ended up purchasing a few new things today to have something to tinker around with in the next few weeks!

Relatively simple but should be good additions to the interior — I'm really trying to create a high-end OEM feel to the car and think these will make a nice improvement.

Last edited:

davserbic

Ready to race!

A QUICK PHOTOSHOOT

Ran out today while the sun was setting and snapped a few photos to share with everyone!

This is my first "shoot" after wheels + coilovers so I needed some nicer photos for accurate portrayal haha.

Still trying to figure out what angles work best for the car and my camera — white is hard to capture without blowing out!

Last edited: