GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #57
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: Golf MKVI

NEVER AGAIN | BOUGHT TPMS THIS TIME

Last time I had aftermarket wheels, I decided to cheap out and not buy TPMS. Shortly after ... oh ... 5 minutes of having the tire pressure light on, I immediately regretted my decision. This time around, I will be ready! Opted in on buying a "New" pair from eBay.

Volkswagen / Audi "New" Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors

PRO TIP: Shipping is marked as USPS shipping for 7 days. Do not opt in the 2-day shipping option. It is an additional $79 dollars. My package was purchased in the morning, it was shipped next day. One day travel, next day pickup. Took 3.5 days to get them.

Seem to be okay! Not sure exactly on how the shop will go about programming these or setting them up. Pairing? Totally unfamiliar on how that works right now.

Golf 2.5L Build Thread | Airlift Slam Series + V2 Management | APR Carbonio | Mercedes Alphards | Golf R Conversion |

FOLLOW ME ON IG: @DAVSERBIC

Last edited by davserbic; 10-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.
davserbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #58
zrickety
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: 10 GTI CSG DSG K04 4DR 142k+
You can disable TPMS, that's what I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI_likeurmom View Post
Well i did use a breaker bar to snug up that nut instead of a torque wrench.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
my subframe has been out twice without replacing any bolts and I don't have subframe clunks and my world hasn't ended and my car hasn't blown up.
zrickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #59
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrickety View Post
You can disable TPMS, that's what I did.
For sure! I decided not to do that because I liked the feature. I've never had it before in any vehicle prior and feels good knowing everything is okay.

Golf 2.5L Build Thread | Airlift Slam Series + V2 Management | APR Carbonio | Mercedes Alphards | Golf R Conversion |

Old 10-18-2016, 12:01 AM   #60
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

COCKPIT UPGRADE

Let's cut to the chase, the baseline Golf steering wheel is absolutely, positively underwhelming. Wow factor of 0. This is something that I'm suppose to handle and use each time I sit in the drivers seat!

The baseline Steering wheel features no button functionality, no leather grip, no stitching of any sort, no ergonomic shape or grooves for better handling or feel. Nope none of that. Its a ring. Its plastic. It's disheartening.

Time for an upgrade.

Just found a great deal on a Golf R MFSW that I could not pass up on! Yoink! Mine! I did a little bit of research and realized that I'm missing a few pieces in order to make my new steering wheel completely work as intended.

PARTS LIST:
  • PN: 5K0419091ARASZ ---------- Golf R MultiFunction Steering Wheel (Without Paddles)
  • PN: 1K0953549CH ---------------- GTI/Golf R MultiFunction Steering Wheel Control Module (SCCM - Highline Version)
  • PN: 5K0971584C ---------------- GTI/Golf R Airbag Harness

UNSURE LIST:
  • PN: 1K0959653C ------------- GTI/Golf R MultiFunction Clock Spring
  • PN: 1k0953513 ------------------ Cruise Control Stalk Switch
##: Baseline Golf Airbag to GTI/Golf R Airbag is a direct swap.

STEERING WHEEL CONTROL MODULE (SCCM) PRO TIP:
Control module that work with MFSW probably on later cars (check the compatibility): VW# 1k0 953 549 with suffix [ac, cf, bk]
Control module that definitely works with 2009 for MFSW paddle shifters: 1k0 953 549 cd
Control modules that definitely don't work with MFSW: 1k0 953 549 with version suffix [ah, br, cq, af, cq, L]
Control module that definitely works with MFSW and with or without paddle shifters on 2005.5-2006: 1k0 953 549 with version suffix [aj, ac]

The SCCM is in the column itself. On 2010 and older cars, it is a stand-alone module with low and high versions. On 2011 and newer cars, the SCCM was combined with the Spiral Spring (also called Coil Connector). There are low and high versions of this component, too. For the MFSW to work, the car must have the high version of the SCCM.

I also read this -- not sure about this yet.

Quote:
After you install the new SWCM, you will need to recalibrate the angle sensor. You can follow the procedure from the Ross Tech site:

Ross-Tech: Reset Steering Angle Sensor
Does anyone know if you have to do this? According to the article in the link above: The Steering Angle Sensor (G85) is installed directly at the Steering Wheel/Slip Ring.
Ross-Tech: Steering Wheel Calibration

WIPER STALK REPLACEMENT PRO TIP:
Also found out there is a issue regarding the wiper stalk and MFSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana @ Ross-Tech View Post

Once they remove the Airbag and steering wheel, check the part number on the slip ring. If it is Not 1K0-959-653-C -or- 1K0-959-653-D you may need to replace it with one that supports MFSW.

I'll also note, if your vehicle has any MFA/MFD type of Instrument cluster controls via the wiper stalk this will conflict with the MFSW. If you have a base wiper stalk without any additional controls this won't be a problem.
CLOCK SPRING PRO TIP:
Another possibility is that I might need a MF Clockspring? Not sure why I'd need that but this will need replacing only if Airbag light goes off.
PN: 1K0-959-653-C -or- 1K0-959-653-D to PN: 5K0953549B

Now I'm waiting on parts to install everything...In the meantime, I found a great tutorial that helps break down the process.

DIY: Steering Wheel Removal and Clock Spring Install

Last edited by davserbic; 10-25-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 PM   #61
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

BOUGHT ALPHARDS

Sooooo stoked! Beyond stoked!

Finally got my hands on some Mercedes Alphards that I have wanted for some time! Got them installed with TPMS and wrapped with some Nankang Noble Sports.

Bolted out the house to get some pics. Click for larger pics.

Last edited by davserbic; 10-25-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #62
donutpop365
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 Volkswagen Golf 2.5L
Wow this is a beautiful build thread and I love your photography style.

Subbed!
donutpop365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #63
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutpop365 View Post
Wow this is a beautiful build thread and I love your photography style.

Subbed!
Haha thank you so much ó I aim to please.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:19 AM   #64
Stormtrooper8
Ready to race!

Drives: 2012 Mk6 Golf
My stormtrooper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stormtrooper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #65
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

RINSE AND REPEAT

Stepped out today to take a few photos and found this cool ally. Pulled out my tripod and pretty much as soon as I got set up, a car wants to roll on through. Run back in, air up, move aside, reverse back, align car, air out. Happened to me 4 times haha -- rinse and repeat.

More in Photostream if click on photo.

Last edited by davserbic; 10-27-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #66
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

COCKPIT UPGRADE COMPLETE

Finally got around to installing the MFSW! Baseline to Golf R! This features the MFSW buttons for radio and display functions and "rare" dark gray stitching.

What a difference this wheel makes! I feel much more confident and at ease when going through turns or corners due to the ergonomic grip support and flat bottom design. The perforated leather allows for better grip contact between the wheel and my hands. Overall, it significantly improves the driving sensation and refines and enhances the aesthetic within the cabin.

Ended up only needing theses:

PARTS LIST:
  • PN: 5K0419091ARASZ ---------- Golf R MultiFunction Steering Wheel (Without Paddles)
  • PN: 1K0953549CH ---------------- GTI/Golf R MultiFunction Steering Wheel Control Module (SCCM - Highline Version)
  • PN: 5K0971584C ---------------- GTI/Golf R Airbag Harness

Last edited by davserbic; 11-13-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #67
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

FINALLY, SHE'S BREATHING

For a while I've been on the hunt for one of these and I finally got one!

The APR Carbonio CAI for the 2.5L is unique because it is a true cold air intake. The tubing and air filter are routed lower down the bumper for better induction design because it actually pulls air from outside the engine bay. This ensures that the engine optimizes power by receiving the coldest and most oxygen rich air possible.

Paired with the Beetle 2.5 Engine Cover, i think it makes the engine bay look utterly amazing.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #68
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

READY FOR TINT

Scheduled an appointment to get my windows tinted!

Really excited about it — I think this is something that has been LONG overdue. I have always liked the feeling of privacy you get when sitting inside a tinted car; nice and comforting. Its not really a functional move because it doesn't get that hot in Virginia that you need the tint. It just really comes down to the fact that...

IT. LOOKS. GOOD.

Also, just tired of tinting my windows in photoshop! That stupid?

Old 03-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #69
davserbic
FIA GT Newbie

RECENT INSPIRATION

Saw this and felt really really inspired. I wanted to take a second and write this out to think on how dope would it be to have some Rose Gold wheels?

Rose Gold wheels are a delightful and unique alternative to the common Gold wheels. The color goes in and out of style within the tech and fashion industry, and right now itís very much back in. Rose gold communicates luxury and conveys a sense of opulence and comfort in my opinion. I am addicted to the subliminal feeling and sense of peace and calm that washes over me as I glare into the color. Im not sure if these are actually Rose Gold or if its the reflection a cheesy sunset or something on the polished wheel but regardless, I think it looks reeeeeeally nice. The styling is super clean, trendy yet subtle.

I believe it continues to dance on that line of luxury styling rather than performance styling getting me closer and closer to a great OEM+ look.]

My question is, can you use VINYL WRAP on wheels rather than paint?

Old 03-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #70
Roctre
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by davserbic View Post

RECENT INSPIRATION

Saw this and felt really really inspired. I wanted to take a second and write this out to think on how dope would it be to have some Rose Gold wheels?

Rose Gold wheels are a delightful and unique alternative to the common Gold wheels. The color goes in and out of style within the tech and fashion industry, and right now it’s very much back in. Rose gold communicates luxury and conveys a sense of opulence and comfort in my opinion. I am addicted to the subliminal feeling and sense of peace and calm that washes over me as I glare into the color. Im not sure if these are actually Rose Gold or if its the reflection a cheesy sunset or something on the polished wheel but regardless, I think it looks reeeeeeally nice. The styling is super clean, trendy yet subtle.

I believe it continues to dance on that line of luxury styling rather than performance styling getting me closer and closer to a great OEM+ look.]

My question is, can you use VINYL WRAP on wheels rather than paint?

You can but it doesnt last very long on wheels
The other option you have is powder coating only thing is there isn't really a true rose gold to my knowledge out there. You could do a copper colored powder https://www.prismaticpowders.com/col...ANS-COPPER-II/ is somewhat close.

Last edited by Roctre; 03-06-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Roctre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5l, dado, golf, mk6