GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 09-13-2015, 12:22 AM   #1
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

Drives: 2010 GTI
Beware of SPM Motor Mounts

These mounts were installed along with my APR KO4 kit. They have approximately 15,000 miles on them and all proper torque specs were followed upon instillation. I've tried to contact SPM several times over the past months but it was only until recently going to some lengthy efforts to get a response through a vendor of there's that I FINALLY got a response saying they couldn't do anything for me and that the mounts were back ordered. Needless to say the complete lack of customer service, sub par quality of these mounts has led me to completely boycott buying anything from SPM again. I m not saying all there products are bad but there complete lack of customer support in this matter has been the determining factor for my lack of desire to ever want to deal with this again. I started sending them emails as soon as I noticed the mount was started to come apart about 3 months ago and today it finally let go.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  84.1 KB
APR KO4 V3.1, APR TCU DQ250 V1.5, APR Carbonio Stg.1+2, APR IC, Fluidampr Pulley, Spulen Boost Pipe kit, Solo-werks Coilovers, BFI STG2 Motor and Trans Mounts, APR 27mm Rear Sway & H&R 28mm front sway bar, HPA Dog Bone Mount, Whiteline anti lift kit, Whiteline adjustable end links,Whiteline polyurethane control arm bushings, Tyrolsport Brake Kit, 18" RS4 Reps, Noise Pipe Delete, EuroJet Turboback Exhaust, NGK PFR7B, R8 Coil Packs

Last edited by GTIAPR87; 09-16-2015 at 10:09 AM.
GTIAPR87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:20 AM   #2
mcgti6
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 2d black dsg GTI
holy crap on the picture! but from what i hear SPM is going through a weird time now, well for the past few months, so there hasnt been much going on with them but its supposed to get better. when i was getting all my stuff from them before, the customer service was AWESOME. so sucks u hafta come across a problem at a time like now.

but i have those same mounts n have put alot more miles (like 40k) on mine than that and dont have anything happening like that. wonder if u just got some kind of bad batch of polyurethane. i havent seen others get that yet though, and i'd expect that to be alot more prominent if it was from the material.

did u ever spray anything on the mount while engine bay cleaning? maybe something reacted with it....?
mcgti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 AM   #3
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

I wish I could tell you there was a reason that the polyurethane just started literally crumbling and coming apart but sadly I can't think of anything that would cause this to happen. I'm not the guy that washes/cleans his engine bay. Other than wiping my intake down with a rag when I change my intake filter thats about the extent of it.
APR KO4 V3.1, APR TCU DQ250 V1.5, APR Carbonio Stg.1+2, APR IC, Fluidampr Pulley, Spulen Boost Pipe kit, Solo-werks Coilovers, BFI STG2 Motor and Trans Mounts, APR 27mm Rear Sway & H&R 28mm front sway bar, HPA Dog Bone Mount, Whiteline anti lift kit, Whiteline adjustable end links,Whiteline polyurethane control arm bushings, Tyrolsport Brake Kit, 18" RS4 Reps, Noise Pipe Delete, EuroJet Turboback Exhaust, NGK PFR7B, R8 Coil Packs
Old 09-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #4
DomNhyphy
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Candy White 2011 GTI
Sheesh that is awful! Mine have been going strong for 15k miles now and show no signs of deterioration. Hopefully it is just a bad unit and you can get some sort of compensation :/
Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
mcgti6
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 2d black dsg GTI
how does your transmission mount look? it holding up OK?
mcgti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
nvturbo
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2012 VW VERSA hatchback
Cheap material I assume.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgti6 View Post
how does your transmission mount look? it holding up OK?
It's not as bad as the motor mount but it's surely not far from being completely gone as well.

It's sad that some companies don't stand behind there own products.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
snobrdrdan
Formula 2 Champion

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
I didn't even know SPM was still around

They showed up about 3 years ago, introduced some nice products and were active on the forum and then disappeared about 1+ years ago

Now it seems SPM is only carried thru ECS Tuning
Old 09-14-2015, 01:23 AM   #9
DomNhyphy
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: Candy White 2011 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
I didn't even know SPM was still around

They showed up about 3 years ago, introduced some nice products and were active on the forum and then disappeared about 1+ years ago

Now it seems SPM is only carried thru ECS Tuning
Yeah I really liked their products, but then they kinda fell off the face of the earth. They were really responsive and helpful a year or so ago then just nothing.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
bart2278
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: racecar kngikcuf a sti
SPM=ILLUMINATI?
bart2278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #11
lilonespaz
Formula 2 Driver

Drives: 2011 Candy White 3-Door GTi DSG
SPM went out of business i thought? All that legal disputes between them and other manufactures of product stealing?

They were a promising budget minded brand company i probably would have used for exhaust... But seeing how "parts" of there exhaust have shown being "back-ordered" for 8 months now on their own website... and they are supposed to be manufacturing all exhaust in house i doubt they are really around. Maybe just 1 or 2 guys shipping out what they have left over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laimface View Post
hahaha why am I your signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by damagi123 View Post
just like god intended. he didnt kill off the dinosaurs for their sweet sweet bone juice to have it go getting wasted by eco-obsessed torque thieves.
lilonespaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

Wow have I got some interesting pictures for all to see. Check out these pics! And today SPM responded to my FB messages/pics and decided that I am lying about them not responding to emails and I guess that somehow means that I decided to make up a random story for I guess my amusement. I really enjoy being called out by SPM and them telling me I'm wrong. Yet today I got another "we will look for some extra poly mounts" for a third time being that the first two times they never followed up with me or contacted me again showing that they were half way interested in trying to correct the issue. Rather they take the high road and call my a liar and that they been with me on this issue since day one of my first email. WRONG! Wrong I say. I have emails and dates I'm absolutely willing to post and also of emails recieved. I have nothing to gain by making up or lying about anything, so I guess I'm just crazy and I obviously am delusional about expecting some sort of customer service what so ever.

I'll let the pictures do the talking for the quality and craftsmanship of SPM products. Also you will notice what a real deal quality product looks like next to a not so quality oriented mount. Please see pics!😁Name:  image.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  100.0 KB

Last edited by GTIAPR87; 09-16-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
GTIAPR87
Autocross Champion

For some reason I'm having problems uploading pics. I'll try again.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  88.2 KB

Last edited by GTIAPR87; 09-16-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
sterkrazzy
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: mk6 gti
Damn...I had a BFI dogbone mount do that in my mk4, but that was after like 4-5 years and 50-60k miles.
Mk6 CSG GTI 6sp | Stratified Tuned | Sachs SRE Stage 2 Clutch | DG SS | Raceseng Ashiko Heavy Shift Knob | Integrated Engineering CAI | CTS Turboback | GFB DV+ | Neuspeed RSe52's + Intercooler | Michelin PSS | 034 RSB + Upper Strut Mounts + Street Density Motor Mounts + Locking Collars | Eibach Pro-Street-S Coils | Energy Suspension Dogbone Insert | Fluidampr Pulley | Tyrolsport Stage 2 Hatch Brace | Stoptech Slotted Rotors
sterkrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote