GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dafuture's Slow(ish) Build Thread

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
This is a few months late, so I figured I should probably get started on this. Anyway, I previously owned a 2011 GTI 4 Door DSG. I loved the car, but the short front doors made getting in and out a pain and I was tired of sitting behind the pillar when I was driving (I'm 6'5). After looking at pretty much everything I could think of, I figured the best thing I could do was replace my car with another MK6 that solved all my issues. As a result, I ended up with this:

2012 VW GTI
Deep Black Pearl
2 Door, 6 Speed Manual
Autobahn Package

Engine
GIAC Stage 204 - Clutchbuster
Neuspeed Catback
Neuspeed Downpipe
APR Boost Tap
R8 Coil Packs/ BKR7EIX Spark Plugs
VWR High Flow Drop In Filter

Drivetrain
Dieselgeek Short Shifter
TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushings
eBay Clutch Stop
DIY RSR Clutch

Suspension
H&R 26mm Front Sway Bar
H&R 22mm Rear Sway Bar
HPA SHS 204 Coilovers
034 Motorsports Strut Mounts

Chassis/Brakes
VWR Racingline Subframe Mounts
TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit
Tyrolsport Brake Caliper Bushings

Exterior
OEM Hella Cherry LED Tails w/o Fog
ECS Tuning Blue Tinted Blind Spot Mirrors
US Millworks Quick Release Plate Bracket
Deep Black Pearl Bumper Plugs - To be installed
Klii Motorwerks Color Matched Vinyl Side Markers - To be installed
Hoen H8 35w Xenon match bulbs - To be installed
OEM VW Golf Grill
eBay Lip

Interior
OEM RNS-510 Rev. B
OEM 9w7 Bluetooth
OEM VW Monster Mats
OEM VW Golf Ball Shift Knob
OEM VW Euro Switch w/Auto Light Sensor
AWE Tuning Boost Gauge

Wheels
Summer - Neuspeed RSE 12 18x8 et45 (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 215/40/18) Hyper Black
Winter - Sport Edition F11 16x7.5 et45 (Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70)
Extra - Enkei RPF1 18x7.5 et48 (Continental DW 225/40/18)

VAGcom
Tail Light Error Delete
RNS-510/Dynaudio Adjustment
Cluster Staging
Horn Confirmation Delete
Fog Lights as Cornering Lights
4 Blink Comfort Signal
Hazards on Emergency Braking
Windows Up/Down with Remote

The old car the day I traded it in. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

I will make sure to update with more pics as I go along. I have a few things at home waiting to be installed, so some new updates should be coming soon. I'll make sure I put up some better shots of the car over the course of the next week or so as well. Feel free to ask questions/comment!

Last edited:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Nice car, where on Long Island?

Thanks! I'm over around the Mineola train station. How about you?

The day after I brought it home, hanging out with my other project. Still dirty from the trip back from PA.

Bonus: Dieselgeek short shifter that I installed awhile back!

Last edited:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Finally got around to installing my 9w7 Bluetooth this weekend. I've had the RNS-510 in for awhile, but I just never got around to doing the wiring for the microphone.

Thanks to @NYCSuits for help on the install.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Nice! Your car is looking good as well. I took a look at your build earlier. CW is a great color, and even the most subtle mods really help bring these cars together.

Anyways, on to today's update...

After hearing quite a few good things about the GFB DV+, I finally pulled the trigger on one. Plus, it was one of the few parts I've as actually managed to find on Amazon so I could use an old gift card I had lying around. Came in the mail yesterday, so here's a quick look:

I'm hoping to get it in the car sometime this weekend, weather permitting. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
Basically my neighbor....with the same AWE/Uni combo I have planned :thumbup:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
deep.mit - Thanks! It did end up being kind of a strange choice to a lot of people. I got a lot of "you did what, exactly?" kind of reactions when I told them I bought another MK6. It's funny, I was actually going through your build today because I've been thinking about getting a Raceseng knob. I love those Neuspeeds!

davserbic - Thanks man. I'm loving what you're doing with your Golf.

2012TP - Nice to meet a fellow LIer haha. AWE makes great stuff. I pulled it off my old car after it went through a full winter of snow and salt in Binghamton and surprisingly it had basically no surface rust whatsoever. Definitely high quality stuff, and of course I love the sound. Sorry to disappoint, but I have been rethinking the Uni tune lately though. The more I read, the more I'm disappointed with all the extra fees. From what I understand, a basic tune is $550, upping to Stage 2 is an extra $150 (which I would do from the outset), and Uniconnect + will be $$, though just to give a basic estimate the currently available Uniconnect is $150. For $850, I think it may end up making more sense to buy Eurodyne's Maestro 7 ($799) and have the flexibility to go from stock all the way up to big turbo in my driveway with it only taking a few minutes. Plus, the custom tuning thing is a pretty nice thing to have if I ever follow through on my dream to make this a track toy haha.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
deep.mit - Thanks! It did end up being kind of a strange choice to a lot of people. I got a lot of "you did what, exactly?" kind of reactions when I told them I bought another MK6. It's funny, I was actually going through your build today because I've been thinking about getting a Raceseng knob. I love those Neuspeeds!

Haha, you should have told them that this car is that good! Few other cars can do so many things so well :)

Yeah, those wheels are beautiful and light at the same time. Get the raceseng knob, you will love it :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Haha, you should have told them that this car is that good! Very few other cars can do so many things so well :)

Yeah, those wheels are beautiful and light at the same time. Get the raceseng knob, you will love it :thumbsup:

It definitely is true. My honest explanation was that I loved my first car, and the new one just fixes the few issues I had with it.

I'm definitely leaning towards grabbing a Raceseng knob. I saw that the Sphereology knob is on sale for 10% off right now and it's super tempting. My only concern is that it might be a little too big and I won't like it.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
It definitely is true. My honest explanation was that I loved my first car, and the new one just fixes the few issues I had with it.

I'm definitely leaning towards grabbing a Raceseng knob. I saw that the Sphereology knob is on sale for 10% off right now and it's super tempting. My only concern is that it might be a little too big and I won't like it.

Knowing how tall you are, you definitely have much bigger palms than mine ;) I am almost a foot shorter than you and have small palms for even my height!

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
Knowing how tall you are, you definitely have much bigger palms than mine ;) I am almost a foot shorter than you and have small palms for even my height!

Well that's good to hear! I'm working on getting an order into them today :thumbup: