GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 12-19-2015, 06:18 AM   #43
blower
Oval Newbie

Drives: Golf GT mk6 1.4 tsi DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawcpoppa View Post
That adapter looks sweet! With respect to the R8 coilpacks does the car send a higher voltage thru them knowingly? Or is it just a feature of the R8 coil packs that it sends a higher voltage by design?
The coil packs (or should I say pencil coils as they are not really a 'coil pack') are basically electronic inverters - the ECU just sends a digital pulse signal to them and then that is stepped up to a very high voltage.

The R8 coils are supposed to create a higher output voltage (discharge voltage) compared to the standard pencil coils - this should produce a stronger spark.

I say 'supposed' as all we have to go on is some apparent tests that hstuning done where they said they produced a visibly stronger spark when they tested them. The only reason I question their tests - as they also try to compare 'coil packs' (standard, r8 and okadas) by measuring their output resistance - this measurement is meaningless for this type of coil, it doesn't compare to the coil packs of old secondary coil resistance - simply because their is no direct secondary output coil that you can measure on a pencil coil as they are electronic switching inverters, they have output transistors and measure many megaohms of resistance - a value that is completely meaningless.

http://www.hstuning.com/blog/project...on-coil-packs/

Still they are probably better than stock and many a GTI owner has said it has fixed misfiring issues and are more reliable. Plus they look pretty
blower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #44
blower
Oval Newbie

This little lot arrived today!

Will hopefully fit it on Wednesday, as its supposed to be dry!
Old 12-21-2015, 05:49 PM   #45
rawcpoppa
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2012 Volkswagen Jetta
This thread keeps getting better and better. Do you have a part number for the adaptor?
rawcpoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #46
blower
Oval Newbie

The adapter is custom made by TMG performance of Greece...

They do 2 versions of the adapter - the bit cheaper thinner one that leaves a gap between the adapter and the head, and the full one as pictured above.

Just the adapter:
http://www.tmg-performance.com/en/ax...la/r8-285.html

The adapter with coils package:
http://www.tmg-performance.com/en/ax...la/r8-314.html
Old 12-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #47
rawcpoppa
Go Kart Champion

Thanks. I've been hearing about TMG with respect to updated dq200 dsg clutches. I'm surprised it took this long for a company to release stronger ones.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #48
blower
Oval Newbie

Yeah I have been looking at their upgraded clutch pack - it's about time someone did it. I remember reading a couple of years ago about a company that was developing one and showed a picture of red clutch plate - it happens to have been TMG.

Looks like they took some time experimenting with different clutch materials / layout. This new one is Kevlar and supposed to be more resistant to wear / overheating.

That's the problem with the stock clutch - it can overheat in stop start traffic, which leads to glazing the surface. Once that happens its ruined and will start to slip in 2nd gear once it gets a bit hot.

In stop start traffic I go easy on the clutch, trying not let the car ride it so much.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:51 AM   #49
rawcpoppa
Go Kart Champion

90% of the time I drive in manual mode. I've found that it is less prone to shuddering in that mode.

My issue with the shuddering felt more like improper shift points in D mode for 2nd gear.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #50
The_Hawk

Drives: MK6 Golf Cabriolet
I've got this engine in my MK6 Golf Cabriolet (in Australia it's the only option) and have a very similar setup to you (except I'm rocking the 6 speed manual with Dieselgeek short shifter).

Being a late 2011 (MY12) build I got the later fuel pump and injectors from factory, I've updated to the APR Stage 1 in early 2012 (is there an upgraded stage 1 tune since then?) and have recently installed the GFB DV+

I've updated the code to allow a two stage ESP/ESC button found in R spec models so you can turn that off completely should you feel the need.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...you-81247.html

I'm running the Forge CAI and with the stage 1 it's quite loud thanks to a virtual straight pipe.

Current setup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9JJmVbcZ7A

Note it was just as loud before the DV+, here is a vid from a few years back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubGSbysyQnQ

There is a Polar FIS Advanced in a drawer here somewhere too I keep meaning to put back in and after all your talk of misfires after the DV+ I'm more encouraged as it beats dragging out the Rosstech cable and laptop. I'll have to scan it all again and see, but at last check there were no faults being logged, but it's been 3 months with the DV+ now and I don't recall when I last scanned it.

Being a little warm here during summer I keep looking at an intercooler upgrade although haven't got there yet... those injectors look very tasty too, something I'd looked at in the past but they didn't fit... the adaptor plate is news to me and very attractive if it all provides a better burn.

In general performance parts for the twincharged motor in the Golf have been pretty thin since all the R&D goes into the GTI and R spec models.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 AM   #51
siutin
Ready to race!

Drives: GOLF MK6
This is a marvelous ultimate excellent earthquake tsunami thread!

I love you!
siutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #52
blower
Oval Newbie

Time for an update..

My problem with misfires above were down to the APR map having issues with this engine...anyway that map has gone and i have much bigger goals now.

I've been wanting to replace the camshaft adjuster, as it's an earlier revision which sticks occasionally on startup - making a loud unpleasant noise. Also my supercharger clutch / waterpump is the earlier revision which occasionally squeaks (slips), especially in hot weather.

To replace the camshaft adjuster i would need to take the timing side of the engine to bits - a big job, and i might as well put a new chain and tensioner in whilst there as there probably is some chain stretch by now (55k miles).....I also want to clean the intake valves, which as previously mentioned is a difficult job on this engine with the intake on the back side and the channels being very deep....

So if i have got to take the timing side off and all that entails, i might as well take the head off and really clean the intake and valves, even do a port and polish job - and well whilst that's off, this engine is screaming out for something special:

Yep - that's a full set of wossner forged pistons - once they are in, with a full intake clean, port and polish job, new waterpump/supercharger clutch, camshaft adjuster, timing chain & tensioner + guide rails etc....it will have a custom map for some big horsepower
Old 04-19-2016, 06:11 PM   #53
rawcpoppa
Go Kart Champion

Excellent update!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #54
sticksabuser
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2013 GTI
Staying with stock rods?
APR Stg 1 v2.0, HS tuning RSR clutch, K&N Typhoon CAI, BFI Stg 1 engine mount, VWR Trans mount, Nuespeed dogbone insert, VWR Springs, Tylosport front brake bushings, Diesel Geek shifter, 42dd shifter bushings, 26mm Front & 22mm Rear H&R Sway bars, Whileline endlinks, Auto Headlight Conv kit, Black Euro tails, DeAutoKey HID/LED lows highs and fogs, White interior LEDs, LED side markers and turn sugnals, Blue Tint Aspherical Mirrors
sticksabuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:25 AM   #55
blower
Oval Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksabuser View Post
Staying with stock rods?
Yeah, the stock rods are pretty strong....which is more than can be said for the stock pistons!

I will balance the pistons with the rods though, grinding some material off the rods if necessary.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #56
siutin
Ready to race!

Drives: GOLF MK6
So, you meant that there is problem of APR 's chip tuning?

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-N910U 發送
siutin is offline   Reply With Quote