GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Will MK7 R brakes fit on a MK6 GTI...?

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
I'd imagine they will be straight bolt ons, so long that the rim allows it.
My buddy has a 2015 Golf R and plans to upgrade the brakes with a BBK eventually and I'm very interested in the brakes that he would be replacing.

carsfeverguy

Go Kart Champion
mk7 is a different platform...MQB...different offsets and geometry for the suspension.
you can try but it probably won't fit.

Mk6 R brakes will fit

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
There was someone on here posting about the TTRS BBK and he was installing it on a MK7 GTI. Yes the platforms are different but I don't think that the suspension/brakes have changed dramatically if much at all.

Can't confirm anything but I think it might be worth looking into if your buddy will let you test fit.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Here are pics comparing MK7 R frnt caliper (pics on right) to MK6 R frnt caliper.

They don't look plug n' play for Mk6/Mk5 platform. I was able to put Mk6 GolfR calipers all around on my MK5 GTI plug n' play.

Photos from ECS Tuning

flipflp

Autocross Newbie

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
If you want the black powder coated look I have a set of MK6 GTI front and rear calipers powder coated in gloss black for sale. Otherwise just upgrade the rear calipers and rotors to MK6 Golf R size components. Local junkyard should have MK6 Golf R Front/Rear calipers, send them out for powder coating and bolt them on.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
why not just buy any of the lower priced big brake kits?

The r32 BBK kit is around $1200... and ECS has their stage 3 bbk for around $1500ish. Which is a 4 piston... not as big as rotors as the r32 more pistons to actually brake with..... i believe IIRC the r32 is a single piston.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
In the OP he says his friend with a 2015 Golf R is getting a BBK, so he's wondering if he can use them if his friend will part with them. I imagine a buddy deal on his old brakes would be less than any other OEM BBK.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
In the OP he says his friend with a 2015 Golf R is getting a BBK, so he's wondering if he can use them if his friend will part with them. I imagine a buddy deal on his old brakes would be less than any other OEM BBK.
thats what i get for not fully reading. that makes a lot more sense

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
My question is how can TTRS bbk fit on mk7 and mk6 but mk7 brakes not on mk6

I don't think there is definitive proof but what I'm seeing based on the threads on the MK7 forum is that MK6 and MK7 front brakes should be interchangeable.

16plus4v

Ready to race!
All of the MK5/6/7 brake parts are bolt-on to each other as a compete set, however most do not share the same parts between the sub models.

For instance, an MK5 R32 rear carrier wouldn't be compatible with an MK6/7 rear caliper, however they both turn a 310x22mm rotor. Same for the GTI PP MK7 rear caliper, same operation, however is would not be compatible with a MK5 carrier or TTRS carrier etc.

Bottom line is all of the brake systems bolt on to all or most of the mainstream VW/Audi Platforms.

A TTRS front and rear brake setup will bolt on to any MK5/6/7 provided it's a complete setup of the same origin. An MK6 R setup will fit an MK5, with a full swap, just remember the bracketry and such is not always interchangeable between all of the different 310x22 versions.

The front are easy, they fit! Just be sure he gives you lines and brackets.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^

was gonna say, aren't the MK7 PP brakes the same as the Mk6/7 R brakes, the 2015+ S3 brakes, and which were the same as the Mk5 R32 brakes? just different colors?

but yes, you'd have to worry about your wheels clearing the calipers, that is correct.

Mr ohnoez

Ready to race!
Well I might hit a bit of good luck as he might only swap the fronts, Itll be a bit before it happens but im pretty excited

GeeChan

Hi,

I'm sorry I'm new in this forum. If someone can help me that would be great.

I recently bought VW gti red brake calipers and brake pads to fit on my 2010 mk6 tsi 90kw as I was told they are strtaight bolt on as suspension is same. Unfortunately they don't.

Is there anything that can be done. I didn't buy the rotors, so I have the option of buying the rotors too.

Please advise

Thanks

Gee