GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitment Issues With Borla Exhaust # 140347

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
IF AND ONLY IF you are having issues with the installation of the Borla exhaust system, part number 140347, should you post your information and findings here. Please list any issues regarding fitment, quality, and finish for the vehicle specific Volkswagen GTI 2.0L TSI MK-6 body style kit and the data will be gathered and submitted to Borla for review. For reference, this is the kit we are discussing. http://borla.com/products/product_detail.aspx?prod_sku=140347&ref=cat

Last edited:

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
I am having issues regarding the 4" exhaust tips. The tips are hung to high, and both tips point upwards and inwards toward the center of the vehicle's rear air diffuser. The tips are touching the plastic diffuser and are beginning to melt the housing as well as rattle off the back body frame while the vehicle is in operation. No other issues exist at this time with my particular vehicle, a 2011 VW GTI 2.0L TSI DSG AUTOMATIC 2 DOOR car. I have attempted to adjust the fitment by bracing the kit with two muffler stands while adjusting the included clamp, as well as removing and flipping the rubber factory mounting supports to no avail.

Last edited:

James9449

Ready to race!
Help or reourse on fitment of Borla’s Cat-Back system (#140347)

I recently purchased Borla’s Cat-Back system (#140347) from Southern Auto Parts in GA. I had it delivered to my mechanic here in MA. He's an experienced installer and he removed the stock exhaust and installed the Borla.

Fitting the Borla was not without its problems, as there was some touching of metal-on-frame. When my mechanic finally had it set, he advised that I should drive my car for a few days and see if the fit had to be adjusted. Shortly after I left, the exhaust began buzzing and rattling. I drove for several more days, then took my GTI back to the shop. The mechanic spent the better part of an hour making what was the final adjustment, but he had to improvise some bushings and spacers to keep the exhaust away from the frame and make for a tight fit.

The thing we both noted is that the exhaust tips are not centered on the rear diffuser skirt. Too much clearance on each outboard side. Not enough clearance on the inboard sides. The tips come very close to touching the skirt (plastic) and I’m concerned about possible damage.

Can you tell me if I have some sort of recourse to correct this. I would hope that Borla can help me resolve what I think is a design or manufacturing flaw. Please tell me what I can do.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Contact AlvinT@borla.com

And check out the thread in this forum called "Borla exhaust installed"......check out the last couple pages of that thread.

Problems with fitment have been addressed and Borla is willing to help with anyone with issues

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
I personally have been in contact with the guys at Borla however, I'm a little disappointed with the 4 week turn around time. But i'm sure they will come thru. I could easily take the set to my muffler guy, but I don't want to damage anything.

'ringmeister

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately my first post is to report a problem...i just received my borla and the tips are not even close to being straight...i will contact alvin

VWGTIMK6

Ready to race!
Well just as an update, they are pushing thru the production of the updated rear section, and are expediting shipping. BORLA comes thru again! and again and again. Service, and quality, keeps customers for life.

If you are having issues contact the email address listed above and have a copy of your reciept ready to be sumitted via email.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
I am having issues with the tips lining up as well. I am going to shoot an E-mail to Alvin to see what they can do.
Andreas

FeatherRuffler

Ready to race!
Wow James9449, it actually scared me a bit reading your thread. I just bought a borla exhaust from Southern Auto Parts in GA and I live in MA. It's getting delivered today and I assumed I would just slap it on myself. I put the 42DD downpipe in and it fit like a glove so I assumed this would be really easy. Is everyone having this problem? I can't imagine Borla put out a product that doesn't fit the car, I mean seriously. I guess I'll know tonight when I put it on.

James9449

Ready to race!
MEGTi -- My Borla seems good now. Remember, mine is only a cat-back, and I don't have a down pipe, so the install you do (or have done by now) will be a different story. More heavy lifting. Tips on mine are still not centered, but I have a note into Alvin and expect to hear from him or Greg in Customer Service sometime soon. These folks seem very accessible, responsive and interested in helping. I'll post here again as I make progress. OBTW, you from MA or Maine. I'm in eastern MA.

FeatherRuffler

Ready to race!
Alright I just put the damn thing on... fucking rain sucks. The alignment doesn't seem bad to me. It WOULD be nice if the tips were a little further apart but that doesn't bother me. I've only taken it for a spin around the block but it sounds fantastic. My car sounds like its totally pissed off (that's a good thing). But... I have that same buzzing/strong vibration you are talking about I think. I can almost feel it in my teeth. Its when I get on it and the boost kicks in. That initial thrust brings a big vibration like a part of the exhaust is touching the frame of the car or something. Where did your mechanic put the bushings and spacers, that could save me some time figuring out where to start looking.

Eastern MA? I can see you got your tints done at Tint King in Billerica (I got the GeoShield 35) They do good work assuming that's where you got it done. Yea I'm up in Beverly... work in Maine.

Thanks for the help

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
So i installed the exhaust and first off this exhaust is mean,sounds good but could be alittle loud when you give it some throttle,NO DRONE whats so ever but you can add me to the list as the TIPS are not aligned correctly,i have emailed borla but have not got a responed from them yet,so for all others that have problems what are they going to do for us,give us the back portion of the pipes???

FeatherRuffler

Ready to race!
That's good to hear you have no drone, I've got THE WORST! vibration that comes in as a ridiculous drone. It's pouring outside so I couldn't get it on the ramps today to check if something is touching the frame and to adjust the 2 clams (maybe tighten them a bit). Do you have a downpipe... I'm wondering if that's causing some of the problems.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
That's good to hear you have no drone, I've got THE WORST! vibration that comes in as a ridiculous drone. It's pouring outside so I couldn't get it on the ramps today to check if something is touching the frame and to adjust the 2 clams (maybe tighten them a bit). Do you have a downpipe... I'm wondering if that's causing some of the problems.

No down pipe, on the rear muffler hanger i had to heat up just a bit and bend the hanger upward to catch the rubber mount,beacause the rear pipe was touching the subframe and vibrating very bad so you may want to look at that plus i had a lift and working on the ground is a PITA.

Also where the double clamp is loosen it up and turn the muffler down just enough where it does not touch the subframe that where i had to heat up the hanger. No more vibration just a nice mean sound,only thing i dont like is the tips.Im waiting on Alvin to responed to my email.

I hope it makes sence

FeatherRuffler

Ready to race!
Dude, much appreciated. I was getting real nervous. I'll cross my fingers and see if I can get it fixed tomorrow... damn you for having lift haha