GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 08-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #15
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 Golf R, 1968 Baja, 1962 Baja
Wheels and tires are all squared away. Toyo Proxes RA1 245/45/R16 will give us a nice footprint, and wrapped around some BRAID Fullrace A rally wheels will provide some durability.

We chose to go down in wheel size to get some more sidewall, can't wait to get these on the track! Check out all the details and driving impressions in the article:

http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...-car-grounded/

In other news, got the suspension all install this weekend, just need to fabricate a few things. Should have more info and pictures on that soon.

Building a Golf R WRC-inspired Recce Car Follow The Build!
Baja Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:05 PM   #16
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

So the suspension is all on and the article is coming later this week, in the mean time, we completed all the aerodynamic work. Here is a teaser:

Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #17
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

The article for the suspension install just went up. Not too different from installing any other set of coilovers except we had to clearance the top of the strut tower and shorten the swaybar end links.

The 3-way adjustability does just what it should. The car is even more secure on tarmac, but much more compliant on gravel. Here's the link to the article:
http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...-for-gruppe-r/

Here are a few pictures from the install:

The added ride height is just what we were looking for, and it has not affected handling negatively. Still lots of tuning to do with the shocks.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #18
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

The teaser for the body work is above but how we got there was a long process. I didn't want to put on a body kit that was purely form and no function.

I talked to two race engineers; one that worked for M-Sport and another who did his Masters thesis in the aerodynamics of WRC cars.
Here is a link to the article with their findings and the extensive body work we had to do:
http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...ics-for-rally/

The raw parts were in good shape but needed a lot of work

The Castrol Cup kit we got was intended for a 4 door so the rear flairs were 2 piece and needed to be grafted together, nothing a little fiberglass can't fix.

The front fender continuation pieces covered up the side indicators on the stock Golf R bumper. We wanted them to show so a little clearancing was required.

We got everything color matched just about as perfect as can be, it was tricky, there was a lot of red and green metallic flake depending on the angle of the light.

The spoiler came from a Polish rally shop that supplies the wings for Dytko, it was meant for a Polo which meant we would have to make our own mounting provisions.

Because we are not running a polycarbonate window that we can drill holes through for mounting bolts we fabricated some 4130 brackets that grab the edges of the glass and distribute the load over a large area. It took a lot of shaping, and then some body work but the end result came out really nice. The wing is plenty secure.

It was really interesting to read all the CFD research the engineers did regarding regarding the wing design, it's credibility that most body kit applications can't prove.

The final install of the body work involved a lot of minor fitment with the front fenders, then a bunch of 3M VHB tape for the rear fenders and front continuations. If you haven't seen VHB tape it's unbelievably secure.

The rear fenders had a lot of surface area to cover, and we didn't want to stick them on crooked. A few strips of painters tape helped us line up the edges.

Getting the wing on was as simple as clamping the brackets on the glass, and tightening down the mid-plane wing to squeeze everything together.

Here are a few more of the final result: See the article for more info and pictures.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #19
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
Holy crap that looks amazing!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:09 PM   #20
SoWalGTI
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2012 Mk6 GTI
I agree with dafuture. There some insane work and research being done with this build. Awesome job!

Could you please take some front side head on photos? Same for rear? I'd love to see how mean this thing looks coming and going.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #21
Emike34
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2010 CSG 4dr Base
Really like this thread . Thanks.
Emike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #22
Russellvw21
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives:
Subbd

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Russellvw21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #23
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Thanks guys, this has been a fun project. With pretty much no one else out there doing this I've had to figure out a lot of stuff.

Here are a few more pictures, there are more in the gallery at the bottom of the article: http://www.turnology.com/photos/pain...ics-for-rally/

I have a number of other installments coming, suspension tuning, some loose ends, engine stuff etc.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:56 PM   #24
dafuture
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: '12 GTI, '95 Volvo 850
I know you're mostly looking at functional upgrades, but I think a set of LED tails would really complete the look of the rear. Just food for thought!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #25
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Haha yeah, something to think about. I have some aesthetic non-functional stuff in mind but not much.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #26
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Quick update, I finished off the aerodynamic package with a flexible front air dam. I actually noticed a considerable change in steering feel.

Previously I had a slight vibration in the steering like an out of balance tire, it has disappeared. Turn-in to fast corners feels more planted and the inside corner of the car less less tendency to catch the air and lift.

Many people go for garden planter edging or a flat splitter, but because this car sees so much gravel, I didn't want to reduce the ground clearance. I opted to use some 1/4 inch conveyor belt material.

Here is the article with the install:http://www.turnology.com/news/mini-t...-to-the-front/

Old 10-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #27
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

So my wife and I just got back from our delayed honey moon. We decided to go on a trip to Las Vegas touring some of the best National Parks and taking in some shows.

Gruppe R was built to be an adventure vehicle, so what better vehicle to take on a tour of the rugged southwest?
Baker may not be the most scenic location we stopped in but hey it's a must if you're driving from SoCal to Vegas.

We stopped in Primm for lunch, but pressed on to our first sight seeing stop. Goodsprings.

From Goodsprings we got back on the freeway and headed up to Red Rock Canyon. The park has an awesome scenic drive road that goes one-way through the park and has several places to stop and hike or boulder. There wasn't much traffic so we couldn't help but take some cool pictures.

There's a 35 mph speed limit but itsa technical road and fun in a nimble car.

After a few days on the strip in Vegas we were ready to escape the crowds again. We hit the road and stopped at Valley of Fire National Park. After a little while there we pressed on to our real destination; Zion National Park. We hiked in the water of the Virgin River up the Narrows.

The car did fantastic along the whole trip, no problems. Plenty of power and comfortable with the gravel rally suspension.

Stay tuned for more details and pictures on some of the suspension tuning, power mods, and loose ends we wrapped up before the trip.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:23 PM   #28
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI Black Wolfsburg DSG/K04
Holy Crap man, this is what I want to do with my car!!! Its really really nice, I got to see that in person next time Im at socal if thats ok!!!
---APR K04 V3.1. APR Downpipe. Godspeed V2 intercooler. OZ Utraleggera. Stoptech ST40 BBK. Milltek Catback. Autotech Clubsport/DG springs. BSH 27mm RSB. WALK kit. 034 Billet Insert/motor/tran mount. AFE stage 2 intake. Unltronic DV relocation. OEM bi-xenon Conversion. Rear footwell. Depo LED tails. OEM euro front lip. Ebay fender flares.
theunholy is offline   Reply With Quote