GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > Member Car Journals

Old 10-26-2016, 09:34 PM   #29
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Drives: 2013 Golf R, 1968 Baja, 1962 Baja
Thanks man, yeah no problem. I do a lot of driving.

Building a Golf R WRC-inspired Recce Car Follow The Build!
Baja Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Tuning 3-Way adjsutable coilovers isn't something that many people have to do, but the ideas are the same for 2-way dampers, only I have high-speed and low-speed compression, and rebound.

There was virtually no guide anywhere online for troubleshooting different handling characteristics or problems so I wrote one from my experience and the advice from R.Tec.

Check it out:http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...c-and-proflex/

My coilovers have the rebound adjustment in the strut tower, while the compression circuits are on the external reservoir.

Because this suspension is intended for gravel rally, the spring rates are not super stiff, they are slightly stiffer than stock, but the shock valving makes for an overall softer feel.

The goal was to maximize on-road handling in terms of body roll and weight transfer, (mostly with low-speed compression) and to maximize gravel handling (with high speed compression).

I went through a number of different tests recommended to me by R.Tec, and then set out on my own with what I learned and had already known from desert racing.

The end result has been amazing, tarmac handling has drastically improved. The overall feeling is that the limit of traction is much further out and you're just not pushing the car until a higher speed.

At the same time, as soon as you get into washboard gravel or other rough conditions the suspension smooths out and is considerably less harsh than stock.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #31
theunholy
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2013 GTI Black Wolfsburg DSG/K04
Nice build its looking good. I know not many people like these kind of build, but I love it lol
---APR K04 V3.1. APR Downpipe. Godspeed V2 intercooler. OZ Utraleggera. Stoptech ST40 BBK. Milltek Catback. Autotech Clubsport/DG springs. BSH 27mm RSB. WALK kit. 034 Billet Insert/motor/tran mount. AFE stage 2 intake. Unltronic DV relocation. OEM bi-xenon Conversion. Rear footwell. Depo LED tails. OEM euro front lip. Ebay fender flares.
theunholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #32
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

Just a few updates; we decided to go APR stage 1, nothing crazy but worth the bump in performance. At the same time we installed the Remus racing cat-back system.

The exhaust is very mellow but produces a nice extra bit of sound. At low rpms the sound is throaty and burbles lightly, at higher loads and RPMs the main sound is rushing air like a jet engine.

We did dyno testing at Makspeed in Temecula to try the different APR maps, including 100 octane using VP HP101 fuel, everything was pretty much as advertised, and the 100 octane tune was impressive.

On 100 octane we made 276.4 hp and 306.6 lb-ft to the wheels.

Here is a link to the full article and video of the exhaust.

http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...and-vp-racing/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOLcoK-8x_A

Old 01-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #33
Baja Trevor
Ready to race!

There were a ton of little loose ends to wrap up to really make this project what it was intended to be. I didn't mention them as I went becuase I was focusing on the big picture parts and projects. Now the car is almost done I wanted to show a few of the details that took a lot of time.

Here is a link to the full article going through all the details:
http://www.turnology.com/tech-storie...he-loose-ends/

I was really tired of hoisting up a wheel and using lug bolts, so studs from ECS were one of the first little changes.

This car sees a ton of dirt and rocks, so a skid plate was a must. I have heard how fragile the stock cast oil pan can be so I decided some aluminum plate would be cheap insurance.

With all that gravel and dirt, I wanted to provide the body a little bit of protection, and in keeping with the rally theme of the car a set of mud flaps were required.

When I Installed the ProFlex gravel coilovers, the mounting location of the swaybar endlink moved. As a bandaid fix I cut down the stock end link and welded it back together. Knowing what loads this car would see on rough terrain I figured it's only a matter of time before I break one of the links.

I decided to get some rod-ends and tubing and fabricate some much beefier endlinks to fit my custom application.

The last vital bit was securing the external reservoirs for the front struts. I don't want these pressurized aluminum canisters bouncing around under the hood, so I fabricated some brackets.

Using aluminum tubing and plate I made cans that clamped the reservoirs in place. I re-used the mounting holes and hardware for the top tabs of the headlights.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:48 PM   #34
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
There goes the paint job

Love the build, great effort.
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #35
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Sub'd this build is awesome.
2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #36
Cal2000
Rally Car Champion

Drives: 13' GTI 4DR AUTOBAHN
Cool project indeed! Thx for sharing with us!
Cal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 PM   #37
riceburner
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
this is amazing. love the details!!!