VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum -

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - > HYDE16

Conversation Between HYDE16 and justsomeguy
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. justsomeguy
    08-24-2015 09:24 PM
    Hi Ryan, I didn't realize posted to my message - thank you for taking the time to reply. Quick backstory; I'm 56 years old, live in Southern Westchester and have been a long time member of NASA and SCCA doing Auto-X events, TTs, Road Rallies and occasional HPDE's in the NE for over 30 years. Also spent sometime in the early '90's competing in SE-R Cup events. This all changed for me a little over 4 years ago due to a health issue. I am no longer able to drive an MT which was devastating as that’s all I have had or ever wanted to drive. So, it was time to suck it up and find an automatic. I had been reading a lot at the time about dual-clutches and there weren't many models around that were moderately priced. I wanted to get a feel for this new dual-clutch tranny before - say - investing in a Porsche - just to determine it wasn't right for me. Then along came the perfect option, the GTI. My intention was to try it and if I liked it move onto an upper level sports car that offered the dual-clutch. But, I have found myself really enjoying the GTI. It is my DD, I have less than 8K miles on it and it is coming up to the 4 year mark when I had planned on considering the upgrade. Over the years - as my health permits - I have been gradually improving the suspension and braking aspects of the car and find that this chassis, with the right parts, is quite a decent handler. I have surprised much more expensive cars when the roads start to get twisty. And, I do have to admit I have always enjoyed that feeling when I owned a psuedo "sleeper" car. The only thing left for me now is to decide to move onto the motor or not. I have one year left on the powertrain warranty at which time I would make the motor upgrades should the cost vs. hp/tq vs. vs. handling vs. "sleeper" factor seem worth it to me. I am starting to lean in this direction and would begin collecting the parts. Therefore, I'm starting to look into what the cost would be to bring the motor up to a reliable K04 spec or greater. Your review of the Tyrolsport rad was quite interesting to me. I believe many people overlook the aspects of proper cooling and the many benefits you listed in your response. I had been pondering the effects on water temps by separating the IC (Neuspeed) {blocks airflow to the rad though} from an upgraded rad vs. the stock location with upgraded IC/Rad. I went the Neuspeed option though one might note the negative handling impact to a fwd with those extra pounds hanging out there. As soon as I'm ready to buy the rad I will let Tyrol know you were quite influential in my decision. Right now, I do want to get their stage 2 RB and sell the XB I never installed. I will again let them know you helped with my decision. So, sorry for the short story. I see I got a little carried away. Just one last question Ryan; do you run all your parts, all year long, including our sub-freezing temps? I am also interested in the lower control arm with adjustable ball joint - curious as to how that material stood up to a northern winter.

    Thanks again for all the reviews - they are truly beneficial!!!

  2. HYDE16
    07-29-2015 09:08 AM
    Hey Butch, thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate that and I'm glad I can help you out. For the intercooler, I have tested true front mount intercoolers and then the OE replacement intercoolers. I prefer a unit that replaces the OE intercooler location for several reasons (pressure drop, less piping and potential leaks, larger core). I am currently running the APR intercooler. If you were between Neuspeed and IE, I would take the IE with FDS technology. As for the radiator, how do you drive the car? Are you tracking, autocrossing or just daily driving? Are you in hotter climates? There is no doubt that the Tyrol Radiator is an amazing piece. From the CNC machined quick disconnects for the inlet and outlet to the actual core itself, it's a monster and a major upgrade from the OE radiator. I've seen coolant temps decrease ~30% which is big change which can affect engine oil/engine/exhaust/intake temps. If you're interested in the TyrolSport radiator, please PM me your email address, I would like to contact TyrolSport for you directly as I know them.
  3. justsomeguy
    07-26-2015 10:48 PM
    Hi Hyde, I have been reading many of your reviews and wanted to thank you for taking the time and energy to truly help other forum members. It is people like yourself that make forums of use. These have been very helpful in determining the different parts for my own build. I did want to ask you a question off forum as I value your knowledge and opinions and don't want to start any debates. With the understanding that there is a significant cost different what do you believe would be the better IC option whether staying stock or going to K:

    1) Neuspeed + stock Rad
    2) Neuspeed +Tryrol Rad
    2) IE w/FDA feature + Tyrol Rad

    Thank you very much if you should have time to reply.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.