GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change DIY

ch1pman

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks!

First of all - great post. Its awesome that someone takes the time to do this and your post was a huge help to me. I have a couple of things that I learned that would make it perfect.

First of all - the wrench. I dont know about others, but my filter was on good - as in no way of getting it off w/o a wrench. Well I just happened to get my hands on the perfect wrench for this job..there are several different kinds, but here are a couple designs - called a 'claw' wrench I think:

One other thing - a 19mm socket might work, but its not the right size and you might damage your plug head. On a MkVI you need an 18mm socket - I picked one up at the local auto parts store. I have three socket sets that all skip a 16 and 18mm size. I even tried to get closer than a 19 trying standard sockets but alas it is 18mm and nothing but :)

Thanks again for a great DIY!

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
What brand oil do you guys use? and what weight? I heard that with Audi, if you do not use a specific Audi approved engine oil they will void your warranty.. Not if this is 100% legit but i've read that somewhere...

hugoender1

Ready to race!
I think it would be useful if the OP could include a detailed list of materials (ramp, oil, filter, etc.) and if this thread was stickied.

Last edited:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
What is the filter part number ?

Thanks !

Oil filter part number is 06J115403C.

Here's a link: http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Filter/ES1899285/

What brand oil do you guys use? and what weight? I heard that with Audi, if you do not use a specific Audi approved engine oil they will void your warranty.. Not if this is 100% legit but i've read that somewhere...

I'm currently using Motul X-Cess 8100 5W40, which is VW approved. The weight our engine calls for is 5W40, normally, but I will be running Castrol Syntec (German Castrol) 0W30 in the future, and it'll be fine due to the fact that it's a "heavy" 30wt. To avoid warranty issues, I would stick to the list of approved VW oils listed here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2237991&postid=24073129#24073129 Some oils are able to exceed these standards, but are not listed as approved (Amsoil etc.) so I'm not sure about these.

I think it would be useful if the OP could include a detailed list of materials (ramp, oil, filter, etc.) and if this thread was stickied.

List of stuff you need for an oil change:
1. Oil (duh) :p
2. Some sort of lifting mechanism - jack/jackstands, ramps.
3. Oil drain pan
4. New oil filter (http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Maintenance/Engine/Oil_Filter/ES1899285/)
5. Oil filter wrench (75mm)
6. Cleaning supplies
7. 18/19mm wrench for drain plug

hugoender1

Ready to race!

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
QUick question, is that OEM oil filter? I looked at the pixs, but i cant tell. My sister took her Audi into the dealership yesterday bc the dealership messed up on her first (and only free) oil change and hassled her. I'm pretty sure VW would hassle us if we didnt used certified VW parts/oil.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
They CANNOT hassle you for using an oil filter other than the VW one, as long as it meets the VW specs. That's precisely what the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is for. Using the wrong spec oil, however, can void your warranty, although it's unlikely they'll catch it (but still not great for your engine).

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
EDIT: What lifting mechanism did you use? By that I mean brand name, model, etc. (Blitz Rhino ramps?)

Thank you.

Mine's just called Rhino Ramps... 12000lbs capacity.

QUick question, is that OEM oil filter? I looked at the pixs, but i cant tell. My sister took her Audi into the dealership yesterday bc the dealership messed up on her first (and only free) oil change and hassled her. I'm pretty sure VW would hassle us if we didnt used certified VW parts/oil.

Yes, OEM oil filter. MANN makes them for VW, I believe.

Geofux

Ready to race!
You should use a warranty approved oil filter and oil regardless. You'd be stupid not to.. especially if something does happen as it would just cause more hassle, even if you have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act on your side.

OEM oil filters are cheap enough as it is anyways and are good quality...

hugoender1

Ready to race!
I called my dealership and apparently they state that changing the oil myself will void my warranty... VW approved filter/oil or not. He asked my what year it was and when I said 2010 he said "Yep. It will void your warranty." This seems very odd.

EDIT: I take that back. My dealer just called and told me that if I change the oil myself I will have to make sure to keep the receipts of the filter and oil purchase in case I ever need to prove that I used VW approved products.

Last edited:

hugoender1

Ready to race!
I just bought those same ramps and they do not fit under the car. By that I mean, when you try to drive on to them the front bumper hits before the wheel can hit the ramp. How were you able to get yours on those ramps? I have yet to find a set of ramps that I can use on this car.

Cybe

GolfMK5 Graduate
2x4s in front of the ramps works, and IIRC, Rhino has a longer-profile ramp available as well.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
2x4s in front of the ramps works, and IIRC, Rhino has a longer-profile ramp available as well.

I looked at the Rhino site and they are all the same. They all state that they have 17 degree angle for low clearance vehicles but I tried them out and my GTI still hits it.

I am really curious as to how the OP got his car up on them.