GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Change DIY

bigshoulders

Ready to race!
I asked him the same question early in the thread.
He said:
It was a tight fit on the ramps! I barely cleared it, and that's with putting the ramps on an incline (my garage has a slope leading inside).​

If this isn't a workable solution, then I would suggest jack stands.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Are you changing your own oil because you want to do it more frequently than the VW program specifies for 2010 models: (assuming you don't have 36K yet)

Every 2010 Volkswagen comes with Carefree Maintenance, including a no charge Courtesy Vehicle Check. That means regularly scheduled maintenance for three years or 36,000 miles, at no charge,* which may cause you to experience an Anti-Anxiety Attack: an overwhelming feeling that everything is perfectly under control. Peace of mind. It's what the people want.

Taken from their Carefree maintenance brochure.

peace

Last edited:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I'm in Canada - I don't get free maintenance. It's about $100 for an oil change.

Also, I wanted to cut in half the recommended oil change interval for us Canadians (15,000km or almost 10,000 miles) because I have the car chipped, drive hard regularly and autocross every so often.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
I see, I don't particularly like the 10K either, so I'll see, my wife has had 3 new beetles and they all had 5K oil changes, synthetic oil etc., i wonder what has changed, other than VW paying for the changes. I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche that I do all the oil and tire rotations on myself (but it pretty high off of the ground and really easy, except for the tire rotations) , it only has 30K on it after 6 years so the GTI will probably be a low mileage car as well. By the way i don't have my GTI yet, it is suppose to be in the end of May.

peace

hugoender1

Ready to race!
You can check out the oil analysis that FN in MT and I did with our GTI's by clicking the link in my sig. This should give you an indication of what to expect. You can see the data and make your own judgement as to when you think it's a good time to change oil.

munkey

Ready to race!
It would be much more expensive for VW or BMW to fix their cars under warranty than it would be to add an oil change or two.

I will prob do a change early on, like 2500-5000 miles after the engine is broken in, and then at every 10k thereafter.

fokker

Ready to race!
^ not necessarily.

What's the cost of adding an oil change? What's the cost of a possible engine failure? How many engine failures do you expect?

I expect the oil changes cost much more than the possible engine failures.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
It would be much more expensive for VW or BMW to fix their cars under warranty than it would be to add an oil change or two.

I will prob do a change early on, like 2500-5000 miles after the engine is broken in, and then at every 10k thereafter.

My oil analysis and that of FN in MT indicate that an oil change this early (2.5k-5k) is overkill.

I ran my car REALLY hard (took it racing) and even with that, a change of oil at 6.7k was not necessary. Just look at the info in the link in my sig.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
Has anyone here used or have considered using a "Fluid Extractor"? Using one will save all of use the hardship of laying on our backs under the car and the potential mess. This makes Oil changes a pleasure to do at a fraction of the time without the fuss:

GRIOT'S MULTI FLUID EXTRACTOR - US$90

Probably there are other extractors out there but under a different name. If you can find it at a better price then go for it!

Attachments

• AUTOMOBILE FLUID EXTRACTOR.jpeg
    AUTOMOBILE FLUID EXTRACTOR.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 487

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Someone else posted up about those.....

By the time it takes to extract the oil, I could have the whole oil change done.....so how is that saving any time?

Changing the oil on this car is sooooo easy & not messy like you think it'd be.

Put drain pan under the car
Remove plug & let drain
Remove oil filter
Spin on new oil filter
Put in new drain plug
Fill with oil

Takes 10-15 minutes, plus I didn't have to spend $90 on an unnecessary tool :iono:

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!
Has anyone here used or have considered using a "Fluid Extractor"? Using one will save all of use the hardship of laying on our backs under the car and the potential mess. This makes Oil changes a pleasure to do at a fraction of the time without the fuss:

GRIOT'S MULTI FLUID EXTRACTOR - US$90

Probably there are other extractors out there but under a different name. If you can find it at a better price then go for it!

Extractors like those are a waste of time and money, plus you're not getting any of the debris that can accumulate toward the bottom of the oil sump. Not to mention, you have to clean the extractor out once you're done if you intend to use it for any other fluid. I think it was a decent idea in theory, poor in practice. Just do it "the old fashioned way", you'll be glad you did. That's the way the dealerships do the service, that's the way I'll be doing it.

MK05-HJ09

Ready to race!

By the time it takes to extract the oil, I could have the whole oil change done.....so how is that saving any time?

Remove plug & let drain
Remove oil filter
Spin on new oil filter
Put in new drain plug
Fill with oil

Takes 10-15 minutes, plus I didn't have to spend $90 on an unnecessary tool :iono:

Exactly, this is a straightforward, easy procedure as far as oil changes are concerned. I know it's a bit daunting to have the oil filter mounted upside down on the top of the engine, but it actually makes the job of servicing it yourself that much easier, as you only have to pull the drain plug underneath the car, not trying to clean a sealing surface and replace a filter you can't even see.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed

Remove plug & let drain
Remove oil filter
Spin on new oil filter
Put in new drain plug
Fill with oil

You are missing the point here. 10-15 minutes? For a quick somewhat messy job like the local Jiffy Lube. All the power to those that are able to change their oil the traditional way but for those who live in areas that have tight restrictions and/or do not have a garage to do so are better off using an extractor. Also this device does not take 10-15 minutes to suction off 4-5 qts. of used oil, have you used one recently? I am just stating that for those who do not have a ramp, a garage and/or unable to get below their GTI get one of these devices. US$90 is pocket change for people that have already purchase a US$25 - 30K automobile without taking into consideration the dollar amounts in upgrades, detailing, insurance, gas and misc. items.

THX-1138

Passed Driver's Ed
Extractors like those are a waste of time and money, plus you're not getting any of the debris that can accumulate toward the bottom of the oil sump. Not to mention, you have to clean the extractor out once you're done if you intend to use it for any other fluid. I think it was a decent idea in theory, poor in practice. Just do it "the old fashioned way", you'll be glad you did. That's the way the dealerships do the service, that's the way I'll be doing it.

Waste of time and money. Please prove your point with dollars and time as you state. The use of such device would be intended for oil change in this case, if needed for something else just clean it; I do not see the point that you make here. Debris accumulation? You would have a bigger problem if you have debris in your oil, maybe a shorter oil change cycle is needed and/or better oil filters. Other dealerships use this device as well (Mercedes, Audi and BMW). Again, I have nothing against the "classic" method, I am just providing an alternative method for those who wish to use it for whatever reason they may have.