GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKV R32 Springs?

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
I haven't found much on this topic as far as spring swaps. I've read that the MKV and MKVI suspensions are basically the same, and I recently started comparing the ride height between my pa's MKV R32 and my MKVI GTI. His car seems about half an inch lower (a nice moderate drop), with the same size tires that I have.

Would this be a valid swap to lower my car?
And are the stock R32 springs progressive or linear?
They seem to have an eased ride quality.

Another plus is being able to use OEM VW parts :D

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Sounds good in theory

I'm not too sure if they'll physically fit, but the spring rates are going to be out of whack since the R32 was heavier (V6 & the 4motion). Or the car just sits lower because of the extra weight too :iono:

A lot of people asked about it on the MKV sites, but I never saw anyone do it

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
.:R32 Springs are indeed lower over GTI springs by about 20mm iirc, and they are linear springs. However, as snobrdrdan stated, the .:R32 is about 500 lb heavier than a GTI, and more importantly the weight distribution is quite a bit different.

A 4 door fully loaded GTI may be able to use .:R32 springs with reasonable comfort; a 2 door with cloth would probably not feel very comfortable, but I suppose it would be worth a try ;)

dubbinit

Go Kart Champion
Sounds good in theory

I'm not too sure if they'll physically fit, but the spring rates are going to be out of whack since the R32 was heavier (V6 & the 4motion). Or the car just sits lower because of the extra weight too :iono:

A lot of people asked about it on the MKV sites, but I never saw anyone do it

You make quite a point here. It was a spur-of-the-moment thought, but the weight might make a significant difference in drop and ride quality.

This weekend I might pop both springs out and compare though :D

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
dont put r32 springs on a GTI. the r32 is heavier then the GTI, and ever heavier then the MK6 which is lighter then the old MK5 GTI already.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You make quite a point here. It was a spur-of-the-moment thought, but the weight might make a significant difference in drop and ride quality.

This weekend I might pop both springs out and compare though :D

Yeah like absoluteczech said, if anything, the car might sit higher (without the extra weight :iono:)

Get the Eibach Pro-Kits....just put them on yesterday....

Stock...