GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowered on H&R Touring Cup Kit

ksing44

Ready to race!
I just read this!!! The post is from January 2010.

"I just put an H&R Touring Cup Kit on my '10 Mini. If the included dampers were made by Bilstein at one time, they aren't any longer, at least not in the kit for my application - they're Konis. They have an "H&R Made in Germany" sticker on them, but are still stamped with "Koni" and "made in Holland", and even come with the standard Koni external adjustment knob for the fronts. Allegedly they're identical to Koni Yellows (Sports), but painted grey to match the springs in the kit."

FFAC

Ready to race!
Alright, I tried to get some quick close up shots of each wheel. I know they aren't the greatest but hopefully they work...

Front left...

Front right...

Back left...

Back right...

Last edited:

ksing44

Ready to race!
Alright, I tried to get some quick close up shots of each wheel. I know they aren't the greatest but hopefully they work...

Great effort!!! Thank you for giving it a try!!!

Even though I was begging to see photos, it really is hard to tell from the different angles in pictures. It looks like it might be a bit higher in the front, especially the right front. Would you say it is higher in front in person?

Not to give you homework, but maybe it could be better represented from a little bit farther away with both front and back in the same view.

The good news, are you still enjoying the improved handling and smaller gap?

FFAC

Ready to race!
Great effort!!! Thank you for giving it a try!!!

Even though I was begging to see photos, it really is hard to tell from the different angles in pictures. It looks like it might be a bit higher in the front, especially the right front. Would you say it is higher in front in person?

Not to give you homework, but maybe it could be better represented from a little bit farther away with both front and back in the same view.

The good news, are you still enjoying the improved handling and smaller gap?

Ya I hear you on it being hard to tell the difference in each photo. The wheel gap is definitely bigger in the front, I was hoping to get the front to settle a little bit more to be honest. Having said that, it is not a deal breaker for me, I did not want to go through the hassle of changing the height of coilovers (and the cost that goes with coilovers, of course!). And I happen to have a picture of what you are asking for...

As for the handling, it is much better, however I am a little disappointed with the amount of understeer...a rear sway bar might be in the near future. I know that understeer is going to be hard to get away from in this car, but as I push the car more and more to the limit, I am finding out why AWD is so important to some people.

Last edited:

ksing44

Ready to race!
I am getting accustomed to understeer myself. I'm no race driver or anything, but the other day my car simply plowed straight ahead trying to navigate a corner. I was on the throttle pretty hard and the thing just wanted to go straight. That didn't happen, at least not to that extent, in my rear wheel drive car. The good news is they say understeer is really a safer thing than having the rear whip around on you and going into a spin. Anyway, I'm not looking for racing performance. I just thought I would like the Cup Kit to make it a bit firmer and to get a bit less body roll and a bit less gap.

I don't want coilovers because of the stories of all kinds of issues. It really isn't the slightly added cost for me. It just seems just shocks and springs should be more reliable. I don't need adjustability, except maybe to get a symmetrical initial drop. I'm hoping to avoid coilovers.

Have you ever measured the distance from the ground to the fender lip, when parked on as straight a surface as possible? Photos are deceptive, but the measurements won't lie. When I'm parked in my garage, My car (2010 Golf TDI 4-door) is just under 26" at all four corners.

Thanks again!!!

Diluted

Ready to race!
Very nice looking. I can't wait to order these. Can I get away with just ordering the 2 pinch bolts? I'm only at about 1000mi so the stock mounts shouldn't be anywhere near worn at this point.

Bruh Man

Go Kart Champion

Front left...

Front right...

Back left...

Back right...

Looks good-your rears dropped more than mine, maybe the extra 70 lbs. from the 4-door? Were your rear shocks black or silver?

This is with a full tank of gas, once the tank hits the halfway mark the rear lifts up even more lol. :cry:

PandaGTI

Go Kart Champion
Ya I hear you on it being hard to tell the difference in each photo. The wheel gap is definitely bigger in the front, I was hoping to get the front to settle a little bit more to be honest. Having said that, it is not a deal breaker for me, I did not want to go through the hassle of changing the height of coilovers (and the cost that goes with coilovers, of course!). And I happen to have a picture of what you are asking for...

As for the handling, it is much better, however I am a little disappointed with the amount of understeer...a rear sway bar might be in the near future. I know that understeer is going to be hard to get away from in this car, but as I push the car more and more to the limit, I am finding out why AWD is so important to some people.

The stiffer suspension gives the car more understeer when used with the factory sway bars... I had the same issue with when I just had the Street Performance coil overs... Adding the 24mm h&r rear sway bar set to the softest settings makes the car more toss able and more responsive to throttle steer... Just throttle lift mid corner and the rear end steps out, then get back on the throttle and the car holds that angle of attack right through the apex as if it where awd... You'd be very happy with a bigger RSB:)

FFAC

Ready to race!
The stiffer suspension gives the car more understeer when used with the factory sway bars... I had the same issue with when I just had the Street Performance coil overs... Adding the 24mm h&r rear sway bar set to the softest settings makes the car more toss able and more responsive to throttle steer... Just throttle lift mid corner and the rear end steps out, then get back on the throttle and the car holds that angle of attack right through the apex as if it where awd... You'd be very happy with a bigger RSB:)

Thanks Panda, I wasn't sure if it was just my imagination when driving a couple days ago. The understeer is definitely more evident with this suspension paired up with the stock sways (from what I can tell so far). I am being very picky...even with the increased understeer this kit was well worth it.

how many fingers can you get in there? 2?
1 finger all around, + 1/4" on the front driver side.

I can get 1 finger in the back and 1.5 fingers in the front.

ksing44

Ready to race!
This is a great thread with great photos and wonderful stories about fingering. I am excited about getting my own tight little gap. Now measurements from the ground to the fender lip would complete the story. :thumbup:

Any chance you guys would use a tape measure to measure from the ground to the front and rear fender lips? I just remeasured mine. I have a stock Golf TDI 4-door suspension and I am running the stock tire size, 225/45/17. I am running the tires a little soft, 32 psi at all four wheels. Just now, with about 3/4 tank of gas, my measurements are listed below. I was parked in my garage, the most level surface I could find.

My Measurements
  1. front driver side: 26 inches
  2. rear driver side: 26 inches
  3. front passenger side: 25 7/8 inches
  4. rear passenger side: 26 1/8 inches

I know from experience that the 1/4 inch difference front to rear on the passenger side would be much more noticeable as the gap gets smaller. Right now, you really can't notice the difference with the naked eye, but you will be able to see that difference when the gap is smaller. It is not as fun as fingering, but I think the measurements really help.

Your cars do look great!!!

ksing44

Ready to race!
I am now having discussions with the A.W.E. Tuning headquarters about installation of the H&R Touring Cup Kit, or maybe H&R Sport springs with Bilstein Sport shocks. I am also asking them about and seriously interested in the H&R 24mm rear swaybar. A.W.E. also seems willing to help me find out if the Touring Cup Kit actually uses the same H&R Sport springs and Bilstein shocks. I guess I'm pretty lucky to live close to the A.W.E. headquarters.

I would love to get more feedback and experiences from you guys about the H&R Touring Cup Kit. It is fun to read comments as I am thinking about my own modifications. Thanks for all your help so far.

Last edited: