GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
Have you ever adjusted a DG before? Bc that statement kinda makes no sense. From the way I understand it anyway. I do agree tho i dont expect it to get any "smoother"...I just dont want to feel like im jamming my shifter into a wall when going from 2nd to 3rd in high revs....thats the only time it happens.

it doesn't prevent you from missing shifts from what i've seen. the adjustments only shorten the throw and make sure it's aligned. now if it's not aligned properly it can prevent you from getting into gear, but that's usually either 1st gear or 6th gear.

i installed the 42dd bushings because people said it helped, but i still miss gears. i believe the metal bracket and bracket bushings help as well. but my understanding is that to completely eliminate it, you have to remove the restrictor. no matter how fast you push in the clutch pedal, it will only flow so much fluid and if the pressure plate doesn't move fast enough you'll get locked out.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Kern, the accumulator is the circle thing attached to the clutch master on the firewall. I don't have a picture, but if you google "VW clutch accumulator" you should find it.

GTR_Killer, follow the adjustment directions to a T for the DG. I haven't adjusted mine since I put it in, and that's been through one transmission change. Never ever miss 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR_Killer

Go Kart Champion
Kern, the accumulator is the circle thing attached to the clutch master on the firewall. I don't have a picture, but if you google "VW clutch accumulator" you should find it.

GTR_Killer, follow the adjustment directions to a T for the DG. I haven't adjusted mine since I put it in, and that's been through one transmission change. Never ever miss 3rd.

I've tried using that lil insert tool that supposed to hold the shifter a certain way. I feel like its aligned the worst when i try and use that thing. I def feel like adjustments will solve the 2-3rd issue but not the notchyness. My friend has a DG and his shifts are so much more smooth than mine, I dont get it. His is also adjusted on point! I would have zero complaints if mine was like his.

Think these are worth a crap?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...ue-Solution-Shifter-Cable-Mount-Bushings.html

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I've tried using that lil insert tool that supposed to hold the shifter a certain way. I feel like its aligned the worst when i try and use that thing. I def feel like adjustments will solve the 2-3rd issue but not the notchyness. My friend has a DG and his shifts are so much more smooth than mine, I dont get it. His is also adjusted on point! I would have zero complaints if mine was like his.

Think these are worth a crap?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...ue-Solution-Shifter-Cable-Mount-Bushings.html

You have to use that tool. Just make sure you get it in all the way. That's how I've adjusted every one I've done and they are always on point.

I have those bushings, but the FFE ones (maybe me car will start breaking because of those...lol). Along with a meta bracket from a mk4. They do work with getting the flex out of everything. It's worth a shot, plus adjusting the cable correctly.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Have you ever adjusted a DG before? Bc that statement kinda makes no sense. From the way I understand it anyway. I do agree tho i dont expect it to get any "smoother"...I just dont want to feel like im jamming my shifter into a wall when going from 2nd to 3rd in high revs....thats the only time it happens.

Adjusting won't really cure or fix the notchiness. That is part of the DG shifter which I for one like. Makes the shifter feel more mechanical like a mustang.

On average how many times do you have to adjust it before you get it on the money?? I dont think I have ever gotten mine perfect. Like they say, side to side doesnt take any special fine tuning. You can pretty much set that any which way, unless thats my problem, lol ...but i dont think so.

My other VWs the first time I installed the shifter it was perfect. My mk6 it took 2 adjustments to get it perfect but the only gear that was tuff to find was first. I never had any problems hitting 3rd even shifting on the floor.

How much? why worth it?

they were $30 shipped...they take out a little bit of slop for a more positive engagement feel. The FFE are nice because the 2 halves screw together so it is easy to reinstall the bracket since there isn't much room back there. I still have the plastic bracket honestly I don't think you will feel a whole hell of a lot of difference with a metal bracket it is pretty beefy.

haha that 458 driver is a tool. He wouldnt come out unless you bet him $500 and he for sure knew he would win.

Bolded response

Edit: you definitely have to put the trans into home postion and lock the lever with the bent nail to get it adjusted right. You should have 1/4" to 1/2" on threads showing on the front to back linkage

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
New log is up: https://www.dropbox.com/s/adlb7u8ys7dmzka/LOG-01-011-032-313-54C-1014-1063-115C.CSV?dl=0

Notes: This log is with improvements made by JR, new colder plugs gapped at .025, and fixed some boost leaks.

Notes about the logs:

-Car is requesting boost of 2550mbar finally
-Still super rich
-Didn't go over 6000RPM
-Injector pulse starts to max out around 7.4 @ 6000RPM
-17PSI still

This kind of reiterates what I had assumed earlier, something else could be cause the ecu to go rich at about 5500rpm.

The first pull in this log doesn't show it but the 2nd one does, however the first one literally stops on the sample that corresponds to the 2nd run doing it.

My experience with ED on the tsi is very limited and nothing blatantly stands out. Can you do this exact same log like 3 or 4 times to 6,500. That way we can see if its predetermined in the file or it is an actually inconsistency of the car. Yes it goes super rich and running the injectors thin up top but that correlates to the requested being like 11:1 so its not like you are actually running out of fuel, its almost an erroneous number.

What really has me stumped is how the requested is changed all of a sudden.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
This kind of reiterates what I had assumed earlier, something else could be cause the ecu to go rich at about 5500rpm.

The first pull in this log doesn't show it but the 2nd one does, however the first one literally stops on the sample that corresponds to the 2nd run doing it.

My experience with ED on the tsi is very limited and nothing blatantly stands out. Can you do this exact same log like 3 or 4 times to 6,500. That way we can see if its predetermined in the file or it is an actually inconsistency of the car. Yes it goes super rich and running the injectors thin up top but that correlates to the requested being like 11:1 so its not like you are actually running out of fuel, its almost an erroneous number.

What really has me stumped is how the requested is changed all of a sudden.

I've done a few logs up to 6500 but I don't feel comfortable bringing it up that high anymore, the misfires are eventually going to damage something. I'll post the entire log folder I have stored, there should be a few pulls up to 6500 in there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kbsx5gaysok0wg9/AABL-8eq1A3V73b1xhznZWh9a?dl=0

Edit:

I went over all the logs myself and I don't see any consistencies in Lambda at all. I think the best lambda was today's run, the first one. Then the second one following it 10 mins later was worse. But I believe the first log was 3rd and the second log was 4th gear so that could be why. Weird stuff.

My lambda is all the logs at 5500RPM is anywhere between .74-.86

Last edited:

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
James, i haven't tried to look at any of your logs yet, but some of what is being talked about sounds like issues i had with the LPFP controller under the back seat.

i would get really rich lambda .74-.75 low hpfp actual 120-130 bar and way high injector pulse width 8-10ms. when i put a gauge on the lpfp side you could see the pressure drop below 4 bar as the other stuff started happening. might be one more path that goes no where, but try and check it out.

james9120

Go Kart Champion
James, i haven't tried to look at any of your logs yet, but some of what is being talked about sounds like issues i had with the LPFP controller under the back seat.

i would get really rich lambda .74-.75 low hpfp actual 120-130 bar and way high injector pulse width 8-10ms. when i put a gauge on the lpfp side you could see the pressure drop below 4 bar as the other stuff started happening. might be one more path that goes no where, but try and check it out.

Is the hpfp actual labeled "fuel pressure" in vag com?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
never heard of that. have you pulled yours?

Yes sir. Just did it when I put the big turbo on. It actually seemed to make a noticeable difference in how the clutch engaged and disengaged.

Jamie@apr is the one who actually suggested it in a k04 thread. He said that, and the bleeder were the two best things to do for quick shifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.