GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 intercooler vs. Stock

swfloridamk6

Go Kart Champion
You can always replace oem with S3 and if you still need more cooling add the Forge twincooler on top of the S3. I have the Forge and stock now with stock turbo. When I go KO4 I will replace oem with S3.

gh172

Ready to race!
I've read reviews of people who have installed the S3 Intercooler on a K03 car and they have commented on how much better the car pulls. I haven't noticed anyone with the APR cooler say they noticed any difference in the way the car pulls after having the cooler installed. A guy I know had the APR cooler installed on his R yesterday said the same. Would that be because of the bigger core?

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
I've read reviews of people who have installed the S3 Intercooler on a K03 car and they have commented on how much better the car pulls. I haven't noticed anyone with the APR cooler say they noticed any difference in the way the car pulls after having the cooler installed. A guy I know had the APR cooler installed on his R yesterday said the same. Would that be because of the bigger core?

No out actually is because you haven't read apr reviews....

gh172

Ready to race!
No out actually is because you haven't read apr reviews....

Thanks for assuming what I have or haven't read!
As I mentioned at the end of my comment, a guy I know actually had one installed yesterday and didn't notice any difference in response at all. He said it felt a little smoother but that was about it. I've been trying to decide on the right Intercooler for the last month, and have infact researched all of the known VW forums for information . Just saying, with all the feedback I have found, although its common to hear the APR does a great job of keeping temps down, I haven't heard anyone say the car felt more responsive immediately after having it installed as I have heard about those that have had the S3 installed.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for assuming what I have or haven't read!
As I mentioned at the end of my comment, a guy I know actually had one installed yesterday and didn't notice any difference in response at all. He said it felt a little smoother but that was about it. I've been trying to decide on the right Intercooler for the last month, and have infact researched all of the known VW forums for information . Just saying, with all the feedback I have found, although its common to hear the APR does a great job of keeping temps down, I haven't heard anyone say the car felt more responsive immediately after having it installed as I have heard about those that have had the S3 installed.

THIS is what intercoolers do for our cars. For other certain turbo applications upgrading your intercooler can result in substantial gains. In the 2.0 FSI/TSI platform upgrading your intercooler doesnt provide us hardly any performance gains. Upgrading our intercoolers is 95% about getting rid of the horrible heat soak one can even get when stock, let alone tuned. Keeping things consistent if you will. I would say people who are feeling much of an increase in power with ICs on these cars are probably just used to being heat soaked most of the time. When I was stage 2 I would feel substantial heatsoak after just 1 or 2 runs.

BTW, Have you seen our stock intercooler? The thing is crazy lightweight and shitty. I seriously doubt the thing weighs much more than a pound. Horrible OEM unit.

If you plan on going beyond stock turbo I highly recommend different intercooler options over the s3. Even with just a k04, I bet with your s3 intercooler you would have to add a "twin intercooler" to the setup like from forge or godspeed(or goodspeed, i forget). Good luck man, its good u r doing your research.

Last edited:

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
The s3 is undeszed fr the k04...it would be kind of like running he stock ic on a stage 2 tune...not quite that bad, but you get the point

I'm going stage 2 soon and still have stock ic, and I'm a little worried. Planning to save for the apr fmic in the spring since I also want to eventually go K04 and only want to pay labor once.

Seriously hoping the cooler winter temps will keep it reasonable until spring, but I probably should get on an ic soon... It'd be a waste of time to try and track it stage 2 with stock ic, i imagine?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
^^ S3 works fine in Canada. I plan on adding a W/M kit in the spring - that way I can keep things cool and run the 100 oct map.

yep^^ that's what I'm considering too.

You will regret getting the s3 intercooler if you are going beyond stock turbo.....

/thread

really, why? and for the comment on "undersized" for the K04, people know its the same IC that goes WITH the K04 stock, right?!?!

If you plan on going beyond stock turbo I highly recommend different intercooler options over the s3. Even with just a k04, I bet with your s3 intercooler you would have to add a "twin intercooler" to the setup like from forge or godspeed(or goodspeed, i forget). Good luck man, its good u r doing your research.

If "have" to add a twintercooler, then you might as welll just go Eurojet or APR from the get-go. Again, I am most likely going to run the S3 and have no issues whatsoever with a K04. IF you are in hot weather and on the street, and doing multiple runs, then you would experience heat soak - for me, I take it to the track, so thats where it matters for me , and the fMIC design is pretty optimal for good airflow.

Stanielz

Ready to race!
You will regret getting the s3 intercooler if you are going beyond stock turbo.....

/thread

ive had the k04 with an s3 intercooler down here in florida for 2 summers now.

ive autocross and hit the drag strip with it.

no complains here, haven't noticed any real heatsoak. and i always give people rides whenever we have VW meets. and the car always pulls likes it supposed to.

just saying, a lot of people can speculate. but its not always right.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

no complains here, haven't noticed any real heatsoak. and i always give people rides whenever we have VW meets. and the car always pulls likes it supposed to.

gregsju29

Go Kart Champion
I ended up ordering the APR intercooler with the AWE Turbo Outlet Pipe. Maybe it's overkill, but now I can have peace of mind and know that the intercooler is doing its job. One step closer to k04! Expecting some gift cards for Xmas to make that a reality

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
^^ Nice and baller.

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion

Very good to know, I live in Houston and would assume the humidity is the same and the temperature may be a little higher, but only being stage II the s3 intercooler should be ok.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
OEM source it (getvwparts.com, ecs, etc), or AWE has it with the hoses and TOP, I believe, for $6xx something, I think its on sale right now on their site for black friday, etc.