GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

lowerthanzimmy

Go Kart Champion
Has this problem been confirmed on other cars? the TSI engine has been around since late 2008 and is deployed on several VW models.

yes, the TSB report is for 2.0 TSI Engine All models '08-Current.

alot of the cases i found were Tiguans when i was researching the fault codes i got.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
yes, the TSB report is for 2.0 TSI Engine All models '08-Current.

alot of the cases i found were Tiguans when i was researching the fault codes i got.

Yep, the problem seems most prevalent in 2009 Tiguans. I believe this is related to the Automatic Transmission. When you park it allows the car to roll a bit and takes up the "slack" in te timing chain. If the tensioner is failing or has failed it will cause the car to jump timing.

I put on my parking brake EVERY time I park now.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I've also heard of Accusump Oil Accumulators as a fix.

chc29

Ready to race!
Yep, the problem seems most prevalent in 2009 Tiguans. I believe this is related to the Automatic Transmission. When you park it allows the car to roll a bit and takes up the "slack" in te timing chain. If the tensioner is failing or has failed it will cause the car to jump timing.

I put on my parking brake EVERY time I park now.

might be a complete misunderstanding here.. but does that mean we MT shouldn't park in gear?? :iono:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
might be a complete misunderstanding here.. but does that mean we MT shouldn't park in gear?? :iono:

I would get to where you want to park, pull the parking brake, and then put it in gear as a second layer of protection. Once the parking brake is pulled you shouldn't roll.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
im going to ignore this issue till i reach 5yr or 60k. in the meantime, i hope to have an extended warranty time span if this issue occurs. similar to what vw did for the fsi's cam follower issue. i know this issue has not affected no where near as many people the cam follower issue did, but we dont really know how this will affect us as more of us get closer to 100k and beyond.

prospal

Ready to race!
anyone know a roundabout price it would cost to have VW install the updated tensioner? I understand it all depends on labor charge rates or w/e, but maybe roughly how many hours of labor to perform this update?

i'm still under warranty, but i'm pretty sure i'll get shot down if I ask for this to be updated at my 30k service next week lol. it is a TSB right?

speed

Ready to race!
anyone know a roundabout price it would cost to have VW install the updated tensioner? I understand it all depends on labor charge rates or w/e, but maybe roughly how many hours of labor to perform this update?

i'm still under warranty, but i'm pretty sure i'll get shot down if I ask for this to be updated at my 30k service next week lol. it is a TSB right?

scary stuff ain't it? thing is, even if the model's a new one, they may encounter the same problem whether at 10k or 60k mileage.. I'm just curious what's the percentage of such problem amongst vw owners (if they haven't gone for a recall yet, guess they're opting to fix whenever one comes up)

from lowerthanzimmy's post:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Thanks I'll add it to the reference.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Hey, I recognize that photo.....:rolleyes:

speed

Ready to race!
;)

because it is from the thread you posted on vortex with that tiguan.

I see, SkullV was the first to post it. Nevertheless, thanks to you both for documenting this.

@SkullV, just in case, could you send the TSB to my email sir? Thanks!

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I see, SkullV was the first to post it. Nevertheless, thanks to you both for documenting this.

@SkullV, just in case, could you send the TSB to my email sir? Thanks!

PM me your email.