GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official Timing Chain Tensioner failure thread

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Today my car started sounding like a diesel when driving. It only did it in the lower RPMs. EPC light would come on intermittently.

Turned the car on two and it stayed on. Turned it on the 3rd time and it stalled out.

Does this sound like a tensioner failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlygreenturtle

Today my car started sounding like a diesel when driving. It only did it in the lower RPMs. EPC light would come on intermittently.

Turned the car on two and it stayed on. Turned it on the 3rd time and it stalled out.

Does this sound like a tensioner failure?

My car did a similar thing when the tensioner took a shit and my timing chain jumped. I limped it home in 1st and 2nd gear. I would try to avoid starting it if you can.. did you have a flashing CEL? Or just the EPC?

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Just EPC. Confirmed it was the tensioner today but apparently only skipped a tooth or two. Waiting on warranty to see if VW is feeling generous.

rlygreenturtle

Just EPC. Confirmed it was the tensioner today but apparently only skipped a tooth or two. Waiting on warranty to see if VW is feeling generous.

Good luck — mine skipped 2 teeth, no valve/piston damage, so you should be good as far as that’s concerned. If you have a decent service history with VW, they should cover it. Let us know what happens!

I know how much of a pain this whole ordeal is, but with it only skipping one tooth, you did get lucky in an otherwise shitty situation.

joefix413

So for those of us that need a replacement what is the best part to replace it with??? Go back to vw and say " Let me buy that POS failure part" or what are the best aftermarket parts for this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
So for those of us that need a replacement what is the best part to replace it with??? Go back to vw and say " Let me buy that POS failure part" or what are the best aftermarket parts for this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a revised version it should be replaced with. Might also want to replace the cam bridge as a lot of times the mesh screen fails and it could lead to not enough oil getting around in the engine and lead to issues as well.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...ing-chain-tensioner-service-kit/06k109467kkt/

Might be able to find a cheaper kit elsewhere but this is what you need.

joefix413

Aqualung

Passed Driver's Ed
There is a revised version it should be replaced with. Might also want to replace the cam bridge as a lot of times the mesh screen fails and it could lead to not enough oil getting around in the engine and lead to issues as well.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...ing-chain-tensioner-service-kit/06k109467kkt/

Might be able to find a cheaper kit elsewhere but this is what you need.

To confirm, the cam bridge is a separate part from what you provided here (the kit), right? I just rolled 70k for my '11 GTI and saw someone just had a failure a little over 70k.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
To confirm, the cam bridge is a separate part from what you provided here (the kit), right? I just rolled 70k for my '11 GTI and saw someone just had a failure a little over 70k.

Yes the cam bridge is seperate from the link I provided. It may not be an issue... I never really heard of it causing problems until the shop told me about it. I think a few others on here might have had problems with it but I don't think it is as wide spread as the tensioner.

The link I provided was only for the tensioner.

This link below is the Cam Bridge:
https://shopdap.com/store/06h103144j-2-0-t-tsi-cam-bridge.html

jshay

Go Kart Champion
VW declined my warranty request as expected so the car is now under the knife at an independent shop. Fingers crossed.

rlygreenturtle

VW declined my warranty request as expected so the car is now under the knife at an independent shop. Fingers crossed.

Ouch. That’s what happened with mine. Dealership turned me down because of my mileage, even though I have an excellent service record. I’ve heard of other dealerships working with people on it, though. Sucks because this has become an all too common thing. Good luck with the repair.

jshay

Go Kart Champion
Why??

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

I'm at 77K and I knew the chances were slim but the dealership wanted to give it a shot anyways.

Ouch. That’s what happened with mine. Dealership turned me down because of my mileage, even though I have an excellent service record. I’ve heard of other dealerships working with people on it, though. Sucks because this has become an all too common thing. Good luck with the repair.

Thanks. I also had nearly perfect records at the dealership. It's funny since I had planned do to the tensioner at 80K too. Less than 3K away :\

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm at 77K and I knew the chances were slim but the dealership wanted to give it a shot anyways.

Thanks. I also had nearly perfect records at the dealership. It's funny since I had planned do to the tensioner at 80K too. Less than 3K away :\

Scary...my plans right now are to do it at 75k and I'm at 70k.