GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer:
In NO WAY am I trying to advertise this company or product. I do not list full hyperlinks to the product for advertisement or to direct sales, only my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed in my own car.

After the major improvements from my TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit, I came across the TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB) to see if I could clean up the shifter assembly a bit more.

Shifter Assembly:
I’ve looked at different ways to firm up the shifter assembly engagement and gain more direct feedback when shifting through gears. Whether driving around town or driving aggressively through back roads or on track, I wanted to reduce or remove the rubbery feeling. After driving an R8 with a gated shifter assembly, I realized that there is nothing better than precise and guided shifting through gears. Now, obviously, we are not going to find a gated assembly for the GTIs but anything which can provide a more direct, fluid motion could benefit the shifter assembly.

Initial Upgrades:
Initially, the TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit with the HPA Red 75 durometer core interlock lower motor mount (pendulum mount), OEM DMF with South Bend Stage 3 Clutch Disk, NLS 02Q TOB Shims and OEM Audi S3 / TT European short shifter absolutely improved the shifting due to proper “locating and fastening” benefits but the shifter was still left feeling somewhat rubbery with some play.

The Remaining Upgrades:
In searching for additional ways to firm up the remainder of the shifter assembly I came across three different products for the next phase. The first was to replace the rubber shifter cable end link bushings with solid machined inserts such as the 42DD Shifter Bushing Set which I will cover below. The second was to replace the clutch bleeder block with the recently released ECS MK6 GTI 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block which I will cover in a separate review. The final piece was to replace the rubber shifter bracket bushings with solid machined bushings. These bushings are installed in the actual bracket that holds the shifter linkage assembly together on top of the transmission. My fear was that when the factory rubber bushings wear out, shifting may become even less precise, possibly causing missed shifts ultimately risking damage to my upgraded transmission (search for my HYDE16 Reviews Peloquin LSD & USP Steel Shift Forks review).

42DD Shifter Bushing Set (End Links) Description:
Eliminate sloppy shifts forever! Our CNC machined shifter cable bushings tighten up the movement of your shifter cables, literally connecting your hand to the gears. In a performance situation, the factory rubber bushings flex causing a delay in the engagement in the gears. Our bushings eliminate this delay and provide a precision shift free of slop or hesitation. Our shifter cable bushings are CNC machined from 6061 aluminum and fit precisely within the factory end link. Each bushing is sleeved with an oil-impregnated bronze bearing. This bearing provides constant lubrication and a lifetime of use without wear. Specifically machined for a variety of fitments, our shifter cable bushings provide instant results. Installation is a simple task and requires only slight modification to the side/side end link. If you're looking to feel your shifts, these bushings are the answer!

Choosing Shifter Bracket Bushings:
I came across three options on the market today, the Force Fed Engineering Positive Engagement Shifter Bushings (stainless steel), the Integrated Engineering Billet Shifter Bracket Bushings (T6061 aircraft aluminum), the Verdict Motorsports Shift Bushings (T6061 aluminum) and the TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB) (bronze alloy). All of these kits use solid machined bushings to replace the rubber bushings which can deteriorate over time causing excessive play in the shifter. Having experienced the quality of the TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit with bronze alloy collars I decided to stick with their lineup. See TyrolSport’s description below for why I continue to choose their products with their choice for bronze alloy technology. At the end of the day you may say, “why not go with a full shifter replacement like the DieselGeek shifter?” I prefer to run as close to OEM as I can thus the Audi TT/S3 short shifter, OEM end links and OEM shifter bracket.

TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB) Description:
The addition of this kit to your VW firms up shifting feel dramatically, and reduces the rubbery action notorious in VW shifters. This kit utilizes the same Bronze Alloy which TyrolSport pioneered on the Solid Brake Bushing kit. The Bronze Alloy insures that the bushings will not rust or seize to either your steel shifter bracket, or your aluminum transmission casing. We guarantee that you will feel a difference with these bushings installed, or we will give you your money back! For Manual transmission cars only.

TyrolSport Product Development:
As per my TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit review, I’ll reiterate some facts about TyrolSport’s product development. Greg Trillo, the product development manager, develops their products using parts made in the USA, CAD engineering, 3D printing and in house testing. They have recently released their revised TyrolSport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (with grease retention caps) for VW/Audi OEM factory braking systems and now their TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit to compliment their front subframe collar kit.

TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Kit (SSBB) Unboxing:
The package comes with three male and three female 954 grade billet bronze alloy bushings for use at the top and bottom of the shifter bracket mounting holes. In total the pieces replace the OEM rubber bushings in the three shifter bracket bolt locations on top of the transmission. When looking at the bracket there are two vertical bolts and one horizontal bolt which have OEM rubber bushings.

Rubber Bushings Removed from Shifter Bracket Removal:
Removing the rubber bushings is actually very simple. The shifter bracket or linkage does not require complete removal to swap the bushings. I removed my intake, MAF housing and battery for better clearance to the shifter bracket bolts. From there you remove the two vertical bolts and the one horizontal nut. Move the shifter bracket away from the holes and use a small flathead screwdriver to press out the metal inserts inside the rubber bushings, they should slide right out of the rubber bushings after you get them started with a screwdriver. From there you can use the same flathead screwdriver to pry the OEM rubber bushings out of the bracket. From there it will look like the second picture below.

TyrolSport Solid Shifter Bracket Bushing Installation:
After the OEM rubber bushings are removed simply install the three male and three female 954 grade billet bronze alloy bushings. First install a bushing assembly in the horizontal bolt location. I chose to install the male bushing first, then the bracket, then the female bushing and finally the nut. For the vertical locations, the bushings can be installed either way but I found it easier to install the male bushings in the bottom of the shifter bracket. The male bushings will loosely snap into place under the shifter bracket but can still fall out. Be VERY careful not to drop them behind the engine or in your subframe. I dropped one and had to jack the car up to reach up into the subframe from under the car to get at the bushing. After the two vertical bushings are in the shifter bracket I hand threaded the OEM bolts back into place. I tightened the horizontal nut first then the two vertical bolts. Everything was tightened with moderate force.

42DD Shifter Bushings:
The 42DD Shifter Bushing Set replaces the rubber shifter cable end bushings with solid machined 6061 aluminum bushings for a more solid and direct feel when shifting. I removed the end links from the shift linkage, pried out the rubber bushings and installed these solid machined inserts as per the 42DD directions.

Overall Results and Recommendations:
I chose to install the 42DD Shifter Bushing Set (end links) first so as to test each component individually. I feel this lead to the most drastic change in shift feel and feedback. Their website description is dead accurate, it literally connects your hand to the gears and there is no more delay in the engagement in the gears. After getting used to the 42DD kit, I installed the TyrolSport kit which I feel cleaned up any remaining play associated with rubber bushings found in the shifter bracket. A part of me feels that this kit completed my shifter assembly upgrades. Before, I could only slightly move the shifter bracket around with the original OEM rubber bushings leading me to believe there is some flex in the shifter bracket which could affect typical shifting. After installing the bushing kit, the shifter bracket had no play at all. Whether daily driving or aggressively driving, these upgrades provide more confidence in your shifting abilities. At times, it feels so easy I second guessed if I was actually in gear or if the shifter would kick back out. Neither addition led to any increase in NVH or feedback in the shift knob.

Overall TyrolSport is a great shop, super friendly and clean. Not only are they a typical performance shop but they also put a lot of time and energy into research and product development to improve our cars in some big ways. I enjoyed the fact that their R&D came from racing their own shop cars on weekends when they are not at the shop.

Last edited:

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
I have the tyrolsport SSBB along with a sigma 6. I love every bit of it. Everything is solid and precise.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hyde:

Thanks for the review! Man, the Tyrol guys do a lot with bronze bushings.

Question: The two major advertising points of the DG Sigma 6 seem to be 1) mechanical feel and 2) reduction of side to side shifter motion in addition to front to back. I'm not so sure I want reduction of side to side. (Maybe this is an uninformed viewpoint, but having some side to side motion would seem to reduce the possiblity of the so called "money shift"....

Anyway, it looks like with the S3 + 42DD + Tyrol you got the mechanical feel, reduction of front to back throw, but retained the stock side to side? Yes?

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
I love my 42dd bushings as well. Ran them on my last car too

You didn't get the complete 42dd side to side upgrade?

They modify the bottom bracket to eliminate all slop

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/categories/products/shifterbushings.html#

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I have the tyrolsport SSBB along with a sigma 6. I love every bit of it. Everything is solid and precise.

That would be my next step, swap the S3/TT short shifter with 42DD bushings for the Sigma 6. Wish someone had it near me for a side by side comparison.

I have the 42DD ones. They are awesome. Really changes the feel of the shifter.

The best right? They rock.

Hyde:

Thanks for the review! Man, the Tyrol guys do a lot with bronze bushings.

Question: The two major advertising points of the DG Sigma 6 seem to be 1) mechanical feel and 2) reduction of side to side shifter motion in addition to front to back. I'm not so sure I want reduction of side to side. (Maybe this is an uninformed viewpoint, but having some side to side motion would seem to reduce the possiblity of the so called "money shift"....

Anyway, it looks like with the S3 + 42DD + Tyrol you got the mechanical feel, reduction of front to back throw, but retained the stock side to side? Yes?

You're more than welcome. As for the side to side, it's noticeable but not as bad as you may think. The 42DD bushing in the side to side end link cleans up some play thus giving you a tighter side to side movement. There is no real reduction in left to right movement of the shifter to the point where it may affect your front to back shifting. Hard to explain, wish you could test mine out.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

nafljhy

Go Kart Champion
they should've sent you those pieces too to ensure that your side to side gets reinforced. especially if you paid the same price as the set as mustache rash linked

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
that's why, that link is for the MK5 version I think, I called and got the MK6 version which has a screw and bushing setup.

The one I linked works 100% on our mk6. It has the same bushings as your review but also includes the plastic side to side reinforcement. It's the one I have been running for 15000 miles. Call them up and get that piece.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
That would be my next step, swap the S3/TT short shifter with 42DD bushings for the Sigma 6. Wish someone had it near me for a side by side comparison.

Very good chance you will see me on the 20th. I should be able to get there by 7:30-8, we'll see. I don't have the 42DD bushings though....