GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Would you recommend an alignment after installing these rear collars?

Thanks.

No, I wouldn't worry about the rear as you can only adjust toe and camber but I am a maniac when it comes to my alignment specs. After adding the front ST XTA kit with camber plates, now I'm fanatical over my camber specs front to rear, toe and caster.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
No, I wouldn't worry about the rear as you can only adjust toe and camber but I am a maniac when it comes to my alignment specs. After adding the front ST XTA kit with camber plates, now I'm fanatical over my camber specs front to rear, toe and caster.

I'm similar in that way.

I'm getting new Michelin PSS on Friday and getting an alignment after. But I won't have this kit for a few weeks and I'm wondering if I should just wait until I put everything on before getting an alignment.

But part of me doesn't want my tires to get screwed up in the interim. So i'll probably get an alignment now, then get another alignment and corner balance (again, as I'm raising my car tomorrow before the tires) before the new year (after this kit and a few other items).

Thanks for the feedback, as always.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'm similar in that way.

I'm getting new Michelin PSS on Friday and getting an alignment after. But I won't have this kit for a few weeks and I'm wondering if I should just wait until I put everything on before getting an alignment.

But part of me doesn't want my tires to get screwed up in the interim. So i'll probably get an alignment now, then get another alignment and corner balance (again, as I'm raising my car tomorrow before the tires) before the new year (after this kit and a few other items).

Thanks for the feedback, as always.

wait for everything, the feedback of the subframe kit and Michelin PSS tires will be sublime. Be patient and get it done 1x right, it will be so worth it.

Mike@TyrolSport

Ready to race!

TyrolSport Product Line Group Buy:
We have decided to launch their 2016 group buy with 10% off and free shipping for their entire line of TyrolSport products to help customers prepare for the upcoming street/track season. Follow their order instructions on the group buy forum threads below.
GolfMK6: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2383381

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer:
In NO WAY am I trying to advertise this company or product. I do not list full hyperlinks to the product for advertisement or to direct sales, only my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed in my own car.

After installing my TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit, I was all over their latest TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid REAR Subframe Collar Kit. Redline Speed Worx installed this kit for me while I was in for other upgrades (additional reviews will be up shortly) but this can be done with the rear tires on ramps, on a lift or with jackstands. Basically, remove one bolt at a time, use a long screwdriver to pry the subframe end away from the chassis, slip the top collar in, install the bottom collar and re-tighten the bolts.

Subframe Integrity:
So the dreaded “subframe clunk” and “steering click” was 100% resolved for me with the TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit. Now it was time to firm up the rear subframe to see if the rear suspension would react more efficiently. With the car on a lift, I attempted to shift the subframe or see how much flex the chunky rubber bushings had. I could only slightly move the rear subframe around leading me to believe there is some flex in the subframe while driving but nowhere near as much as the front. After installing the rear subframe collar kit, there was no play at all while on the lift.

TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid FRONT Subframe Collar Kit Description:
Since this rear subframe collar kit is a brand new product, I did not have a product description to share with everyone. I happen to know that the collars are machined out of 954 Billet Bronze Alloy for the ultimate in strength and corrosion resistance. I expect that this rear subframe collar kit will work with the same application list from the front subframe kit as well (MK5 Rabbit/Jetta/GTI/GLI/R32, MK6 Golf/Jetta/GTI/GLI/Golf R, MK5 Audi A3, MK2 Audi TT/TTS/TTRS, B6 Passat/CC). Please see the unboxing section below for more description on what’s included in the kit.

TyrolSport Product Development:
As per my TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Front Subframe Collar Kit review, I’ll reiterate some facts about TyrolSport’s product development. Greg Trillo, the product development manager, develops their products using parts made in the USA, CAD engineering, 3D printing and in house testing. They have recently released their revised TyrolSport Brake Caliper Stiffening Kit (with grease retention caps) for VW/Audi OEM factory braking systems and now their TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit to compliment their front subframe collar kit.

TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Rear Subframe Collar Kit Unboxing:
Unlike the front subframe kit where there are two kits available (choice of two ARP 8740 hot black oxide bolts or two ARP stainless steel bolts), there is only one rear subframe kit which comes with four 954 grade billet bronze alloy collar assemblies for use at the top and bottom of the rear subframe mounting holes, OEM bolts are to be re-used or replaced. In total, the kit includes top and bottom collars for the four rear subframe bolt locations. I chose to purchase 4 all new OEM subframe bolts (Volkswagen / Audi part number N 910 964 01) as I did with the front subframe kit. I found two sources that said to tighten the rear subframe bolts to 82 ft/lbs of torque or 90nm (66 ft/lbs) + 1/4 turn.

Rear Subframe Diagram (credit to KefferVWParts):

Assembly:

Location 1:

Location 2:

Location 3:

Location 4:

Overall Results and Recommendations:
To be completely honest I still have my winter tires on and can’t take my Northern, NJ on/off-ramps at high speeds. Within the next week or two I’m swapping to my new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and will circle back to give more feedback. A part of me feels that this kit, expected to sell for half the price of the front subframe collar kit, completes my subframe and chassis upgrades. With the front subframe kit I could instantly tell a difference in how the front springs and struts reacted more efficiently. With the rear, I expect that the springs and struts will react more efficiently as well. As stated above, I could only slightly move the rear subframe around leading me to believe there is some flex in the subframe while driving but nowhere near as much as the front. After installing the rear subframe collar kit, there was no play at all while on the lift. I look forward to other reviews as well (Grambles).

Overall TyrolSport is a great shop, super friendly and clean. Not only are they a typical performance shop but they also put a lot of time and energy into research and product development to improve our cars in some big ways. I enjoyed the fact that their R&D came from racing their own shop cars on weekends when they are not at the shop. Thanks to Redline Speed Worx for a flawless install and for allowing me to share this install with our community.
Hey, thanks for the detailed feedback, do I need to buy the front and rear kit?

https://wctperformance.ca/tyrolspor...-kit-for-all-mk5-6-jetta-gli-and-mk2-audi-tt/
(front kit)

https://wctperformance.ca/tyrolsport-deadset-subframe-kit-rear-fwd-mk5-6-7-mqb/
(rear kit)

it sounds like it's best to buy both front and rear? please confirm.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I had both kits installed at the same time with the front and rear swaybars. instantly transformed the car. I love it.
but the KIT includes the front and rear subframe components, I just need to buy the kit, which is this: https://wctperformance.ca/tyrolspor...-kit-for-all-mk5-6-jetta-gli-and-mk2-audi-tt/

not sure why they sell the rear subframe components individually...

so I should buy front and rear sway bars too?

which ones did you go with?

I love how our cars have sooo many mods available!!!

I used to drive a 08' Golf city (5 speed) back in 2014, didn't have many options.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
but the KIT includes the front and rear subframe components, I just need to buy the kit, which is this: https://wctperformance.ca/tyrolspor...-kit-for-all-mk5-6-jetta-gli-and-mk2-audi-tt/

not sure why they sell the rear subframe components individually...

so I should buy front and rear sway bars too?

which ones did you go with?

I love how our cars have sooo many mods available!!!

I used to drive a 08' Golf city (5 speed) back in 2014, didn't have many options.
I bought both front and rear kits directly from Tyrolsport. They sell those kits separately. They are super responsive so you may want to email them first. I got HR Front (26) and Rear (22) sway bars with Racine rear adjustable end links. Both sway bars are set to hard. I love this setup.

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I bought both front and rear kits directly from Tyrolsport. They sell those kits separately. They are super responsive so you may want to email them first. I got HR Front (26) and Rear (22) sway bars with Racine rear adjustable end links. Both sway bars are set to hard. I love this setup.
thank you so much for the feedback, I ordered the front and rear subframe inserts today. I bought the front from USP Motorsports, and the rear from WCT (locally) as WCT does not have the front inserts in stock.

Cal2000

Go Kart Champion
thank you so much for the feedback, I ordered the front and rear subframe inserts today. I bought the front from USP Motorsports, and the rear from WCT (locally) as WCT does not have the front inserts in stock.
Cool! You would want to make sure that you (or the shop) torque each bolt to spec per the installation manual. Very important. 👍

supreme_gti

Go Kart Champion
I successfully bought the rear and front kit... is there any instructions on the install itself?

but it doesn't come with instructions as to what goes where... I am taking it to a shop to get it professionally installed.