GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I Hear: Frankfurt-Bound Volkswagen Golf R Gets up to 300 HP

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Volkswagen will launch the next Golf R, based on the new seventh-generation Golf, at the Frankfurt Motor Show this fall. According to Auto Express, the new Volkswagen Golf R will be lighter, more powerful, and even a bit more affordable than today’s version.

Just like the current Golf R, the new model will be powered by a version of Volkswagen’s omnipresent 2.0-liter turbo-four. But whereas the current car produces 256 hp and 243 lb-ft of torque, Auto Express claims the new Golf R will muster at least 20 more ponies — and possibly as much as 300 hp. Increasing the horsepower count makes sense if the Golf R is to remain a step up, performance-wise, from the GTI. The 2.0-liter turbo-four in the 2015 Volkswagen GTI (pictured) will offer 220 hp and 258 lb-ft, up from 200 hp and 207 lb-ft in the current 2013 car.

Curb weight should also decline, partly because the MQB-based chassis in the seventh-generation Volkswagen Golf is lighter than the current sixth-gen chassis, but mostly because the new Golf R will reportedly have a lightened all-wheel-drive system. Whereas a 2013 Golf R weighs nearly 300 pounds more than an equivalent GTI, Auto Express says the mass difference could shrink to about 200 pounds for the new car. The 4Motion system will receive a revised front differential to help reduce understeer.
The best news yet for track-day enthusiasts: the Golf R will reportedly get a unique stability-control system that can be fully disabled. Many fans have complained that current Volkswagen hot hatches don’t let drivers turn off the bacon-saving electronics, which can hinder fun when driving on a track. If the news is correct, it looks like Volkswagen has listened to its audience and responded with an “off” switch.

Finally, Auto Express says the next Volkswagen Golf R will be more affordable, putting it closer to the price of the new GTI and closing the pricing chasm between the two cars. A 2013 GTI starts at $24,995 with a manual-transmission and three-door body, while a Golf R three-door is $34,990. (Both prices include a $795 destination charge.) Other changes include a switch to quad exhaust tips, instead of the twin central tips on the current car.

After its debut this fall at the Frankfurt show, the Volkswagen Golf R will reportedly go on sale in Europe by early 2014.

Source: Auto Express

JhnR

Banned
soon enough...might just keep my mk6 till the next mk7 R :)

GP813

Ready to race!
Quad exhaust tips? Bleh. I wonder if they're still gonna use the FSI motor.

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
i will sell my soul for it if it comes in DSG.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If it has DSG and that much power, I will consider it. Should be basically very similar to the S3 coming here in sedan form, but as we've seen, have way more/better options than Audi's, and at a lower price.

If anyone has learned anything on here, you should wait about 8mos after it comes out.. so you can get it less than sticker... a Golf R OTD at $40K isn't too sweet...

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
If it has DSG and that much power, I will consider it. Should be basically very similar to the S3 coming here in sedan form, but as we've seen, have way more/better options than Audi's, and at a lower price.

If anyone has learned anything on here, you should wait about 8mos after it comes out.. so you can get it less than sticker... a Golf R OTD at $40K isn't too sweet...

true dat. so like.... a little after summer timeish?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

stockton2007

Go Kart Champion
this would be tempting in a few years.

dsg would be a huge selling point for me.

just wish it had the 2.5l like the tt-rs, maybe just detuned (but that could be fixed...)