GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - ECS 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Disclaimer: I am only providing my feedback to help people decide if they feel they would benefit from what I have installed in my own car.

ECS 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block Description:
Create a more aggressive feeling clutch while improving durability with this new ECS clutch block. The new ECS Clutch Bleeder Block for six-speed manual transmissions is a quality replacement for the plastic restrictor (damper) installed at the factory. Unlike the plastic-bodied OE original, the ECS bleeder block is all aluminum, with a large metal speed bleeder for fast, one-man bleeding. Good looks and superior materials aside, the new ECS Clutch Bleeder Block does not have the fluid restriction found in the original. Meant to dampen clutch engagement, the restriction softens clutch operation, a characteristic favored by the average driver. For the not-so-average driver who wants a sportier driving experience, the unrestricted fluid passage in the ECS Clutch Bleeder Block means faster, firmer clutch engagement and disengagement. Installation is a snap: the bleeder block comes complete with sealing o-rings and attachment clips. Quality materials, improved performance, and easy installation all make this the ideal upgrade for the performance enthusiast and weekend DIY warrior, alike.

ECS 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block Unboxing:

ECS 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block Installation:
Install was easy, just remove the factory C-clips, pull the OEM plastic clutch bleeder block out of the bell housing, remove the clutch line and clean up any fluid. Have the provided o-rings and C-clips on hand for installation of the new ECS 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block. Install the new o-ring on the bell housing side and then another new o-ring on the clutch line. Install the clutch bleeder block by attaching the clutch line then pressing the other side into the bell housing, install both new C-clips. The provided o-rings and C-clips snapped into place well and it mounted against the bell housing nicely, unlike some earlier reports of the older MK5 style clutch bleeder block. Bleeding with the clutch pedal was easy; just follow the DIY video that ECS provides on their product page. I was skeptical of bleeding the clutch by hand/clutch pedal and not using a power bleeder but to be honest, not much fluid leaked out during install so the bleeding process only removed a tiny bit of air. After bleeding the system and driving the car I did not find any leaks at the bell housing or at the clutch line.

The one issue I have with the ECS 6-Speed Clutch Bleeder Block is that the one way valve did not have Teflon tape on the threads. When the valve was opened about a half turn while bleeding the system, air was actually being sucked into the clutch bleeder block through the threads then pushed up through the bleeder nipple and line. I had to close the valve and open it only about a quarter turn and bleed the system which took much longer than needed. My advice would be that ECS either add Teflon tape to their future kits or that the customer adds Teflon tape before installation.

Overall Results and Recommendations:
Overall does the clutch feel more aggressive? The pedal feel is nicer and more responsive, similar to moving from an OEM clutch assembly to an aftermarket clutch. The clutch pedal returns faster as well and shift engagement feels smoother especially when shifting aggressively or quickly. Is the clutch bleeder block a quality replacement for the factory plastic restrictor (damper)? Absolutely, the aluminum housing and metal speed bleeder are much sturdier. For the sportier driving, this connects the driver to the clutch a bit more via the unrestricted fluid passage. Install is simple and truly is a good weekend DIY install for beginners or professionals.

jspirate

Ready to race!
There has been alot of discussion about lag between shifts on the 2.0TSI. Some feel that its just turbo lag others ponder something related to the clutch.

Hyde16 - is there anything you can share relative to this kit and any effect on the lag between shifts?

hockeystar17mnj

Ready to race!
There has been alot of discussion about lag between shifts on the 2.0TSI. Some feel that its just turbo lag others ponder something related to the clutch.

Hyde16 - is there anything you can share relative to this kit and any effect on the lag between shifts?

The large lag say when shifting between first gear to second has been attributed to the throttlebody not responding to throttle input of your foot.
There was a thread floating around on here and vortex about it

jspirate

Ready to race!
The large lag say when shifting between first gear to second has been attributed to the throttlebody not responding to throttle input of your foot.

Mine does it between all gears. But yeah, I've seen lots of discussion on the subject.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

Remedied by a Sprint Booster?