GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CLEsonny's Build Thread

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Hey guys! My name is Sonny and I've finally decided to start a build thread. This is my first car that I bought and financed on my own. I bought this car in November of 2013 once I landed my first post grad job! I previously drove a '98 Accord EX-L with 184,XXX miles that was given to me by my mother.

Now I currently drive a 4 door Candy White 4 Driver's Edition GTI 6MT. I told myself that I'd keep it stock for a little bit, but I ended up buying stuff before I took delivery of the car.

Current mods:
APR Stage 1 tune (fully loaded) - tuned at 13XX miles by HS Tuning
APR Stage 2 tune - 250XX miles by HS Tuning
APR Stage 2 V2.0 tune - 31XXX miles by HS Tuning
APR Carbonio intake
Unitronic downpipe
APR catback
RSR Clutch by HS Tuning
034 Motorsports Billet Dogbone mount
HPA Short Shifter
DEPO dark cherry LED tails (OnePerfectDose)
AirLift AutoPilot V2 management
VIAIR 444cc compressor
AirLift Slam Series front+rear with Bilstein struts
VSP Type 1 Wheels wrapped in Sumitumo HTR Z II
deAutoKey 5000k LED fogs
20% tint all around
50% windshield tint
euro switch
deAutokey interior LEDs
deAutokey licence plate LEDs
deAutokey front+rear turn signal LEDs
deAutokey reverse LEDs
OEM front lip
Vortex style side skirts
color matched side markers
GTI seat lever inserts
hardwired Valentine 1
VAGCOM - windows via remote, high beams + fogs, 100% DRL brightness in city mode, LED tail lights

Future:
K04
RNS 510

instagram.

Last edited:

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Installed my dark cherry LED tail lights last light before the snowstorm. I got them from OnePerfectDose. The fitment is not perfect, but that is expected with reps. I haven't done any adjusting or anything, but they fit pretty well for just dropping them in. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to install. The harest part was probably working with the cloth/plastic trunk liner. I will probably end up unhooking the impedence boxes and coding them.

Here are some iPhone pictures from last night and this morning before I rolled into work.

Last edited:

OnePerfectDose

Ready to race!
Installed my dark cherry LED tail lights last light before the snowstorm. I got them from OnePerfectDose. The fitment is not perfect, but that is expected with reps. I haven't done any adjusting or anything, but they fit pretty well for just dropping them in. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes to install. The harest part was probably working with the cloth/plastic trunk liner. I will probably end up unhooking the impedence boxes and coding them.

Here are some iPhone pictures from last night and this morning before I rolled into work.

CLEsonny,

Let me know if you need help adjusting them, shoot me an email. I have a link in post 1 of the group buy which has instructions for adjusting. For the inners, you can loosen the two nuts and shift which will affect the gap between inners and outers.

You should be able to get these extremely close to OEM fitment.

ThatGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hi! Another Ohioan here. :D The car looks good. :thumbsup: Where did you get your car tuned at? I was looking at getting mine done eventually. Also is your vanity plate flat? I also have a vanity plate, and the letters aren't embossed like they are on the old plates. But I've also seen new plates with embossed characters. I think they might just do the vanity plates that way, because it's cheaper or something.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Looking good!

Thanks! Hope to see you more coming this Spring.

Hi! Another Ohioan here. :D The car looks good. :thumbsup: Where did you get your car tuned at? I was looking at getting mine done eventually. Also is your vanity plate flat? I also have a vanity plate, and the letters aren't embossed like they are on the old plates. But I've also seen new plates with embossed characters. I think they might just do the vanity plates that way, because it's cheaper or something.

I got it tuned at HS Tuning in Westlake near Crocker Park. I highly recommend HS Tuning. They are very knowledgeable and have great customer service.

Every (newer) vanity plates that I have come across are flat. My regular plate has embossed letters. I think that is normal for Ohio. But if they did want it to be cheaper, I think they should just get rid of the front plate law. All the boarding states don't require them :thumbdown:

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Just got my tax return this week. I'll probably pick up a set of H&R Ultra Low coils. I'm hoping for warmer weather and Cleveland potholes to be fixed.

Some photos from Instagram taken from my phone. These we taken when I first got the GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

erikras

Ready to race!
Slapped 20% tint all around

Who did your tint? Happy with them? I'm looking for a reputable shop.

I should add that I'm not looking for cheap. I'm just looking for someone who will do it right and uses quality (Lumar, 3M, Vista, etc) film.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
Who did your tint? Happy with them? I'm looking for a reputable shop.

I should add that I'm not looking for cheap. I'm just looking for someone who will do it right and uses quality (Lumar, 3M, Vista, etc) film.

Max Flores at Elite Auto Sound (Winnin Window Tint). He does good work IMO. He said he has done a lot of cars that have gone through HS Tuning and a handful of people I know that have gotten their cars tinted from him. Max is a super nice guy and talked to me while he was tinting my car. I am not sure what kind of tint he uses, but he tinted my car for $140 with a lifetime warranty. I've been quoted $200-$300. A lifetime warranty is as good as the shop is open, but he has been around for 3 years and just moved to a new shop.

I am very happy with my tint. I did just notice one piece of lint in my hatch tint. I was going to wait for the weather to warm up to take it back...maybe I'll do it Friday.

I've heard that Tint Pros does good work and they are an authorized 3M dealer. They were the ones that quoted me $300 if I remember correctly. Clownish might be able to vouch for them.

If you happen to go with Max, mention that Sonny with the white GTI referred you.

From his Instagram:

17170 Broadway Ave

Maple Heights, OH 44137

440-714-5343

http://eliteoh.com

Last edited:

erikras

Ready to race!
Thanks! I'll give Elite a call. I was also considering Finish Line in Parma just because they're a 3M dealer and close to my house, but I've heard mixed things.

CLEsonny

Ready to race!
I've heard that 3M tint isn't as good as it is hyped up to be. Those are the words of someone I got a quote from. I am sure the quality is there, though.

I was in your same shoes before, but I couldn't pass up a $140 tint job. Max knows what he is doing. His shop was super busy on a Friday morning if that means anything.

clownish

just clowning around
I liked tint pros. They dealt with my waffling, and were helpful about choices and options. I've seen in person examples from SUVs to sports cars to high end sedans and their quality of work is pretty consistently great. My windows have honestly never been cleaner than immediately after my tint install. I only got 55% all around but I like it a lot. Shields rays, heat reflection and a clean look all around. It's barely been half a year so hard to tell on quality but from an installed perspective I have no complaints at all. Took them about 6 hours to do my car - I don't know if that was straight or over the course of. Expensive but they did it right in one shot.