GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Roll call for Those with R8 Coilpacks: Reliability Feedback Wanted

POLE ON DEM PACKS.

• Since purchasing them, I’ve had zero failures.

Votes: 301 95.3%
  • I’ve had 1 or more failures confirmed as the coilpacks and nothing else. Please explain in post.

Votes: 15 4.7%

• Total voters

Laimface

Ready to race!
i think it worked.

Mission successful

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed

Prescription_Bandit

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed mine this past December, 0 failures(though my stock ones that it came with from the factort also had 0 failures too lol).

The main reason I bought mine because I was running Uni Stage 2 and felt like I was getting some hesitation with the increase in power; the R8 coilpacks alleviated this.

Last edited:

realcyberbob

Go Kart Champion
I can't believe this is really a debate. There's 2 options, run stock coils or run R8's which may be slightly more expensive but if the cost difference breaks your bank you shouldn't be tuning your car anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't believe this is really a debate. There's 2 options, run stock coils or run R8's which may be slightly more expensive but if the cost difference breaks your bank you shouldn't be tuning your car anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Cost is not the debate, cost effectiveness is. Also, if they are not an improvement, they would not be considered a "tune". They're also not any more expensive than stock coils.

wudini

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you thought about the fact that there are people on this forum that are already/have been where you are, have asked for advice/information for the same thing, and have come out perfectly fine or ahead of the game after "real world tests" by other fine forum members? You're knocking everyone who has gone through all the tests possible and are implying slightly that these tests aren't good enough. If that's the case, buy the coils from A**zon so that if they don't do what you want them to, you can send them back for free and get your money back. It's that simple.

food for thought...

To be fair I'm not knocking anyone, period. All I want is some unbiased proof that the coils are better and I would buy a set this afternoon. My search for that proof has got me defending myself, which is pretty unbelievable.

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed
To be fair I'm not knocking anyone, period. All I want is some unbiased proof that the coils are better and I would buy a set this afternoon. My search for that proof has got me defending myself, which is pretty unbelievable.

Like I said, then just buy the damn things and see for yourself. If you like them, keep them. If not, return them. They're ~$85 for the coils and ~$35 for the iridium plugs. You're not going to get 100% unbiased proof because everyone has their own opinions. You're dragging this out more than it needs to be. Just f***ing do it already.

AngstyPotato

I went Stage I and blew the stock coils twice.
Stage II now with R8 coils and have had no issues.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I went Stage I and blew the stock coils twice.
Stage II now with R8 coils and have had no issues.

To bad thats not real data for them... real world experiences dont matter as they are too biased and do not prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.. :iono:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I mean, if you like being randomly stuck on the side of the road go ahead and use the stock coils.

I keep stock coils as a back up for my r8s, but I wouldn't use them full time.

farscape79

Passed Driver's Ed
To bad thats not real data for them... real world experiences dont matter as they are too biased and do not prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.. :iono:

:dnftt:

2012TP

Drag Racing Champion
I mean, if you like being randomly stuck on the side of the road go ahead and use the stock coils.

I keep stock coils as a back up for my r8s, but I wouldn't use them full time.
+1.

Buy the things, even to keep as spares for the time being. Stock coilpacks will blow, eventually. $100 really isn't alot of money, whether you have kids, mortgage, whatever. Not worth taking the chance and be wishing I had the packs when the car is stuck on the side of the road/limping home.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Wake up horsey!