GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5 speed to 6 speed gearbox upgrade

GTE Age

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys

2nd thread now (on a roll today - I should be working really :word:)

Anyway - I have just had a moment. Albeit may be a stupid one, however do you think it is possible to upgrade the standard 5 speed gearbox found in 1.6 tdi's to the 6 speed one found in the 2.0 tdi's, with a recode through Vagcom?

I am thinking about this now as I am going to be remapping mine in the next few months (possibly april/may) and wondered what the implications would be. I drove my friend's 2008 2.0 TDi Passat last week on a motorway run and found the 6th Gear to be like gold when chilling at 70-80mph. Would be an amazing retrofit if possible.

Has anyone done anything like this? and if so what did it involve?

zrickety

The Fixer
More important than coding is will it bolt up? There may be a myriad of differences and little parts to buy. Are you talking about manual or DSG? I would be surprised if it's a straight swap. I would tell you to sell your car and get one with the transmission you want.

GTE Age

Passed Driver's Ed
More important than coding is will it bolt up? There may be a myriad of differences and little parts to buy. Are you talking about manual or DSG? I would be surprised if it's a straight swap. I would tell you to sell your car and get one with the transmission you want.
It is a manual 5 speed at present. I have read on another forum for a mk4 that this had been done. The only difference being that the gearbox casing was slightly bigger.

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/75772-5-speed-to-6-speed-gear-box-on-a-ahf-engine-110bhp/

I wouldn't have thought that the parts would be majorly different. According to this post (I know it is for a mk4) it seems that there are 2 ways to do this, by changing the gearbox completely and by "modifying" it - the latter of which I do not want to do.

Is it also true that the 6 speed offers better MPG?

zrickety

The Fixer
It depends on gear ratios but as a rule of thumb it will be slightly better.