GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo BOV, GFB DV+, OEM Rev D Comparison/Review

NolaMKVI

Ready to race!
MT correct?

dopoz

Passed Driver's Ed
I was reading this thread as I recently installed the Unitronic intake and get the whistle sound roughly between 3-5k rpms when I am on the throttle.

CTS does make a complete DV replacement for those not wanting the BOV version.

http://www.moddedeuros.com/products/cts-turbo-diverter-valve-kit-cts-dv-0002

Just curious if anyone has installed this after getting a whistle noise under WOT with a new intake and if it resolved.

Is it a whistle sound, a hiss, or a rattlesnake? Hiss would be normal turbo spooling up, whistle may be leaking DV (but that seems surprisingly rare for modded Rs), rattlesnake is compressor surge flutter (https://youtu.be/VDafiOvKfXs).

If you have a whistle from leaking DV, one solution would be the Go Fast Bits DV+.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Have my hands on a Vag Com Cable. Let me know what you want logged. Here are my current Fuel Trims with CTS BOV and Unitronic Intake.

fuel trims.jpg

I love it! If he was closer I would let him borrow mine. The idea here is to test the data back to back for OEM "D", GFB DV+ with spring, GFB DV+ without spring, CTS BOV, etc.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Rule of thumb is to keep lambda adaptation under 4%. Not sure where that came from though, just word of mouth. Idle trims look great, needless to say.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Have my hands on a Vag Com Cable. Let me know what you want logged. Here are my current Fuel Trims with CTS BOV and Unitronic Intake.

View attachment 48206

That's so weird that you're running into a lean condition whilst I'm running into a rich condition. I'm at -9.4% partial. But that's always been the case with this CTS Intake. What I can also vouch for is that this DV has NO impact on fuel trims, throttle response or over-all drive-ability. I regularly scan my car with VCDS and can also report no errors relating to it. I also believe the car is pulling a little bit harder and I can feel a difference between it and the Rev D DV. This is definitely a nice upgrade, albeit a little expensive IMHO.

What I am going to log though is boost actual vs. requested. I'll post the logs when I've done it :) (note: this is on a MK6 GTi K04 as opposed to the OP's Golf R)

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
Is it a whistle sound, a hiss, or a rattlesnake? Hiss would be normal turbo spooling up, whistle may be leaking DV (but that seems surprisingly rare for modded Rs), rattlesnake is compressor surge flutter (https://youtu.be/VDafiOvKfXs).

If you have a whistle from leaking DV, one solution would be the Go Fast Bits DV+.

Sorry mate, that's not compressor surge. It's the wastegate controlling boost levels. Nothing wrong with that and all modified MK6's do that. It annoys the crap out of me that every one immediately thinks "oh noes - compressor balls!" when you have a car with a wastegate AND DV. Anyone claiming that the "rattlesnake" noise is surge is indirectly implying that neither the wastegate nor DV on our cars work. And that's just plain wrong.

Last edited:

slysop

Just put on a CTS turbo BOV on my 2015 GTI. When I am at half throttle with a little bit of boost and shift to the next gear (usually 2nd to 3rd), the BOV stays open for 1 second then closes like its taking a gulp of air.
This only happens every once in a while.
Has anyone else witnessed this before? I did a search on the net but looks like I couldnt find anything.
Thanks

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
Just put on a CTS turbo BOV on my 2015 GTI. When I am at half throttle with a little bit of boost and shift to the next gear (usually 2nd to 3rd), the BOV stays open for 1 second then closes like its taking a gulp of air.

This only happens every once in a while.

Has anyone else witnessed this before? I did a search on the net but looks like I couldnt find anything.

Thanks

How long has it been on the car? It might just be adjusting itself. I believe rupertpumpkin said his made a more fluttery noise at first which smoothened out into just the air release sound. Check all your lines for leaks and give it some time.

GroceriesVR6

Passed Driver's Ed
Any updates on this? Interested in this BOV

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I'll jump in here too. MK6 GTi K04 with Unitronic Stage 2+

My CTS BOV is still epic. Holds boost very well with epic BOV sound. I have not had a single issue thus far.

watusay

Hey, First off and I know this is not the place to say, but my previous profile has been banned for absolutely no reason. Huzidada. Mods please reply to me.

Okay so I have full Uni stage2+ and all supporting mods on my R. ITS A DSG. Already had a GFB+ but just for laughs and giggles I purchased the CTS BOV kit.
Firstly as everyone stated, awesome build quality and packaged with everything necessary with easy enough instructions.
Car felt awesome and pulled awesome, no trouble codes etc.

So did some logging. CTS had been installed on car for about 3 weeks now. Perfectly adapted etc.
After logging, the CTS I waited 20mins and installed the GFB and logged immediately. After logging the GFB I reinstalled CTS and did one more round of logs.

What I found is boost came on a little stronger, a little faster and lasted just a little longer per RPM with the GFB installed. Car felt a lot smoother even when driving normally to my "test spot".

I did a 4th gear 80 to 160kmph pull on the exact same stretch and both still managed the exact same 6.7s time.

So even though the GFB has better characteristics, its so negligible that you wont notice it.

What you do noltice is partial throttle response. Theres a very slight delay with the CTS. Especially on downshifts and when playing with the accelerator through the twisties.

Its not very noticeable to the average driver but for someone that depends on good response and a balance/smoothness while tackling the twisties, its an irritating feeling.

Conclusion, both excellent products. My fuel trims excellent with both and straight line performance was near identical for both valves. Both are excellent buys.

But the GFB is the slightly better driver choice, not only for the price point, but for partial throttle(hope Im using the right word) response.

Hope this helps.

Cheers