GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HYDE16 Reviews - ST XTA Coilover Kit

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
What drives you to make these reviews? I'm obviously glad you do it, but like...why? Also good looking out on the dudes part. I enjoy a comprehensive pro/con list.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
What drives you to make these reviews? I'm obviously glad you do it, but like...why? Also good looking out on the dudes part. I enjoy a comprehensive pro/con list.

That's a great question and I think the first time someone asked me...

At first I started doing it to actually drive me to learn more about tuning my first turbo car, in speaking with company reps and learning more about their products it was easy to share the info I gathered.

As time went on I noticed the endless variety of parts in each category and a sickness came over me, one that drove me to perfect my car or find the best part from the best company for each category (see the removed section of my build thread).

Then it got to a point where I wanted to modify almost every category of the car to learn what it would change/improve/alter from a daily driving perspective

Knowing that I'm limited to a K04 turbo I went with this suspension system to max out FWD traction and adjustability.

bart2278

Go Kart Champion
I want to make my car the best bcracecar/daily driver that I possible can. My issue is I do not have another car to fall back on if this one is down for any reason. Do you have a back up that you can fall back on?

My other issue being it takes forever to save up the money to have quality parts installed. i.e. - I could just slap a drop in disk and call it a day, but I want something that will last and hold the power. There is a $700 dollar difference between mods. Do you just have a lot of disposable income? I guess I am looking for advice as to how you are able to modify your vehicle, the way you do.

I will say your reviews take a lot of the guesswork out of my decision making on mods, so thanks for the great reviews.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
You're welcome. The only advice I can give you is take your time, I started this all back in 2011 when I purchased my car in Oct 2010. With a wife, house and two kids disposable income is limited but if you take your time it can all be done. And no, this is my daily driver and daycare shuttle, tons of stress when the car has been down at times.

jbarth09

I'm very interested in these and thank you for the review. Had some questions.

Why adjust the end links so that there is zero load on the sway bars? (suspension noob. I've put on my flamesuit :p)

When you say the adjustment key doesn't work, is that only for the camber adjustment and not the dampening adjustment? meaning, without modification can I still adjust dampening but not camber?

If using the non adjusting end links that ST provides, does this hurt performance? And does having adjustable end links help in the corner balancing?

I didn't see it, but do they have rebound adjustments like the KW v3s?

If I got these and didn't do the corner balancing like you did, would I be doing these coils a disservice? Would it be detrimental to the cars performance if say I mirrored your FTG and dampening settings?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I'm very interested in these and thank you for the review. Had some questions.

Why adjust the end links so that there is zero load on the sway bars? (suspension noob. I've put on my flamesuit :p)

When you say the adjustment key doesn't work, is that only for the camber adjustment and not the dampening adjustment? meaning, without modification can I still adjust dampening but not camber?

If using the non adjusting end links that ST provides, does this hurt performance? And does having adjustable end links help in the corner balancing?

I didn't see it, but do they have rebound adjustments like the KW v3s?

If I got these and didn't do the corner balancing like you did, would I be doing these coils a disservice? Would it be detrimental to the cars performance if say I mirrored your FTG and dampening settings?

OEM end links are fixed length to match the height of the car, as soon as you change the height of the car the fixed length end links will either push down or pull up on the sway bar which adds additional stiffening to the car before the car is dynamically moving. Adjustable end links can be adjusted to assure you are in a zero preload situation while static.

With the strut towers the way they are from the factory, the adjustment tool does not reach down far enough, you just need to use a standard metric allen key. I decided to cut my strut towers so I can use the tool and access the camber plate bolts.

Again, the car should be corner balanced and then the end links should be adjusted for zero preload based on the final height of the car after you corner balance it or adjust the height for the look.

These are link V2's, damping only.

You could mirror my FTG measurements but the cars will be different weights, 2-door vs. 4-door, CCTA vs. CBFA, manual vs. DSG, different weight of the driver, I have a meth tank, etc. Corner balance your car for it's setup and weight to maximize this coilover kit. A corner balance is NOT needed but will maximize this kit.

jbarth09

OEM end links are fixed length to match the height of the car, as soon as you change the height of the car the fixed length end links will either push down or pull up on the sway bar which adds additional stiffening to the car before the car is dynamically moving. Adjustable end links can be adjusted to assure you are in a zero preload situation while static.

With the strut towers the way they are from the factory, the adjustment tool does not reach down far enough, you just need to use a standard metric allen key. I decided to cut my strut towers so I can use the tool and access the camber plate bolts.

Again, the car should be corner balanced and then the end links should be adjusted for zero preload based on the final height of the car after you corner balance it or adjust the height for the look.

These are link V2's, damping only.

You could mirror my FTG measurements but the cars will be different weights, 2-door vs. 4-door, CCTA vs. CBFA, manual vs. DSG, different weight of the driver, I have a meth tank, etc. Corner balance your car for it's setup and weight to maximize this coilover kit. A corner balance is NOT needed but will maximize this kit.

Thanks for the response. Did you have any other updates referring to the front dampening adjusting? I know you originally had it set to 75% soft, but mentioned the car would float at highway speeds and mentioned that you would drop it to 50% soft in the front to try and correct this. Do you have any additional feedback on this setting?

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the response. Did you have any other updates referring to the front dampening adjusting? I know you originally had it set to 75% soft, but mentioned the car would float at highway speeds and mentioned that you would drop it to 50% soft in the front to try and correct this. Do you have any additional feedback on this setting?

50% front and 50% rear has been perfect, responsive yet soft enough, highway driving is no longer floaty.

justrelax

Great write-up, thanks, it answered a lot of questions I didn't know I had yet :) Curious... what sway bars are you using? I just ordered a set of XTAs, and am in the process of determining what bars to use with them..

Nevermind, I found your build thread. I do have a different question, though... I noticed you're using the KW 30mm rear spring spacers. Care to explain? I searched high and low, and couldn't find anyone who thought they were necessary. Wondering what your motivation was there.. thanks!

Last edited:

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
Great write-up, thanks, it answered a lot of questions I didn't know I had yet :) Curious... what sway bars are you using? I just ordered a set of XTAs, and am in the process of determining what bars to use with them..

Nevermind, I found your build thread. I do have a different question, though... I noticed you're using the KW 30mm rear spring spacers. Care to explain? I searched high and low, and couldn't find anyone who thought they were necessary. Wondering what your motivation was there.. thanks!

The reasons I added the 30mm spacers was to create a raked look without the front end being ultra low. It allowed me to dial in a 0.5" higher ride height in the rear without maxing out the XTA collar.

RichBGTI

Ready to race!
Just for reference, as i suspect this will come up on other folks searches:

I've got the ST XTA kit, and i've been dealing with KW in regards to the rear ride height. I've got it on its maximum height setting (40mm on the adjuster) and still the car is too low at the back. I had a 330mm hub center>arch measurement at the maximum height.

KW agree that the car needs to be able to go higher, but that it is not possible due to the fact that i've got it on its maximum height setting, so are sending me 2 new springs to raise the rear end up and allow me to safely run higher.

Excellent service from KW on this, really couldn't ask for better service as the only time it has taken me is 3 emails and 5 minutes measuring.

I'd suggest that anyone who feels that the rear end if too low at its highest, contact KW and see what they can do for you.

Rich