GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Leak - Warranty?

falcon1

Hey all - I just got back from the dealership - I had brought my car in due to an oil leak. I was the last one to change the oil, so they told me if it was due to something I did, it wouldn't be covered under warranty (fair enough, I guess). Anyway, they brought me out to the car and showed me it was leaking from the oil plug, and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty since I did the last change. I told them to fix it (who knows - I thought maybe I stripped something) and they did, but on the description in the paperwork, it says "oil leaking from oil plug due to faulty oil seal", and they suggested I change the oil seal each time.

Here's my question - why the heck doesn't VW cover this repair under warranty? It says right in the description "faulty oil seal" - it doesn't say anywhere in the manual I need to replace that with each oil change, so I don't know why I just had to pay $102 (!) to have them replace it and top the oil off. Thanks!

eldiablo1

Ready to race!
there is no defect in their product or workmanship so VW will never cover an issue like this. The manual does not detail how to change oil.

The topic of oil drain plug difficulties is well covered in this forum and I suspect that the dealer sees quite a bit of these issues. Consider installing a fumoto valve during next oil change to make future changes easier.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Anyway, they brought me out to the car and showed me it was leaking from the oil plug, and said it wouldn't be covered under warranty since I did the last change. I told them to fix it (who knows - I thought maybe I stripped something) and they did, but on the description in the paperwork, it says "oil leaking from oil plug due to faulty oil seal", and they suggested I change the oil seal each time.

Here's my question - why the heck doesn't VW cover this repair under warranty? It says right in the description "faulty oil seal" - it doesn't say anywhere in the manual I need to replace that with each oil change, so I don't know why I just had to pay $102 (!) to have them replace it and top the oil off. Thanks!

I'm confused at the amount...what was replaced? I'm going to guess the little crush washer and maybe the bolt? All of maybe $4 for parts then they did and oil change and charged you for that? NO way they removed the oil pan (if it was stripped) for that kind of money. :confused:

Excuse my ignorance as I'm trying to piece together what part they replaced to stop the leak. As for myself I know I don't replace the washer every time i do an oil change even though the stealership gives me one free with each oil filter I buy. I've completed 5 oil changes without changing it and I check the plug. However...my next oil change I do plan on cutting off the old washer and sliding on a new one... just to keep my mind free of "what if's"

falcon1

I'm confused at the amount...what was replaced? I'm going to guess the little crush washer and maybe the bolt? All of maybe $4 for parts then they did and oil change and charged you for that? NO way they removed the oil pan (if it was stripped) for that kind of money. :confused:

Excuse my ignorance as I'm trying to piece together what part they replaced to stop the leak. As for myself I know I don't replace the washer every time i do an oil change even though the stealership gives me one free with each oil filter I buy. I've completed 5 oil changes without changing it and I check the plug. However...my next oil change I do plan on cutting off the old washer and sliding on a new one... just to keep my mind free of "what if's"

I had them check the boost as well. They said it was an hour of labor, which is what they charged (no parts charges). As far as I can tell, all that was replaced was the crush washer.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
oh ok.. then I understand the cost then. makes sense.. in reality they charged you for time they spent checking your boost. Cool. Merci.

the good news story, albeit it was $102... now you'll get that $.50 part and replace it, torque to correct vectors and no more oil leak.

falcon1

oh ok.. then I understand the cost then. makes sense.. in reality they charged you for time they spent checking your boost. Cool. Merci.

the good news story, albeit it was $102... now you'll get that $.50 part and replace it, torque to correct vectors and no more oil leak.

Very true! I picked up a bunch of them while there, so no more worrying about it. I suppose it was a $100 lesson. :)