GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Choosing the right sparkplugs for your R

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I installed the PFR7B plugs tonight gapped to .028.

Idle made me think the car was off. Super smooth. Not a single misfire anywhere. Feels great.

The right plugs make a huge difference. Pretty sure that's the plug my tuner recommends. You should be able to set it at .026 and see how it runs there.

bebersol

Ready to race!
Sorry I haven't been back here in a while. I ordered and installed the Denso IK22's.

The VAG Bosch double platinums that I pulled (OEM) looked good (@31K).
The new iridiums have been flawless, my gas mileage has improved a tweak and no misfires at WOT.

I also installed a Neuspeed CAI, but the filter element was a piece of garbage. I replaced it with a Volant Power Core, which flows as freely with less sound, and 99.97 filtration efficiency versus 95% efficiency. Better piece-of-mind. I’ll try to post pics.

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
From experience I'd say a tuned R should be running BKR8EIX plugs gapped to 0.026" or maybe as wide as 0.028" but nothing more than that. I say BKR8 and not 7 because I live in a hotter climate (South Africa) and even our local VW dealerships have recently moved to a cooler heat-range on plugs. So that tells you something.

EHFAR

From experience I'd say a tuned R should be running BKR8EIX plugs gapped to 0.026" or maybe as wide as 0.028" but nothing more than that. I say BKR8 and not 7 because I live in a hotter climate (South Africa) and even our local VW dealerships have recently moved to a cooler heat-range on plugs. So that tells you something.

Bringing it back from the dead i guess. Im closing in on 30k in my 12 golf r and have the same misfire problem. i have the new R8 coils that i need to install, since i live in Texas (and its killer in the summers) should i run a cooler plug as well? i am not currently tuned but will be in the coming month or so. definitely a newb with plugs so any help will be appreciated

audiohs

Passed Driver's Ed
Bringing it back from the dead i guess. Im closing in on 30k in my 12 golf r and have the same misfire problem. i have the new R8 coils that i need to install, since i live in Texas (and its killer in the summers) should i run a cooler plug as well? i am not currently tuned but will be in the coming month or so. definitely a newb with plugs so any help will be appreciated
What stage are you going with the tune? You can probably use the equivalent to stock if just going stage 1 and probably can't go wrong with running a slightly cooler plug. I just installed the R8 coilpacks and NGK BKR7EIX and will be going stage 1 after I get my clutch done. If it's stage 2 or higher, then check with the tuner to see what they recommend. In the meantime, fix your misfire problem by installing your new coilpacks with some new plugs. Plugs are relatively cheap so even if you need to get new ones better suited for the tune, you can swap them out then.

EHFAR

I'll go be going Uni Stage 1+, and yeah I guess if I have to change them big deal not a huge investement. Guess I'll go with the cooler plugs for now

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Our stock plugs come with less resistance than others mentioned here. The stock plugs are 1k Ohm plugs and coils are near 3.3 M Ohm. R8 coils are 5.31 M Ohm but also send higher voltage. Once tuned, along with more boost and heat, these engines generally require more energy sent to span the plug gaps or they need a smaller gap on the plugs.

NGK PFR7B and BKR7EIX are both 5k Ohm plugs. So you add more resistance to the flow of energy with those two and then may need to reduce the gaps. This, added resistance, reserves some energy in the coil by restricting its output and allows each coil to recharge better.

NGK has the PFR7B listed as having a 0.7mm/0.027" gap, and both ground and center electrodes are platinum to last near 90k miles. So, to those wanting a fix in the form of a spark plug, the PFR7B are usually my recommendation for not having to re-gap and they last longer for not much more cost....while running genuine OE coils.

BKR7EIX are listed as having a 0.8mm/0/031" gap (last set I checked were actually at 0.7mm/0.027") and have Iridium center and Nickel ground electrodes to last near 50k miles. But you need to check their gaps. If they are sent at 0.7mm...try them as is. If they arrive at 0.8mm, as listed by NGK, you may want to reduce the gap.

Reducing the gap of the plugs is counter productive really. A larger plug gap, if the energy can span the gaps, gives it more power output. As it allows the ignition kernel to develop better. So it makes more sense to increase the ignition energy with higher resistance, and voltage, coils when tuned and when boost is increased. So that the increased violence of combustion from tuning or adding more boost will not disturb the arc when spanning the gap between the electrodes.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
It's worth mentioning that if your car is tuned, you should check with your tuner to see what they spec. For example, IE specs BKR7EIX gapped to .027", APR specs BKR8 at .024", and UM calls for BKR7 or 8 gapped way down to .019".

For reducing the gap, I find that one of these spark plug tools does a much better job than the little bottle opener thing on the feeler gauges.