GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
As per the product description, the preload of the support is adjustable and should be checked periodically. I’ve asked Danny from Darkside Developments what the service interval is on the brass support which makes contact with the input shaft and he said it depends on the application. On race / drag cars, they typically check for any movement of the brass support shaft after every race. On a road car with these power levels, they recommended checking for any movement of the brass support shaft every month or 1000 miles. Darkside Developments checked for movement on their road car after 1,000miles and there was no movement.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
That's sounds pretty awful to have to check something every 1000 miles for movement. I do 1000 miles every 2 weeks and most days don't have time to be checking the tension of a brace on my trans. And especially wouldn't do it in the middle of winter when it's 0 degrees. Just sounds like a shitty option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gustkiller

Ready to race!
This is just for manual or DSG too?

Enviado de meu SM-J700M usando Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
is that something you have to take it apart to get to? or can you inspect it from outside of the case?

On the site there's no install instructions but a picture that shows it installing sandwiched between the case with the adjuster on the outside.

If you don't want to strip 4th gear on a high torque car that's driven hard, a simple tension check every 1000 miles seems worth it.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
This is just for manual or DSG too?

Enviado de meu SM-J700M usando Tapatalk

6-speed manual.

That's sounds pretty awful to have to check something every 1000 miles for movement. I do 1000 miles every 2 weeks and most days don't have time to be checking the tension of a brace on my trans. And especially wouldn't do it in the middle of winter when it's 0 degrees. Just sounds like a shitty option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is that something you have to take it apart to get to? or can you inspect it from outside of the case?

It's actually a piece of cake, all we are doing is opening the hood and touching a lag bolt head right below the bleeder block to see if there is any play. There is a jam nut that will hold it in place. Checking every 1,000 miles is really a precaution, remember this was designed for track launches, we are looking to use it for a daily driver with the occasional 3-4th rip on the highway and maybe a few launches with street tires. I will check every 1,000 miles for record keeping, I doubt it will require any adjustment. If it does, it's as simple as re-tightening a jam nut that's accessible from the top of the trans. No need to remove the trans, open the case or anything crazy like that.

Example of the two braces I will be using:

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i would put some loctite on it or something if that's a concern. i'd be worried about tightening it too much and pushing on the shaft. unless the shaft is just that strong that i shouldn't be worried about damaging something internally.

mg_90

i would put some loctite on it or something if that's a concern. i'd be worried about tightening it too much and pushing on the shaft. unless the shaft is just that strong that i shouldn't be worried about damaging something internally.

^^ This

How much preload is enough? I am looking to do some upgrades when I get mi tranny opened but this mod is something I am not 100% sure to do...

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

^^ This

How much preload is enough? I am looking to do some upgrades when I get mi tranny opened but this mod is something I am not 100% sure to do...

I'll use loc-tite on the 4 allen bolts that hold the clamshell together. The center support has a heavy duty o-ring to seal the center bolt / brass support. In terms of the pre-load, Darkside Developments has said they tighten the center bolt / brass support enough until they meet resistance against the input shaft. I'm thinking once I can't turn it any longer by hand it's good, I would not want to add +90 degrees or use any tools. Remember, this is a support, it's only function is to rest against the input shaft to prevent it from moving outward towards the transmission case during heavy load. I have the full install guide and will work on uploading it tomorrow to post here.

Since I'm looking to completely build my 02Q, I'm now also looking into the remaining upgrades from bar-tek, especially the solid
input shaft to go along with this 4th gear shaft support. I'm currently slated to install the 4th gear support, case brace, 6th gear steel shift fork and all new OEM internals to go with my current 1-4 steel shift forks and Peloquin LSD.

Spigot bearing modification for 02M & 02Q gearbox BAR-TEK®
http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/cgi-b...num=2102m03&file=6&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche--02Q

Billet Shaft 02M & 02Q gearbox BAR-TEK®
http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/cgi-b...num=2102m02&file=5&gesamt_zeilen=0Tsuche--02Q

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
that's a lot. too bad i can't honestly say whether i think it's overkill or not. time will tell.

Are we really gauging overkill, in this, big turbo thread, for volkswagens? Where everyone loves to go overkill on meth/engine builds/turbos/manifolds/etc? lol.

I may opt for these bar-tek parts, why not, I have every other upgrade possible for the 02Q GTI trans, I'm ready to go all in to see if I can hold it together.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
On the site there's no install instructions but a picture that shows it installing sandwiched between the case with the adjuster on the outside.

If you don't want to strip 4th gear on a high torque car that's driven hard, a simple tension check every 1000 miles seems worth it.

Install guides for the 4th gear input shaft and the case brace.