GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Route 33 Canyon Run

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Hey all,

Looking to get a group together on December 5th for a fun, safe drive up route 33. No crazy, reckless driving - just a spirited run, drive within your abilities.

Please refer to this thread for final meet location and time as it may change slightly. Date is firm.

Meet time: Saturday, December 5th @ 9am.

Meet location: **UPDATED** Now meeting at VONS.
VONS
1125 Maricopa Hwy
Ojai, CA 93023
United States
Map

Depart time: 9:30am.

be prepared:

• Check tire pressure
  • Fill up before meet - or fill up at meet spot.
  • Walkie Talkies welcome!
  • Please everyone bring plenty of water and a lunch. We will stop somewhere north for a lunch break.

I'd like to get a head count started to know who is going.

thanks guys.

:thumbsup:

confirmed:
rawbdog
Trytun
krz_hayn
PRND
Aphix
steemax
Gino
jshay
untotenmk6

Last edited:

rawbdog

Go Kart Champion
I may be interested. It's near my casa.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion

Trytun

Go Kart Champion
Well I'm in. Been wanting hit this road for awhile!

Gino

Ready to race!
Dumb question, what is a good walkie for these events? I know during Last Sunday they are offered up and I never take one. Figure it would be good to know what is going on with the group of guys, that is if anything is at all. Thanks. Ill request off for this tomorrow.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
pretty sure the walkie commonly used on Last Sunday is this model listed below. Sadly, I bought a type with Mk6_Shizz that isn't compatible with these.. and that is something to keep in mind. I recommend buying what is known to work with the group.

also, in small groups, walkies aren't needed. they just help heard the group and lead when you are dealing with 20+ cars.

with a small group such as ours, every driver just pays attention to the car behind them. if a driver has an emergency, he can flash his beams. the car in front will do the same until the lead car sees and we pull over or circle back to the problem car. calling is a pain.. cause it's 1 to 1, that is why walkies are so great, since you talk with everyone on the ch at the same time.
Midland LXT500VP3 22-Channel GMRS with 24-Mile Range

krz_hayn

Go Kart Champion
pretty sure the walkie commonly used on Last Sunday is this model listed below. Sadly, I bought a type with Mk6_Shizz that isn't compatible with these.. and that is something to keep in mind. I recommend buying what is known to work with the group.

also, in small groups, walkies aren't needed. they just help heard the group and lead when you are dealing with 20+ cars.

with a small group such as ours, every driver just pays attention to the car behind them. if a driver has an emergency, he can flash his beams. the car in front will do the same until the lead car sees and we pull over or circle back to the problem car. calling is a pain.. cause it's 1 to 1, that is why walkies are so great, since you talk with everyone on the ch at the same time.
Midland LXT500VP3 22-Channel GMRS with 24-Mile Range

Actually, walkies are always a good idea no matter what size the group. Especially on routes such as the 33 where cell service can be spotty. I plan on going on this drive and will bring my supply.

Count me in!

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I'm in.

The radios being used are FRS ((Family Radio Service) radios. The brand doesn't matter, if one doesn't appear to work it is because of using the wrong channel or privacy code. I strongly recommend not using a privacy code for these events.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
Actually, walkies are always a good idea no matter what size the group. Especially on routes such as the 33 where cell service can be spotty. I plan on going on this drive and will bring my supply.

Count me in!

excellent, and good point on walkies. they are kinda cheap enough that I feel like they are worth owning.

breakfast is awesome idea.. but Ill be driving. :D

I'm in.

The radios being used are FRS ((Family Radio Service) radios. The brand doesn't matter, if one doesn't appear to work it is because of using the wrong channel or privacy code. I strongly recommend not using a privacy code for these events.

hmm, Ill bring mine and perhaps you can take a look. maybe it is something I/Dan overlooked and that would be great if we could use these. glad you are confirmed.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
I'm sure we will be able to get your radios to work.

Privacy Codes are intended to cut down on radio transmissions you hear when many radios are used in the same area. If you use one, you will only hear transmissions made on the same channel and privacy code. If you don't use one, you will hear transmissions on the same channel, regardless of whether the transmitting radio used a privacy code or not. The privacy code is essentially a permissive filter.

If radio A uses channel 6 and privacy code 9, and radio B uses channel 6 and no privacy code, radio B will be able to hear radio A because it doesn't filter transmissions. Radio A on the other hand will not be able to hear radio B because it isn't transmitting with the privacy code it expects.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I'm in... I have a couple walkies, I'll try to find them.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure we will be able to get your radios to work.

Privacy Codes are intended to cut down on radio transmissions you hear when many radios are used in the same area. If you use one, you will only hear transmissions made on the same channel and privacy code. If you don't use one, you will hear transmissions on the same channel, regardless of whether the transmitting radio used a privacy code or not. The privacy code is essentially a permissive filter.

If radio A uses channel 6 and privacy code 9, and radio B uses channel 6 and no privacy code, radio B will be able to hear radio A because it doesn't filter transmissions. Radio A on the other hand will not be able to hear radio B because it isn't transmitting with the privacy code it expects.

good explanation, that makes sense.

I'm in... I have a couple walkies, I'll try to find them.

awesome! btw, grats on the wedding. you and Sasquatch make an ok couple. still, I give it a week..

Gino

Ready to race!
Day off requested. More then likely I will get it. I have been down and in since the beginning.