GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I'd still like to know how this could work with Android phones that are NOT mirrorlink compatible.. I'm guessing bluetooth only..

Kato

Ready to race!
Does this work with the OEM MDI cable for ipod support?

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Does this work with the OEM MDI cable for ipod support?

I believe it does not, only way to connect it is through the front of the head unit and that can enable car play

One question does the phone features on the MK6 GTI work? Steering wheel, main info screen selection etc?

Yup, the steering wheel controls work.

I'd still like to know how this could work with Android phones that are NOT mirrorlink compatible.. I'm guessing bluetooth only..

Yea, only bluetooth for Android phones, no real benefit here unless you like the updated look with faster processor.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
One question does the phone features on the MK6 GTI work? Steering wheel, main info screen selection etc?

I will add to this, The steering control works as it should, however the MFI will no longer display media info.

Androids phone is only compatible with BT audio with the MK7 style menu which the headunit is build on. It isn't that bad to be honest.

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
This is interesting though after exploring upgrading my Premium 7 to the RCD 510 I learned that Vag Com VCDS programming is needed for the MFI to recognize a different model head unit. Has anyone installed one of these in a car that had a lower model head unit and if so, how did you get it to work? The video if not edited in any way looks like the unit processor is pretty fast and the touch screen sensitive which is sweet! How does it sound and will it recognize US FM or HD radio frequencies?

No Vagcom is needed, and MFI will not display ANY info from the headunit. (Because these heaunits are used in the lower VW lineup in China which does not have MFI). US FM should work fine and NO HD radio.

Mr_Dog

Ready to race!
Just to chime in.

Has this installed in our Jetta and it is leaps and bounds better than the old RCD-510 or RNS-315.

It is capacitive touch so the feel is just amazing. The UI is also so much nicer and modern. The bluetooth functionality is much better. The larger screen is also nice and the rearview camera looks awesome on it.

Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio.

If you have a RCD-310,RCD-510, RNS-315. I would say it is a no brainer upgrade. The RNS-510 might be worth keeping if you really need NAV.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Just to chime in.

Has this installed in our Jetta and it is leaps and bounds better than the old RCD-510 or RNS-315.

It is capacitive touch so the feel is just amazing. The UI is also so much nicer and modern. The bluetooth functionality is much better. The larger screen is also nice and the rearview camera looks awesome on it.

Only downside is no MFD display or upgraded audio.

If you have a RCD-310,RCD-510, RNS-315. I would say it is a no brainer upgrade. The RNS-510 might be worth keeping if you really need NAV.

How does the backup camera work with it? I have the OEM camera and I'm not seeing any port for the 26 pin connector unless I'm majorly missing something?

rucheng10

Passed Driver's Ed
Any reason to spend an extra $70 on the official version versus the cheaper hacked version?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Screw it, I just bought one. The RCD330+ that comes with carplay (the non hacked version) is on eBay for $229 shipped.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
I currently have the RNS-315 with two Alpine amplifiers.. I'm curious if this would still be straight plug and play.. Also is that the mic on the bottom left row or does it use the factory overhead mic.. Interested in hands free call quality as well.

Oh one more thing.. Is the Bluetooth built in or would I need the separate module?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
How does the backup camera work with it? I have the OEM camera and I'm not seeing any port for the 26 pin connector unless I'm majorly missing something?

Ha I have Scirocco back up camera too on my GTI, this headunit uses the MK7 type connector for the RVC, so you will need to buy two adapters. One is from our connector to AV, the other is from AV to new MK7 style.
I had this but the color is way off, so I put my RNS 510 for the mean time.