GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Water Pump Question

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Finally at 129k first water pump began leaking, have everything out and ready to put back together, new water pump is BG revision.

My original 2010 water pump doesn't have a two pin (assuming temp) sensor on the inlet elbow (thermostat). Pretty certain as it's a sensor it doesn't actuate the thermostat, rather just monitor temp at an additional position. The BG water pump revision is for the CBFA, so I believe I received the correct pump from ECS. Considered swapping the old thermostat onto the new water pump but the internals are a bit different, going to install the new BG revision as is with nothing to plug into this sensor. I assume as it I believe it's just sensor not currently coded into the car I should be fine, anyone have any experience or knowledge about this? Can add photos this evening. Looked online and at installation guides and couldn't find anything at all pertaining to that plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Attached pic of the two different pumps
Old Pump has a part #:06H 121 026 AB
New Pump has a part #: 06J 121 026 BG

Additionally, attached german auto parts part number reference for the different pumps, can anyone explain to me the difference between those that start with 06J and 06H? I am 110% certain I have a CBFA motor, as far as I can tell the one less sensor on the inlet in the thermostat housing is a CBFA thing but mine does not have that. ECS sent me the CBFA water pump as far as I can tell, does having a 2010 matter in this regard? Maybe they added the extra sensor in later CBFA motors?

Attachments

• IMG_1830.JPG
    IMG_1830.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_1841.PNG
    IMG_1841.PNG
    186.1 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Well, with a little research, using pics and the part numbers it appears my CBFA motor has had a CCTA water pump on it for at least 80k miles (my ownership), never through a code because of the one less sensor, is it possible early CBFA motors used the CCTA style pump? As far as I can tell the thermostat housings and internals ARE different, additionally the way the temp sensor that both styles of pump have, are attached to the housing of the pump differently. Old (probably CCTA pump) has a plastic clip, new (BG pump) is held by the two shorter bolts that mount the water pump housing to the block. Anyone think using this pump will work or should I just return it?

intellistar

Ready to race!
I'm not too familiar with the construction of the different water pumps, so I am not sure if it is possible to swap parts between the two engine configurations. I had mine replaced under warranty at the dealer, which made selecting the correct part a non-issue, but the better approach to verify whether or not you are CCTA or CBFA would be to look at your air intake and see if you have a breather hose attached.

The 4th picture in the link below shows which hose you are looking for:
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/neuspeed-p-flo-air-intake-red-08-16-20l-tsi

If you have a hose, you are CBFA, if not, you are CCTA.

Once you have that figured out, then you should buy the latest revision for your engine.

intellistar

Ready to race!
Well, with a little research, using pics and the part numbers it appears my CBFA motor has had a CCTA water pump on it for at least 80k miles (my ownership), never through a code because of the one less sensor, is it possible early CBFA motors used the CCTA style pump? As far as I can tell the thermostat housings and internals ARE different, additionally the way the temp sensor that both styles of pump have, are attached to the housing of the pump differently. Old (probably CCTA pump) has a plastic clip, new (BG pump) is held by the two shorter bolts that mount the water pump housing to the block. Anyone think using this pump will work or should I just return it?

Didn't realize you posted an update as I was typing a response. Personally, I would just call the dealer, give them your VIN, and ask if they have the latest revision in stock. Verify the part number, and confirm the price. If it's too high, then search online for a better price with the part number you received. I don't see the value of using an older revision part or one that may or may not fit, since it is a somewhat critical component.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Didn't realize you posted an update as I was typing a response. Personally, I would just call the dealer, give them your VIN, and ask if they have the latest revision in stock. Verify the part number, and confirm the price. If it's too high, then search online for a better price with the part number you received. I don't see the value of using an older revision part or one that may or may not fit, since it is a somewhat critical component.

Thanks for input! Have the hose for secondary air injection, and have a CBFA motor, have had it out of the car and apart, no question on which of the two engines it is.

Have ordered parts from the dealer using the vehicles VIN and I always receive CBFA parts. I will call my local dealer and see if they give me a different part number, but I'd assume it will be the part number for the latest CBFA version, the BG pump.

All indicators point to the busted pump I just removed being a CCTA pump. Not sure how or why this would be. This is only the second thing to baffle me on this car in 5 years of ownership doing all the repairs, maintenance, upgrades to the car, the first being a whistle noise due to a broken exhaust manifold stud and gasket.

I'm half willing to put it back together with the new pump and just see if it works. The additional sensor is just a sending unit and couldn't actuate anything as it's only two pin. My bigger concern is the difference in the style of the thermostat inside the inlet elbow itself is all.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
Spoke with parts guy at VW: "vehicle could be equipped CCTA or CBFA pump on early 2010 model year, check part installed on vehicle before replacement"

Guess that clears it up, ECS is usually good with RMA and new returns, so shouldn't be a big deal. Car will just have to sit another weak or so

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Spoke with parts guy at VW: "vehicle could be equipped CCTA or CBFA pump on early 2010 model year, check part installed on vehicle before replacement"

Guess that clears it up, ECS is usually good with RMA and new returns, so shouldn't be a big deal. Car will just have to sit another weak or so
i was gonna comment this yesterday but something stopped me from doing it. i dunno there is another thread (dead by now) about somebody ordereing a CBFA waterpump and how different it was than the CCTA pump.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
I just replaced the water pump on my 13' CBFA and I didn't have that sensor, I used 06H 121 026 DD that has the metal water pump. I think it's the older CBFAs that have that sensor

Last edited:

Steve Lai

Changed a water pump to my 12' GTI CCTA engine for weeks. Minor leakage is noted. Droplet coolant was seen under one of the Hexa bit in the housing of the pump. Have retightened the bolts. Will wait & observe.
Any advice ?

See photo attached

Attachments

• IMG_4896.JPG
    IMG_4896.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 761
Last edited:

Steve Lai

Changed a water pump to my 12' GTI CCTA engine for weeks. Minor leakage is noted. Droplet coolant was seen under one of the Hexa bit in the housing of the pump. Have retightened the bolts. Will wait & observe.
Any advice ?

Photo attached :

Last edited:

Calkulin

Ready to race!
Hopefully tightening fixed it for you but mine was a hairline crack that got bigger and eventually broke off near the gasket. So if it continues to leak, it could be the gasket or a crack like mine