GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ASTRID - SCCA TT National Tour & Time Attack Build

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Still editing lots of video footage, but got some cool POV shots. I have a few friends that were taking pictures that are still developing/editing them and will share as soon as I get them. I dropped the car back off at Excelerate to have the downpipe addressed as I am going on vaca and won't get back until the day before my next track day. Looks like it's going to be 80F and sunny for that day so I'll actually be able to use the Hoosiers and not be totally white knuckling in the rain on bald 340 treadwear tires.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Just got back from vacation when Excelerate gave me a sneak peak of what they found that might be causing those codes...

Good news is that while I was away, they installed the updated brand new APR cat back exhaust along with my new-to-me swain-tech coated APR downpipe (old, corsa style). Apparently the old APR downpipe doesn't mate to the new cat back and a small bit had to be chopped off the end of my APR downpipe to fit the new exhaust. Thankfully after that adjustment was made it was an easy install.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow after work. Once I get home I'll be removing my catch can, swapping out my coolant reservoir, and doing another oil change before my next track day at Palmer on Thursday. Weather is looking really good, so looking forward to finally getting seat time on my Hoosiers.

The next big event is a Time Attack at Thompson on July 5th and 6th. Looking forward to competing!

Last edited:

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Some snaps from last week's track day. All saddled up for Palmer tomorrow!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Went to Palmer on Thursday. Sweet Lord what a fun track, and I really got to break in my Hoosiers. I spent probably a good hour cleaning slung bits of rubber off the side of my car, but was totally worth it. Can't imagine how hard it would've been without the ceramic coating.

I am fairly certain I toasted my 034 street mounts as I saw a pretty concerning amount of movement from the engine after I was done for the day, so I overnighted a new set of 034 track mounts to install early next week before my Time Attack on Friday.

Photos and footage coming soon!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Out with the old...in with the new...2 days before race day. The 034 ones were definitely toast. The DSG mount was so bad that you could gently shake the housing by hand and the whole inside bushing was just flopping around.

In are custom in-house built mounts by excelerate performance, utilizing a 75A durometer rubber bushing. I'll be doing a review on these soon along with a potential group buy.

tkelly0727

Ready to race!
Out with the old...in with the new...2 days before race day. The 034 ones were definitely toast. The DSG mount was so bad that you could gently shake the housing by hand and the whole inside bushing was just flopping around.

In are custom in-house built mounts by excelerate performance, utilizing a 75A durometer rubber bushing. I'll be doing a review on these soon along with a potential group buy.

Those mounts looks interesting, i also want to get rid of my 034 mounts i feel like they are worn also. Keep up updated

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
Yea definitely interested in hearing your reviews. Been reading so many 034 street mounts failing with K04 which I currently have also, need a better alternative

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Love the fact those VW logo's on the wheels are in focus! Good shots. How did the Hosiers hold up?

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
Wow look another 034 mounts that failed. Not shocked. Iono

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Yea definitely interested in hearing your reviews. Been reading so many 034 street mounts failing with K04 which I currently have also, need a better alternative

034 makes a next grade up that may be more appropriate for the power you have and the way the car is driven. I ran the 034 street mounts without failure for a few years which included some small amount of track time. I think that longevity is generally good if you do both of the pendulum pucks and the pendulum arm at the same time to minimize rotation of the drivetrain and not put everything on the trans and motor mount.

On my current build I moved from K04 to larger turbo and upgraded the mounts as the car is going to be track only and driven hard all the time.

Blaznjoe

Drag Race Newbie

The Excelerate track mounts look like another great option. I had the 034 Street mounts and never cared from them from day one. They do the job for the folks seeking minimal NVH but I personally did not trust them to hold up for track. That said..........

034 makes a next grade up that may be more appropriate for the power you have and the way the car is driven. I ran the 034 street mounts without failure for a few years which included some small amount of track time. I think that longevity is generally good if you do both of the pendulum pucks and the pendulum arm at the same time to minimize rotation of the drivetrain and not put everything on the trans and motor mount.

On my current build I moved from K04 to larger turbo and upgraded the mounts as the car is going to be track only and driven hard all the time.

..........I switched from the 034 "Street" to the newer 034 billet "track" mounts when they launched them many years ago. (I also have the 034 pendulum mount and Neuspeed insert.) My rig is manual and I was seeking minimal engine movement during shifting even as a daily driver and occasional road tracker. I'm satisfied with the set up although my rig has been assigned as a Sunday driver/garage queen.
:eek:

zrickety

The Fixer
I have VWR mounts waiting to go on...
Car looks great anyway!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Lots to catch up on here...

Yesterday and today was the SCCA National Tour Time Trial event at Thompson Speedway in Connecticut. I registered in the T4 class, but didn't quite understand the class rules so when I got there they bumped me to the Unlimited 2 class due to running a Hoosier tire. Regardless, didn't necessarily care about class but the goal was to set a decent lap time. What differentiated this event from the prior track events is that this one is officially timed, whereas the Track Night events are not.

It was a 2 day event consisting of over 7 sessions (3 practice, 4 time attack) which equated to over 2 hours of seat time. It was HOT. ~90F, 75% humidity. They ran us by run group (novice, intermediate, advanced) instead of by class. Being that this was my first dry event at Thompson I figured I was better off in novice.

The practice sessions went very smoothly and laid down a respectable 1:25.2 which put me in 2nd place in novice (out of 20+ cars) behind a C7 Corvette Grand Sport who put down a 1:24.9...throughout the day I made small gains in time, but so did he. Finally at the beginning of the 2nd day during the first time attack session I got within 3 hundredths of a second, but wasn't able to successfully make any more gains in time. Unfortunately, there were some VERY slow people in our run group that made getting good flyer laps difficult. Regardless it was an absolute BLAST putting so much pressure on a 70K+ car, and even the vette driver let me go ahead of him for a couple sessions so we could take turns chasing each other. We were pretty much dead even the entire event.

Despite missing Top Novice, I am still incredibly proud of how the car performed. The car got hot, and I meant HOT. Oil temps reached 290F but DSG and coolant temps remained stable. I will need to replace my center O2 sensor and will likely do the primary just to be safe. Throughout all of this I learned so much and gained an incredible amount of trust with the car. It was a bond between man and machine like I've never experienced before. The Hoosiers gave so much grip that my hips/lower back are SORE. I will likely benefit from a proper seat and harness.

That being said, SCCA recently made a rule change that if you are running a Hoosier tire, you need to be at safety level 2 which includes a roll bar, harness, fire suit, extinguisher, and something else I can't think of, none of which I had. Thankfully Heyward Wagner (who is an awesome guy by the way, if you ever get a chance to meet him) gave me a pass, but I'll likely have to invest in some safety gear if I'll want to continue to participate in SCCA events. The local time attack events I run with CART don't follow these rules nor do the Track Night events follow these rules so I won't have to make any immediate changes.

If you want to see an awesome video of me duking it out with the C7 vette I mentioned earlier, look no further-- https://www.instagram.com/p/BzlfV3Oh_bx/ -- I had several people come up to me afterwards wondering what the heck was up with the car, they definitely were not expecting for me to put up such a fight!

The XLR8 mounts held up amazingly well and will be drawing up a review either today or tomorrow--stay tuned. I originally had my eyes on VWR/034 but it was 2 days before the event and I needed something ASAP. I did have a 034 pendulum and VWR subframe pucks which is likely why my 034 street mounts lasted as long as they did...but they definitely aren't for KO4+ power levels.

Grabbit

Go Kart Champion
sub'd