GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I might actually have to take my car to a mechanic

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Yesterday I drove down to San Diego for a conference 100 miles round trip. No problem. Did the same drive today and the car suddenly has a very noticeable humming sound coming from the transmission and a noticeable clunk from where the CV joints enter the transmission when turning the front wheels from side to side while stopped. The humming is present even in neutral and/or with the clutch in.

Took the wheels off to check the CV joints and struts and swaybar. Broke 2 sockets with a 24" breaker bar trying to get the lugs undone. The dealer rotated the tires last time I had an oil change and torqued down the lugs WAY too much. I had to use an impact wrench and even that struggled to break them loose. The dealers here are just plain incompetent.

I think I am going to have to have a mechanic look at this one. Tranny work is above my pay grade. Perhaps a bearing? Idk.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
What about engine mounts? How much can you move your engine by hand? I have never tried before so I have no baseline. I dunno. I am not going to drive it as it is getting worse and I am hearing things clunking around when I hit bumps and what not. Something is broken somewhere.
I have an appointment Fridat to see whats up.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to hear, lets hope its not the ring gear. No you can't move the engine by hand.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
The more I think about the symptoms the more I think it is a motor mount.
I hope so. Sorry I can't be of help, I replaced them awhile back coz of the track driving and have the habit of replacing stuff before it breaks, or at least having parts on hand.

The Engine/Transmission mounts are easy enough to do, you don't meed a mechanic just need to support the engine/transmission with a jack during the R&R.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
We'll see. I have just been riding the motorcycle for now and will take the car in tomorrow and see what they say. It drives and shifts totally fine but I can tell something is loose and I don't want to risk breaking something. I am curious if a busted or excessively worn mount may have caused other issues at the CV joint or something along those lines.

Good thing I finished my bike last weekend.

https://imgur.com/a/naOOix8

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
We'll see. I have just been riding the motorcycle for now and will take the car in tomorrow and see what they say. It drives and shifts totally fine but I can tell something is loose and I don't want to risk breaking something. I am curious if a busted or excessively worn mount may have caused other issues at the CV joint or something along those lines.

Good thing I finished my bike last weekend.

https://imgur.com/a/naOOix8
:thumbup: Super COOL !!!

Back on topic, take a look at the video of the Engine/Transmission Mount R&R above.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright. Motor mounts seem alright. It seems all the noise is coming from the diff. I will change the tranny fluid and see what happens. If it's the diff I might as well just run it till it breaks and deal with it then. Cost is the same either way.

Last edited:

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Alright. Motor mounts seem alright. It seems all the noise is coming from the diff. I will change the tranny fluid and see what happens. If it's the diff I might as well just run it till it breaks and deal with it then. Cost is the same either way.
Sorry, BUT getting stranded on the road is the $hit$.

Use http://www.car-part.com/ to source a replacement 5 Speed Tranny or upgrade to a 02Q 6 Speed like FlowMK6.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry, BUT getting stranded on the road is the $hit$.

Use http://www.car-part.com/ to source a replacement 5 Speed Tranny or upgrade to a 02Q 6 Speed like FlowMK6.

If it's a new tranny I may just part it out and say F it. Between the tranny and the throttle issues, I'll be over it.

Not sure it's the tranny. I can hear the tranny and this noise simultaneously at times. It is getting much worse. I have driven 100 miles since first hearing it and then it was very faint only above 70mph. Now it is all the time and very loud only after 2 trips to work. Here is a video. You can hear me let off the gas and let it coast in the beginning. Then all you hear is what sounds like 4x4 tire noise. That is the sound and it is not the tires but does sound like either a bearing or gear howling.

https://youtu.be/w7OoXfG4URU

My hope is it's a wheel bearing but there is no play in either wheel but that doesn't mean it's not the issue. It came on suddenly and has worsened so quickly that I could see the wheel being the issue.

I am going to replace the engine mounts as well once this is ironed out as they are definitely worn but not the culprit here.

Last edited:

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Well the Golf sucks another $900 outa me. Turns out it was in fact a wheel bearing..thankfully. He busted out the stethascope to confirm. $450 to replace which is reasonable actually given the part is $200 at AutoZone. I paid them $60 for diagnostics and told them I would do it myself.

Ordered
2 new FAG wheel bearings
2 new front rotors
New brake pads
3 qts G052 gear oil
034 street density motor mounts

Figured I will do the front brakes while I am at it as they are original and I just did the rear. Then might as well do the tranny and engine mounts as well and make a day of it. Am replacing the HPS rear pads as well with OEM textar as I hate the HPS pads. They are loud (not squeeky) and dusty as hell.

So I can check everything off my to do list for what it would have cost me to have a mechanic do just the bearings.

I just replaced ALL the bearings on the Harley over the last month. What a PITA but the VW should be much easier. No races to pound out and press in..no shims. Ugh. I am so done with bearings.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
glad you found the issue.

Wascally Wabbit1

Drag Racing Champion
Ya. Agreed. I'm going to go back to the stock setup and stage 1 when I do the motor mounts. I have smog due in October and I figure I'll do everything at once and drive it around that way for a couple months to see if the throttle issue is better without the IM.