GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI 6 speed side relay lever snapped and stuck

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Hey all

Been awhile since I posted here but in need of some help. I recently had my mk6 gti 6 speed plastic side to side shift relay lever snap on me, so went to go replace the endlinks and side to side lever today and the piece that snapped off is stuck inside the hole.

I tried everything from drilling it out and using the power of Thor’s hammer to push it out but it only breaks up and continues to stick almost like it burnt to the inside of the mounting hole.

Outside of removing the shifter tower? I am not sure what to do or what truly goes involved in removing the shifter tower to get access to drill out the stuck/burnt in plastic of the original side to side relay lever.

I see two 13mm bolts on top but when I remove them it doesn’t budge up too far I am not sure if the sensor or any other bolts need removal

First pic shows the new side to side shift relay lever and the long piece that broke off inside the second picture

Attachments

• DD6CFBEE-9C8C-45E8-B5D9-7061F8D06142.jpeg
    DD6CFBEE-9C8C-45E8-B5D9-7061F8D06142.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 0DFDB9E9-830E-4898-B59D-FF4420A8C4C5.jpeg
    0DFDB9E9-830E-4898-B59D-FF4420A8C4C5.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Can you remove the front-to-back lever in order to gain more clearance to push the snapped pin out?

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Can you remove the front-to-back lever in order to gain more clearance to push the snapped pin out?

I was able to loosen the shifter selector rod enough to spin it slightly counter clockwise to gain more room, had to end up drilling out the plastic piece that remained but all is good now lol, apparently my locking mechanism was broke can’t recall how or why maybe when my tension failed and the shop who replaced my head and timing chain sheared it? But thanks to some diesel geek video online that showed how to adjust the linkage with no locking pin she is back to 100%

torga

Autocross Champion
Happy to hear that!