GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Smog in CA and k04

zync

Ready to race!
I have a K04 kit by HPA tuned by APR. I had a catted downpipe but put on the stock one due to not passing smog. Should I be able to pass smog with the stock downpipe on now?

Attachments

• rsz_2019-10-15_15-22-56_281.jpg
    rsz_2019-10-15_15-22-56_281.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 231

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I have a K04 kit by HPA tuned by APR. I had a catted downpipe but put on the stock one due to not passing smog. Should I be able to pass smog with the stock downpipe on now?

You may not pass with an APR tune. If I recall they disable the O2 sensor check to eliminate the Check engine light you may get when running the aftermarket downpipe. You would need to flash back to stock, clear all error codes and drive for a number of hours to reset things. Then you should pass. I have passed with KO4 in CA before and I did what I have recommended. Many folks have had this issue with the APR tune, most other tunes don't disable that check.

zync

Ready to race!
You may not pass with an APR tune. If I recall they disable the O2 sensor check to eliminate the Check engine light you may get when running the aftermarket downpipe. You would need to flash back to stock, clear all error codes and drive for a number of hours to reset things. Then you should pass. I have passed with KO4 in CA before and I did what I have recommended. Many folks have had this issue with the APR tune, most other tunes don't disable that check.

Thank you. Can anyone confirm? This is a lot of money.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
You may not pass with the the tune. You can run an obd emissions readiness test to see if the tune disables the O2 readiness. In California safest to put stock downpipe stock intake and stock tune on to pass smog otherwise they won't be able to tell you have an k04 installed.

zync

Ready to race!
Can anyone confirm if I need to flash back to stock? Otherwise it's a waste of $150..

torga

Autocross Champion
Can anyone confirm if I need to flash back to stock? Otherwise it's a waste of $150..
If the tune disables O2 readiness, then you absolutely need to flash back to stock; you will never pass if readiness is disabled. One way to ensure if it does is to call APR directly.

zync

Ready to race!
If the tune disables O2 readiness, then you absolutely need to flash back to stock; you will never pass if readiness is disabled. One way to ensure if it does is to call APR directly.

Will contact them. Thank you.

zync

Ready to race!

This is the case. Waste of $150.. Thanks.

torga

Autocross Champion
This is the case. Waste of $150.. Thanks.
Now you know for next time. In a state like CA, if you wanna have fun with cars, you have to budget some cash to appease the government.

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
I have the APR 3.1 tune on my K04 and I can change between Stock. 91, 93 and 100 octane files from the steering wheel column stalk. My stock file tune allows me to pass smog with readiness but all the others do not (91, 93, 100 oct). I went back to stock air box and removed my catch can but left my APR catted downpipe on and passed smog. If the tester would have looked for an aftermarket downpipe I am sure I would not have passed but he did not so I passed as described above. BTW I will need smog again this summer and I plan to do the same as last time.

Jiffyjetta

Ready to race!
You will need either the switching option, or a reflash. I've heard Cali is pretty strict, in Oregon you can have 1 unready monitor and still pass.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
This is one reason I went with a tuner like eurodyne when I was in Cali so I had complete control over my time and could flash my car how I pleased.