GOLFMKV

3 car seats in the back of a MK7.5 (2018) GTI...how

Minivan is not an option

• Agreed, but harder

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
No, I'm not buying a minivan. We're trying to figure out our options for my 3 children in the back of my wife's GTI (7/5/infant). The 7 and 5 year old are now both in boosters, but with the width needed for the baby's larger drop-in seat "cradle" its really hard to actually buckle in the seatbelts for the two older ones each time we get in/out of the car.

Seatbelt extenders seem to be the obvious fix, but they're not recommended (and I can see why, the geometry is all off plus there's now another point of failure in the event of an accident).
The Graco boosters they have aren't the narrowest on the market, but they're also not the widest. What's annoying is my 7 year old has ~3"+ on each side of her hips, this is space that could be used for a narrower (and safer) booster...

What have 3 children-having Golf drivers done for car seats?

For reference we bought one of the slimmest infant seats on the market- Chicco Key Fit 30 at 17inches wide. The boosters are Chicco and 17 inches wide as well. The slimmest boosters we've found is 15.2inches wide for boosters from Graco. We have tried different arrangements, with the infant seat on an outside seat or the middle seat as well.

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
What have 3 children-having Golf drivers done for car seats?

IMG_1368-1024x683.jpg

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Baby seat behind passenger and the two boosters in the middle and behind driver? Tbh it's gonna be hard no matter what without a upgrade

zrickety

The Fixer
It won't work. I believe when they are 8 years old you can put them up front without the booster. Or maybe in the middle of the 2 in the back, but it's a tight fit.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

I saw an orange one the other day that was slammed and fell in love. Such a sexy looking suv when it is lowered and made to look more like a wagon.

With a rear facing seat I don't see how you can make everyone fit comfortably. We have a Diono car seat which is one of the narrowest and I think I could fit 3 wide in the back of my GTI but the rear facing cradle style car seats are so much bigger. Check out Diono they make narrow seats and boosters that might give some extra room.

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
It won't work. I believe when they are 8 years old you can put them up front without the booster. Or maybe in the middle of the 2 in the back, but it's a tight fit.
Up front doesn't help.

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
Not possible. Part of being a parent is driving a vehicle you wouldn't before having kids. Sorry but that's the facts Jack.

golfdave

Autocross Champion

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Got a set of narrower boosters that actually might work as per test fit. I'll report back in a few weeks...

Not possible. Part of being a parent is driving a vehicle you wouldn't before having kids. Sorry but that's the facts Jack.

To quote my wife "Why is somebody who says that on an enthusiast's forum?!"
(She's pregnant and angry)

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...

hillstrubl

Out driving Mieke...
Baby seat behind passenger and the two boosters in the middle and behind driver? Tbh it's gonna be hard no matter what without a upgrade
Tried that but it somehow fits worse. At least when its in teh middle the 3 seats "nest", the problem is the horns/arms of the (former) boosters block access to the seat belt plugs.