GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review - Shuenk TSI K03+ Turbo - Dyno

mars2

Ready to race!
CHRA is 118.48 Pound not 265 or we don't see the same thing? So 118 is today 150USD
I have a philosophy only change it if it fail.
Other wise you spend your life buying all kind of thing you don't need or going to doctor because you think you are sick. This is called hypochondria.
Some have Hypochondria for their car. Then you have to change your piston ring because they are old, your pinion in your gear box........................

So for me it's only
150 and 180 (90+90) that you really need. so 330. Sorry I forgot the freight.

Any way my point was not to fight with you. I just wanted to leave an other option for some who might be intrested.
I like a lot the K04 Ebay turbo thread on the B8 forum and I invite you to read it.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/827653-the-official-ebay-K04-threadI went myself a different road doing a IHI hybrid thats is not far from a K04 by just implementing in it a RS7 wheel on a B8 CHRA and Manifold. Giving without tune 278G/S ( I'm still on my stage 2 for oem turbo, My tuner is too busy at te moment)
I do respect that you went a different way and feel it very intresting.
So long.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I look forward to your before and after dyno’s.

My comparison was for someone to buy what you said vs buying this assembly to get the same result. This turbo does not have stock internals as it has an upgraded turbine and compressor wheel. So you act like you are know but clearly you don’t.

I wanted a bolt on solution and that is the point of the post.

Thx ?

1776dmc

I think Doug is going to run his car on the dyno with the Uni stg2. I tried to flash mine last night with my Uni connect cable and it says my account is no longer active! So until that gets fix I can’t run the tests on my car.
Alright cool. I am curious as to how boost feels and the curve on the dyno.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
I 'm opposite to you.I'm a fan of recycling.
We have really to stop consuming our planet need it.
Great, so people who do proper mechanical repairs are now to blame for destroying our world. Give me a break. You probably reuse stretch bolts too because "eco-friendly".

You dont mix and match parts on a turbo replacement. It is like pulling the whole engine to do a timing chain and then you just reuse the old tensioner because recycling makes you feel good or whatever. Good luck with that, youre playing on borrowed time.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
CHRA is 118.48 Pound not 265 or we don't see the same thing? So 118 is today 150USD

So for me it's only
150 and 180 (90+90) that you really need. so 330. Sorry I forgot the freight.

Any way my point was not to fight with you. I just wanted to leave an other option for some who might be intrested.
I like a lot the K04 Ebay turbo thread on the B8 forum and I invite you to read it.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/827653-the-official-ebay-K04-threadI went myself a different road doing a IHI hybrid thats is not far from a K04 by just implementing in it a RS7 wheel on a B8 CHRA and Manifold. Giving without tune 278G/S ( I'm still on my stage 2 for oem turbo, My tuner is too busy at te moment)
I do respect that you went a different way and feel it very intresting.
So long.

mars2 brings up a couple relevant dynamics taking place in the aftermarket. First, there will always be people who want to source their own parts to cobble together a unique turbo. Is it cheaper than buying something complete and ready for use? Probably not, but the unique-factor has a value for some folks.

Secondly, and more importantly, the forum thread he links to is a powerful example of the challenges FrankenTurbo will face in the future: Chinese manufacturers offering cut-rate performance turbos direct to the US market. Our spinoff brand of Shuenk is meant to answer that challenge. We will be offering these products as inexpensively as possible and selling them direct to customers. Like the Chinese factories selling on Ebay, there is no room for a "middle man" markup. Basically the new normal for our market segment is selling at wholesale. As long as consumers gravitate to cheap pricing and little else, our budget brand of Shuenk answers that demand.

I will make at least an attempt at appealing to more than buyers' wallets, though. No Chinese company works to understand the market and offer innovative products as we do. And no Chinese manufacturer has even a basic understanding of how these cars operate. Technical support or advice? Forget that. You won't find any mention of seller support in that "Official Ebay K04" thread. And while no one there is willing to admit it, those turbos are unreliable and fail on their buyers very quickly.

zrickety

The Fixer
Yeah I don't care if the Chinese turbos were buy one get one free, I'd rather cobble a turbo together with used oem parts.
The quality control is just not there.

doug@frankenturbo

Turbos Galore
We've heard from more than one potential customer that the wastegates on the OEM turbos "rattle". They pointed me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl4AuMc8zfg

The person on the video is demonstrating a "fix" for the slop in the actuator rod/wastegate arm assembly. But rather than a clip to hold things together more firmly, there should be spring tension on that wastegate arm. The turbo in the video clearly does not have any spring preload applied to the wastegate valve (flapper). It spins loosely. How common is this fault? Our own turbos have a different actuator rod design that has an adjustable clevis, but nevertheless it's not common for our customers to have to re-tighten the preload over time.

Bottom line, that clip being shown in the video isn't fixing the underlying problem. A lack of preload on the wastegate valve will kill the turbo's responsiveness.

IHI Mk6 turbo wastegate arm.jpg

tofuD01

Ready to race!
We've heard from more than one potential customer that the wastegates on the OEM turbos "rattle". They pointed me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl4AuMc8zfg

The person on the video is demonstrating a "fix" for the slop in the actuator rod/wastegate arm assembly. But rather than a clip to hold things together more firmly, there should be spring tension on that wastegate arm. The turbo in the video clearly does not have any spring preload applied to the wastegate valve (flapper). It spins loosely. How common is this fault? Our own turbos have a different actuator rod design that has an adjustable clevis, but nevertheless it's not common for our customers to have to re-tighten the preload over time.

Bottom line, that clip being shown in the video isn't fixing the underlying problem. A lack of preload on the wastegate valve will kill the turbo's responsiveness.

View attachment 167431

Have you managed to look at your stock turbo to check on this?

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Have you managed to look at your stock turbo to check on this?

The arm, the rod from the arm to the gate, and the gate itself were all worn on my IHI. There was nothing I could do to fix it. Mine had the clip on it as well. The rattle was embarrassing.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Any update with a unitronic stage 2 file with the k03+?

I don't plan on dropping another $200 + my time to do dyno runs on the Uni stg 2. As my experience with Uni in the past, it was always lower numbers than my COBB, APR, or IE tunes. So it will be up to Doug to get you guys those numbers.

1776dmc

I don't plan on dropping another $200 + my time to do dyno runs on the Uni stg 2. As my experience with Uni in the past, it was always lower numbers than my COBB, APR, or IE tunes. So it will be up to Doug to get you guys those numbers.
I already assumed Doug would be the one doing the testing with the Uni tune since you said you do not have your Unitronic account anymore.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
I already assumed Doug would be the one doing the testing with the Uni tune since you said you do not have your Unitronic account anymore.

Yeah I did get that resolved because I paid for the tunes and the uniconnect so they should continue to provide me the tune. Just for the principal of it you know.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
There are alot of basic questions in this thread that can be answered if you check out this informative video:

He goes in depth about the waste gate arm, how it should feel when working right, how it has little to no spring tension when busted. Good vid

tofuD01

Ready to race!
The arm, the rod from the arm to the gate, and the gate itself were all worn on my IHI. There was nothing I could do to fix it. Mine had the clip on it as well. The rattle was embarrassing.
I know the feel....that rattle off throttle.... bzztzbzzztbzzzzt >_>