GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Any recommendations for helmets? Just realized my local autoX understandably isn’t loaning helmets due to COVID, so I’ve been looking through local listings. I need Snell M/SA2005+ or ECE 22.05 for my local chapter

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Any recommendations for helmets? Just realized my local autoX understandably isn’t loaning helmets due to COVID, so I’ve been looking through local listings. I need Snell M/SA2005+ or ECE 22.05 for my local chapter
I got a cheapo from a brand called Conquer. It’s super basic, but meets the requirement,

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I got a cheapo from a brand called Conquer. It’s super basic, but meets the requirement,
EDA0D91B-1D00-4581-8A87-22B1136CE3BA.jpeg

Snagged this on the local for sale apps for $53! ECE R22-05 certified and hardly used

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Where do you live? Most clubs around the me require sa2015 or newer certification
Shoot now I’m second guessing... I’m in San Antonio/Houston TX. SCCA only requires M/SA2005+ or ECE R22-05 for autocross (what I was going off), and my local clubs SASCA and SPOKES just state “DOT or Snell approved” and “Unless otherwise stated, Autocross events are governed by the Sports Car Club of America’s rules.” Did I goof and really buy the wrong helmet here?
D8D9F93F-D589-444D-B8B5-4CB69750C698.png

06A3C820-7705-4B08-B94C-EEFBAC348118.png

5C5AC37F-2A88-4E09-A824-9636326345DE.jpeg

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Ah ok I think you're fine. Autox seems to be a little more lax than track days.
I figured. Also I came across a mint white Shoei RF-1100 that (at least from measurements) should fit a tad more snug than the BiLT. Might pick that up tomorrow, rated to Snell M2010 and says it’s approved for HPDE’s and NHRA Super Pro, Pro and Sportsman series lol. 🤷‍♂️

I watched some videos and I can just barely fit four fingers into the top of my current BiLT helmet, which means too big? Would I be denied for having a slightly loose helmet? I can shake it around a bit but it’s tight enough that it doesn’t come off if I force it with the chin strap on

Also thanks for answering my super noob questions guys

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Don't bother, Snell ratings are good for 10 years, tops. You won't be able to use it anywhere after this year.

Also, your helmet should be SNUG. Borderline uncomfortable. You'll get used to it after awhile and it will break in slightly. But that sounds like it's way too big.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Don't bother, Snell ratings are good for 10 years, tops. You won't be able to use it anywhere after this year.

Also, your helmet should be SNUG. Borderline uncomfortable. You'll get used to it after awhile and it will break in slightly. But that sounds like it's way too big.
My experience with helmets has been that comfort is where the expensive helmets set themselves apart from the cheap ones. If you lay out the cash for a nice Shoei or an Arai, you get a helmet that fits properly and is super comfortable. In contrast my budget Conquer helmet isn’t very comfortable, but I’m only wearing it for 30 minutes at a time so I can deal with it.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Warning, old fart rambling on.....

I went through quite a few helmets. They used to last a long time, then the sanctioning bodies decided that changing out helmets every few years was a good idea. Same with seat belts, window nets & fuel cell bladders. Man did that get expen$ive.

Back to helmets. For auto-x I think any cheap helmet that fits & meets the required spec would be OK. For track use I'd sure not want to buy a cheap helmet.

Fit is very important, both for comfort & safety. In a decent shunt a loose helmet can & will leave your head. A lighter helmet is also more comfortable. I never worried about the weight, but it made a big difference for my wife. At the end of a race her neck would really be very sore. Carbon fiber helmet & horse collar helped her a lot. No HANS in those days.

Wear your helmet around the house to get used to it & break it in. You don't want to break it while on the track. Don't need that distraction.

I always wore open face helmets. My last helmet was a closed face with a large eye port. Hind sight is 20/20, but I should have been using a closed face all along.

Have fun, be safe.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Warning, old fart rambling on.....

I went through quite a few helmets. They used to last a long time, then the sanctioning bodies decided that changing out helmets every few years was a good idea. Same with seat belts, window nets & fuel cell bladders. Man did that get expen$ive.

Back to helmets. For auto-x I think any cheap helmet that fits & meets the required spec would be OK. For track use I'd sure not want to buy a cheap helmet.

Fit is very important, both for comfort & safety. In a decent shunt a loose helmet can & will leave your head. A lighter helmet is also more comfortable. I never worried about the weight, but it made a big difference for my wife. At the end of a race her neck would really be very sore. Carbon fiber helmet & horse collar helped her a lot. No HANS in those days.

Wear your helmet around the house to get used to it & break it in. You don't want to break it while on the track. Don't need that distraction.

I always wore open face helmets. My last helmet was a closed face with a large eye port. Hind sight is 20/20, but I should have been using a closed face all along.

Have fun, be safe.

Really great advice thanks!

I found an old Balaclava and tried that with the helmet and it fits much better around my head, real snug. But my cheek pads still are looser than I’d like.

Not as big a deal for AutoX, but yes I’ll definitely follow the advice from you and Jay and be 2015+ once I start HPDE/open track. The current SCCA Solo helmet requirements can be found here and even at my local clubs, M2005 is good until December
My experience with helmets has been that comfort is where the expensive helmets set themselves apart from the cheap ones. If you lay out the cash for a nice Shoei or an Arai, you get a helmet that fits properly and is super comfortable. In contrast my budget Conquer helmet isn’t very comfortable, but I’m only wearing it for 30 minutes at a time so I can deal with it.
Yeah I went to a cycle shop yesterday and that seemed to be the case. Some of the expensive ones are crazy light and comfortable. Still annoyed because I asked them if it fit properly being a noob and they checked it out and gave me the all clear, said as long as it’s not sliding off when moving it side to side...

AM407

Autocross Champion
Expecting to get flamed for this, but...

I’ve heard you can buy fake Snell stickers to put on an old helmet? Did a quick Google search, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe it’s real dark web stuff. ;)

I’ve got a nice full-face Bell that is only Snell SA2000. They closed our local track in 2010, so it’s basically been sitting in its box in the garage for a decade (I did use it once for a track day in 2010. Nobody checked the sticker.)

I realize a newer helmet will be safer, but c’mon, I’m confident that my helmet is safe enough to do an afternoon of lapping in a street car. I don’t have the time to go to the track regularly, just want get out maybe once this summer and don’t feel the need to buy a new helmet just for that.