GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
No flames from me. It really hurts to have a perfectly good helmet that has timed out. Not sure I'd put a black web Snell sticker in my own helmet, but it's your choice.

Sometimes tech people are easy & sometimes they can make life very difficult. HPDE tech seems pretty lax.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Yeah, even when my helmet was current, I don’t remember anyone checking the sticker. Just didn’t want to take the chance.

But it just occurred to me that I could bring my Shoei M2010 motocross helmet as a backup. Could wear that instead, on the off chance my auto helmet gets rejected. Pretty sure Snell M is accepted for track days around here.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I’m definitely not daring enough to try that lol.

I’ve also read that even if your helmet isn’t M2005+ or SA2015 that it can still be approved if it has the ECER 22-05 rating? Supposedly the Euro spec stuff is more stringent than DOT or Snell and seems to last longer but again I have zero experience here. FWIW my helmet is a mid 2018 with ECER22.05 rating and DOT FMVSS no.218 🤷‍♂️

Edit: ECE ratings are only more stringent than DOT and early Snell. Newer Snell test beyond speeds/impacts that ECE tests for

Last edited:

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Expecting to get flamed for this, but...

I’ve heard you can buy fake Snell stickers to put on an old helmet? Did a quick Google search, but couldn’t find anything. Maybe it’s real dark web stuff. ;)

I’ve got a nice full-face Bell that is only Snell SA2000. They closed our local track in 2010, so it’s basically been sitting in its box in the garage for a decade (I did use it once for a track day in 2010. Nobody checked the sticker.)

I realize a newer helmet will be safer, but c’mon, I’m confident that my helmet is safe enough to do an afternoon of lapping in a street car. I don’t have the time to go to the track regularly, just want get out maybe once this summer and don’t feel the need to buy a new helmet just for that.

You may be right, your helmet might be fine for a few more years, but I still wouldn’t tempt it because that seems to be a good way to get blacklisted.

When it comes to fitment, keep trying smaller sizes until it physically hurts to put on and go a size up. It should be snug, but it shouldn’t tear your ears off when you put it on. I also like to shake my head left and right pretty violently to see how much it moves. It’s going to move a small amount as the padding compresses, but it shouldn’t flop around.

AM407

Autocross Champion
As for fit, I know Shoei used to say something like it should be “as tight as you can comfortably stand.” So, not painful, but not exactly “comfortable” either.

Most people I see are in a helmet that is probably a size too big. I’m a normal-size guy, and my Shoei is a small. It was tough to get on and off at first, but is easier now that it’s broken in a bit. It’s tight, for sure, but I can happily wear it all day.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
I went to CycleGear this time and the cashier actually does autoX with SASCA so he was a great help. Brought my helmet in and he said it would definitely pass tech but that if I were on a bike or tracking I’d probably want to go one size down to a small and go with a Snell 2015 rated. He actually carries the same BiLT in a size small brand new on sale for $69.99 so I might try to return the one I just got for a better fit. Definitely noticeable between a proper fit and one size too big

Quick edit: luckily I was able to return the last one. Pretty darn stoked about my new setup! Thanks everyone for the advice/input. Really happy with how this turned out for under $100!
1ADEBAD2-5D48-4152-AC5B-12A5153A21D7.jpeg

Last edited:

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I'm running .1 degree toe in F/R. It's a lot looser than stock, but still very stable.

I bought a Zamp helmet from Amazon. It was around $160.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Huge bummer, they just canceled tomorrow’s autoX event. Governor Abbott announced this morning outside gatherings of 100 or more are banned due to covid, club sent out an email an hour later. Y’all stay safe. Cases spiking here in TX...

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Dialing back on the toe out up front really helped stabilized the car during high speed braking.

I‘ll also record it here, 1:50.5 personal best at Road Atlanta yesterday.

Handling feels sorted, although I think I’d like a Stern brace because the rear of the car feels numb to me. Need more power now.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
My weekend at Grattan went great, got up there Friday night and setup a tent in the paddock, grilled and chilled and then it downpoured for a few hours. Got wet. Oh well. Saturday morning the track was a little slick which was fun but it dried up fast and I was able to have some fun. Didn't break my personal best at that track but came within .03 of it so I guess that speaks for consistency. I haven't changed anything on the car since the last time I was there other than maintenance. Had a great time all said and done. Camped out at the track saturday night again and drank some beers with the lady and her sister. I'm going to Gingerman this weekend.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Do you have a canopy to provide you respite from the sun? Once I got one it really made a difference.

Although stupid me went years baking in the sun until my fried brain cells figured it out. Comfortable chair, cooler with plenty of water - food & shade. Oh yes race car, tires & tools. ;)

jay745

Do you have a canopy to provide you respite from the sun? Once I got one it really made a difference.

Although stupid me went years baking in the sun until my fried brain cells figured it out. Comfortable chair, cooler with plenty of water - food & shade. Oh yes race car, tires & tools. ;)
A canopy is about the only thing I don't have. I really need to get one though it would have been a game changer this past weekend. I just about pack my car full though, I don't know how I would fit it in. If I'm going out of state I usually camp at the track. Tent, cooler, air mattress, track box, tools, 2 5 gallon fuel jugs, a grill, 2 chairs and my car is completely full.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
At least you track a hatchback. (y) I wonder of it could slip in through the hatch & rest on the top of the dash. Those canopies come in many sizes, you don't need a large one. Try to make one fit if you can.

jay745

At least you track a hatchback. (y) I wonder of it could slip in through the hatch & rest on the top of the dash. Those canopies come in many sizes, you don't need a large one. Try to make one fit if you can.
I am going to try and condense what I bring with me. I think if I fill my meth tank up before I leave and turn it off on the trip to the track I can get away with only bringing one of the 5 gal jugs. My tent is on it's last legs too, I'm going to get something smaller. It's huge right now which is cool but it takes up a lot of space and is a pain to setup. My track bin is pretty big too, might have to go to home depot and see if I can get a smaller one.

It is nice to have things at the track but it's a trade off.

SmartSelect_20200630-115918_Instagram.jpg

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I‘m definitely going to have to invest in a canopy and a semi comfortable chair at some point. I’m the kind of pale that can only handle about 45 minutes of sun before I start to burn.