GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 2.5 today?

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Over 200k km (125k Miles) the rollers on the serpentine belt tensioners start to get noisy, you can change out just the faulty roller or change all the rollers and tensioners like I did.

EDIT: If anyone needs to replace a front wheel bearing, I got one, new in the box I can let go for $45 CAD
Did you replace the wheel bearing yourself? What are the signs to look for a bad wheel bearing?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hey Vinnie, good to hear from you!

Our wheel bearing started to emmit a low howl when starting to turn the steering wheel to the right a little off center, this was the case with the drivers side bearing a year and a half ago. The passenger side that we recently replaced started the same way last Fall, started with a slight rumble when ever we turned the wheel slightly to the left, but over the winter it got louder and louder and became a full howl turning left.

EDIT: You should make sure it's not tires noise tho, before you replace the bearing.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Hey Vinnie, good to hear from you!

Our wheel bearing started to emmit a low howl when starting to turn the steering wheel to the right a little off center, this was the case with the drivers side bearing a year and a half ago. The passenger side that we recently replaced started the same way last Fall, started with a slight rumble when ever we turned the wheel slightly to the left, but over the winter it got louder and louder and became a full howl turning left.

EDIT: You should make sure it's not tires noise tho, before you replace the bearing.
Yeah, I'm gonna get my summer tires balanced at Andrews next week, hopefully that will fix the steering wheel vibration at speed above 100km.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
He invited me to work on the Golf over in the corner of his shop, like i did when i replace the first wheel bearing but there is hardly any room to work the Orange Mustang GT that was written off at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is in the way, ....so I did the work at Home.

If the tires are out of round balancing may not fix it.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I did it all, hole in the condenser let all the R134a escape.

Bought a cheap condenser from Florida, bought Harbor Freight venturi vacuum pump and a manifold and gage set. Installed condenser, used Harbor Freight AC Manifold and gage set with venturi vacuum pump to pull a vacuum for 25 minutes then refilled with R134a by weight.

Vinni, you probably just need a top up, unfortunately I don't have any cans of R134a and the border is closed. The Truck Stop in London where the 401 splits to the 402 sometimes has stock or used to.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Got the driver gears springs with oem GTI struts and mounts installed today at Almost Racing, super happy with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_171551.jpg
    IMG_20200702_171551.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20200702_171602.jpg
    IMG_20200702_171602.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20200702_171616.jpg
    IMG_20200702_171616.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20200702_215648.jpg
    IMG_20200702_215648.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 109

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Looks great Vinnie. Were the DG’s new.... they’ll settle a bit. The Fast’s look great. I had them shortlisted, but, ended up going with some light weight Enkei’s. We’ll have to meet up with Mark @MLue1 and any other GTA folks.

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
Looks great Vinnie. Were the DG’s new.... they’ll settle a bit. The Fast’s look great. I had them shortlisted, but, ended up going with some light weight Enkei’s. We’ll have to meet up with Mark @MLue1 and any other GTA folks.
Yes, they are brand new, so I will wait a week or two before I book for an alignment. The drop is perfect for now, because this is my daily and I drive alot. When I do the alignment, I gonna request a omething like -1.2 in front, and -2 in rear for camber, close to 0 toes all around. I might change my tires to 225 instead of 215. Any thoughts?

usefulidiot

Go Kart Champion
Yes, they are brand new, so I will wait a week or two before I book for an alignment. The drop is perfect for now, because this is my daily and I drive alot. When I do the alignment, I gonna request a omething like -1.2 in front, and -2 in rear for camber, close to 0 toes all around. I might change my tires to 225 instead of 215. Any thoughts?

My preference on an 8" width would be to stay with the 225, but, all personal preference. My H&R sport springs took about 1000km to settle. What's your rear diffuser and where did you get it? I can see it from the side and it looks sexy

v1nn1e

Go Kart Newbie
My preference on an 8" width would be to stay with the 225, but, all personal preference. My H&R sport springs took about 1000km to settle. What's your rear diffuser and where did you get it? I can see it from the side and it looks sexy
Yeah, I think 225 would be perfect for the drop I got. The tires I got on right now are 215, and they are stretched just a little, would be good if I go lower on coilovers. The rear diffuser is the oem GTI diffuser, I converted to dual exit GTI exhaust long ago.

Theonlycam

Passed Driver's Ed
I did it all, hole in the condenser let all the R134a escape.

Bought a cheap condenser from Florida, bought Harbor Freight venturi vacuum pump and a manifold and gage set. Installed condenser, used Harbor Freight AC Manifold and gage set with venturi vacuum pump to pull a vacuum for 25 minutes then refilled with R134a by weight.

Vinni, you probably just need a top up, unfortunately I don't have any cans of R134a and the border is closed. The Truck Stop in London where the 401 splits to the 402 sometimes has stock or used to.

Funny you guys are talking about the AC, I'm getting my condenser and hose replaced on Wednesday at Mississauga VW for $1200, being soaked with 6 hours of labor, but I'm not confident to do it myselfand that is the cheapest quote I got. Im driving up to lake superior provincial park next weekend and need the AC done beforehand lol

edit: does anyone know when the alternator typically goes in our car? maybe looking to do some preventative maintenance

Last edited:

janz3n

Hey guys. Question. When I did my h&r sport springs I disconnected my axles from the trans using the 6 bolts. I'm not used to working on German cars at all. I noticed the grease and the actual CV joint is visible once disconnected. Is there any type of seal for the axles ? I have driven much since I did it so I haven't noticed any grease come out because iv taken the exhaust apart to replace the manifold flange bolts and gasket.

I'm a Honda guy and a tech at a FCA dealer and vowed to never own or work on a German car but this golf is not bad to work on , I'm actually finding it as easy or easier than my Honda aside from having to buy a triple square set of sockets.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Got the driver gears springs with oem GTI struts and mounts installed today at Almost Racing, super happy with the results.
Looks fantastic Vinnie (y)

Funny you guys are talking about the AC, I'm getting my condenser and hose replaced on Wednesday at Mississauga VW for $1200, being soaked with 6 hours of labor, but I'm not confident to do it myselfand that is the cheapest quote I got. Im driving up to lake superior provincial park next weekend and need the AC done beforehand lol

edit: does anyone know when the alternator typically goes in our car? maybe looking to do some preventative maintenance
That price sounds about right for that repair at a Canadian VW Dealer.

The Alternators should be good for a while, I wouldn't replace as a maintenance item. The early ones (2010 and some 2011) are single stage charging the ones after 2011 are 2 stage, the charging is reduced the closer you are to full charge; so when you change your battery you have to reprogram to tell the ECU the battery is new, ... other wise you wind up under charging the battery.