GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Do you run any additional apps on your phone to use the Bluetooth GPS? Also where do you have your GPS mounted?
no additional apps. it syncs to harry's like the obd2 reader does

i have these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M9CZYTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PGHRLQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and yes - the portable friction mount sticks like magic. I just lay it on top of the dash, you can see it slightly behind the phone in this video:

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Got back from gingerman, fun times but it was cut short by my charge pipe blowing off mid way through the 5th session. Unfortunately the clamp failed and I was sure it was going to pop off again so I just sat the other 2 sessions out and had a 4th of July beer early. I had just put down my fastest lap of the day at 1:44.3 too. Really wanted to get into 43's but that's ok.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I’m using Harry’s LapTimer and OBDLink MX+ as well, but I will say it’s not very accurate. I’ve noticed significant differences in lap times between HLT and manually timing video footage. It appears my phone app lags behind and doesn’t update as frequently as it should. I’m looking at upgrading to an AIM Solo or possibly a VBOX, price is definitely a factor though.

Here’s my best lap at VIR last month. Car needs an oil cooler before I hit the track next, temps reached 275F by the end of a 30 minute session.

275F coolant temp or oil temp?

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
My temps got really up there too, saw 270 oil temps.. reading up I think I might have gotten too small of an oil cooler. It's a 16 row setrab, from the looks of things I should have gotten a 25 row.

I’m in the process of installing a 19 row Mocal cooler now Jay, so fingers crossed it’s enough. I’ll find out soon enough.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
If you’re running a good oil I wouldn’t think it would be much an issue. Even Mobil 1 is good for well over 300 degrees F. An oil cooler can’t hurt anything though, and having the oil temp closer to the coolant temp Is definitely ideal.

I would agree that the oil is definitely good for 300F, it just comes down to a longevity concern for people routinely tracking their car for long 30+ minute sessions in the heat.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
How about a running a racing oil like Amsoil Or Redline?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
My temps got really up there too, saw 270 oil temps.. reading up I think I might have gotten too small of an oil cooler. It's a 16 row setrab, from the looks of things I should have gotten a 25 row.

Maybe add water meth to keep cyl temps down which should help. I did and it worked for me. I also found that the DSG trans shares the same coolant with the engine, so I added a trans cooler to keep temps down in trans, that also seemed to help. Along with all the other good suggestions above.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Maybe add water meth to keep cyl temps down which should help. I did and it worked for me. I also found that the DSG trans shares the same coolant with the engine, so I added a trans cooler to keep temps down in trans, that also seemed to help. Along with all the other good suggestions above.
I've got water meth, dual nozzle. I have a manual trans though

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
How about a running a racing oil like Amsoil Or Redline?
Those would probably be fine, but synthetic stuff you can get on sale at Wal-Mart works too. I guess the ultimate test is to send an oil sample to a lab for analysis. I haven't started my car since parking it from the last track day, so I might do that and see what comes back.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Those would probably be fine, but synthetic stuff you can get on sale at Wal-Mart works too. I guess the ultimate test is to send an oil sample to a lab for analysis. I haven't started my car since parking it from the last track day, so I might do that and see what comes back.

I'm just wondering if running a higher level (Group 5) synthetic oil with more friction modifiers like Moly would help keep it cooler. These engines seem to shear the hell out of some oil.

Testing is certainly the best way to check. I have sent a few samples in.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
i typically run samples on all the oil i run. a bit excessive but it's the best way to tell. red line oil has a lot of moly in it, multiple times more than most boutique oils