GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Track Rats Still Active?

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
First autoX down, another tomorrow about an hour away.

Car definitely needs some tires and suspension work, too many power mods. It rotates great on the street but on those super tight back and forth turns it feels soft and laggy almost. Weakest point now tho is without a doubt my low tread all season tires.

I recorded all 6 runs but it looks like the mount shifted around so I can’t see too much of what I need to work on unfortunately. First two runs were DNF because I got lost haha. Then I shaved off about 30 seconds between my 3rd and 6th runs.

Otherwise the car ran great and really impressed me. Very happy with my first time, but I can’t wait to improve. Awesome group of people out there as well. I’m definitely hooked on this though, I want more!

zef

Drag Racing Champion
GTI's are much cheaper to replace than Caymans. Also, I'd take a tensioner failure over an IMS bearing failure any day. Cool cars for sure though.

Once this next iteration of my build gets sorted, I think I'll be perfectly content with how the car sits...until I save up for a roll cage at least.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
So I’ve been doing a lot of reading but I’m still confused with all the different verbiage, technicalities, etc...

Going K04 and upgraded clutch puts me in Street Modified right off the bat for autoX is that correct?

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
So I’ve been doing a lot of reading but I’m still confused with all the different verbiage, technicalities, etc...

Going K04 and upgraded clutch puts me in Street Modified right off the bat for autoX is that correct?
They’ve switched up the classing a bit since I last ran, but I think it’s still true that an upgraded turbo lands in SM.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Anyone using octane booster?

Running a 91 tune. Gas pump gives me 92 (its an oregon thing). Looking at throwing in some octane booster to bump it up enough to safely (key word) run my 93 map

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Tou can "safely" run your 93 map with 92 in the tank. ECU will retard timing as necessary. ECU is designed to allow for fuel quality issues and can drop as much as 12 degrees of timing. Of course you may get just a touch more power but probably not woth it, doubt it would make a difference you could feel.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I had to run 87 on the stock tune when a hurricane knocked out a bunch of refineries and 93 wasn’t available. The car was down on power and didn’t run as smoothly, but it still got around without exploding.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Tou can "safely" run your 93 map with 92 in the tank. ECU will retard timing as necessary. ECU is designed to allow for fuel quality issues and can drop as much as 12 degrees of timing. Of course you may get just a touch more power but probably not woth it, doubt it would make a difference you could feel.

I should mention I am not worried about power increase. That will come with the tune swap. I am worried about pulling too much timing.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
I should mention I am not worried about power increase. That will come with the tune swap. I am worried about pulling too much timing.

And that is what I am indicating, that running 92 oct fuel with a 93 oct tune is going to be just fine and will only cause ECU to make very minor adjustments.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
And that is what I am indicating, that running 92 oct fuel with a 93 oct tune is going to be just fine and will only cause ECU to make very minor adjustments.

The ECU is capable of handling 87oct put in by accident for instance. Car will run fine but have slightly less power, that would be 4 octane points. I have personally had my water meth system fail completely at the track when my car was K04/336whp running 100oct tune with only 91 in the tank. I ran the whole session and really didn't notice that much reduction in power, not recommended but the VW system is very capable of handling variations in fuel octane on a broad level.

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
https://datazap.me/u/wh1rlybird/log-1598132407?log=0&data=0-5-7-8-9

Swapped to the 93oct tune for the first time since 2015. Put in a splash of octane booster for insurance.

Im really happy to see the above numbers. Pulling only 4.5 degrees only briefly. The 91 tune was doing exactly the same so might as well get some real power out of it. Crazy to feel the extra 15-20 ponies again. The car has never been so lean and so fast. I really want to get back to the 1/4 mile to get into the 12s. Eventually Ill get to portland to lay down a time portland international raceway.

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
I had a great day at Laguna Seca yesterday. I ran with the Point By group. Everyone was supposed to have 4+ days of experience and it showed. I lined up 2nd or 3rd in every session and spend the majority of the day badgering a guy in a C7 Grand Sport coupe. In the third session I was right on his tail and he got out of shape and decided to let me by. I was cackling like a madman. LOL!

In the forth session I was pushing the car pretty hard and the DSC was kicking in a lot. I got stuck behind a WRX for a couple laps and he wasn't letting me by. Then my oil light came on and the car went into limp mode. I pulled into the pits let it sit for about 30 seconds and the CEL went away. I did 2 more laps and the car seemed fine. After the session I checked the oil and it was in the bottom of the normal range so I added 1/2 a quart. I checked the OBD and there weren't any codes. I'm assuming that it was high oil temperature.

I had several laps in the 1:50:XX range. My PB was a 1:50:53. That's 2 seconds faster than my previous PB.

I ran 35 PSI HOT in the RS4s. I was getting even temps all the way across the tires. The fronts were in the mid 150s and the rears were in the mid 120's.