GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Planing a clutch and rear main seal DIY

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
2012 gti pzev

My rms has been leaking for a while and I’m finally deciding to diy it. I’m almost at 150k miles so i want to replace the clutch as well. I have read several other threads on the topic but most are a few years old so I want to get a more detailed and updated list of parts and tools I would need for the job. I’m only looking for oem or similar after market parts as I am not tuned.

I know I could search and find exactly what I need but I’d rather keep it all in one thread. I might even be ok with just getting a recommended part number for the new pcv, clutch and rms and the best place to purchase everything.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Southbend clutch kit

iAbed billet rear main seal

RKX PCV upgraded diaphragm

GolNat

Autocross Champion
What Joe said but if your stock and gonna stay stock I’d just get another OEM Sach’s clutch. I’d get a new dual Mass flywheel also.

Purchase from whoever is cheapest. The prices fluctuate. FCP Euro is a good starting place for part numbers.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
What Joe said but if your stock and gonna stay stock I’d just get another OEM Sach’s clutch. I’d get a new dual Mass flywheel also.

Purchase from whoever is cheapest. The prices fluctuate. FCP Euro is a good starting place for part numbers.
Thanks for your input man. I have everything in my cart right now ready to purchase. Just checking if this is a good DMFW to get. Also is it necessary to get a new one or just recommend? Crazy that it’s so expensive.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...qzSMlmJntTpV_flRnJx3hrKnoRdgWF8BoCxjcQAvD_BwE

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Thanks for your input man. I have everything in my cart right now ready to purchase. Just checking if this is a good DMFW to get. Also is it necessary to get a new one or just recommend? Crazy that it’s so expensive.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...qzSMlmJntTpV_flRnJx3hrKnoRdgWF8BoCxjcQAvD_BwE

Yeah that is the OEM DMFW which is a good choice.

It is not necessary. You can have the original one inspected/measured and resurfaced, I just went new for peace of mind.

How many miles are on it? If you are paying a shop I'd do everything.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
Yeah that is the OEM DMFW which is a good choice.

It is not necessary. You can have the original one inspected/measured and resurfaced, I just went new for peace of mind.

How many miles are on it? If you are paying a shop I'd do everything.
I’m at 150k miles. I drive pretty soft and I don’t feel any slipping on my current clutch. Just changing it out since ima be down there anyways and I’m doing all the work myself. No shop.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I’m at 150k miles. I drive pretty soft and I don’t feel any slipping on my current clutch. Just changing it out since ima be down there anyways and I’m doing all the work myself. No shop.
With that many miles you should definitely replace the flywheel. The OEM flywheel cannot be resurfaced because it is a dual mass flywheel. Best of luck doing the clutch and RMS.

Make sure you replace vital one-use fasteners such as flywheel bolts and pressure plate bolts. Part numbers at the link in my signature.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Like Tony said I'd get a new one with that many miles.

I forgot DMF can't be resurfaced.

zrickety

The Fixer
Sounds like you already ordered parts, but I have a nice Sachs SMF (single mass) performance kit on the shelf if you're interested. It's lightly used, nothing wrong with it, would give you a good deal.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
Sounds like you already ordered parts, but I have a nice Sachs SMF (single mass) performance kit on the shelf if you're interested. It's lightly used, nothing wrong with it, would give you a good deal.
Haven’t ordered the flywheel yet. How will this performance one pair with the stock clutch and how will it effect the drive? If it’s not too different I’ll take it.

zrickety

The Fixer
Haven’t ordered the flywheel yet. How will this performance one pair with the stock clutch and how will it effect the drive? If it’s not too different I’ll take it.

The SMF is lighter and faster, comes with it's own Sachs clutch. I'll send you pics this afternoon.

Cheder9000

Ready to race!
If you haven't already, check out the link in my signature. There's good clutch and RMS install tips, pictures, and links in that post. Let us know if you have any more specific questions.
Thanks for the link man. Found a lot of helpful stuff. A few things I haven’t found details on are if I have to drain the engine oil and trans oil and what is it that I have to bleed?

kosmaras

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for the link man. Found a lot of helpful stuff. A few things I haven’t found details on are if I have to drain the engine oil and trans oil and what is it that I have to bleed?
Engine oil is not required to be drained and refilled, unless you scraped old RMS material and it fell into the block. If you're paranoid, you can change it.

Transmission fluid is optional. When I did mine, I did because I pulled both axle flanges out and didn't want trans fluid pouring out into my chest.

You only need to bleed the clutch throw out bearing at the bleeder block, which is tied into the brake reservoir.

zrickety

The Fixer